Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
sport mode or P mode?
7391 13 2017-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
surfnhunt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 398625 ft
United States

i have a question..... i fly every day and learn things every day does sport mode use the battery life faster than P mode? what mode do you fly in?
2017-12-20
Use props
Toorboy
Captain
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

hi surfnhunt yes sport mode will eat into the battery quicker. most of the time i fly in P but sometimes i go for sport it just depends on my mood lol sport is handy for getting to a long distance object then back to p for some manovers and back to sport to get home or its handy in higher winds situations but watch the battery % to make sure you get back hame
2017-12-20
Use props
Dockater
First Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Using sport mode will use power quicker, similar to the way a car in sport mode will use more fuel. How much depends on the way you fly. Returning from a distance towards the end of a flight is not good with sport mode and has been the downfall of several people. You may of course be forced to use sport mode to fly against a strong wind.

All modes have their advantages and disadvantages, following a moving sports car is not something for tripod mode, and sport mode is not the best to get smooth film shots. The use of object avoidance also uses power and effects speed. Beware in sport mode you have no automatic object avoidance and the ac can take a hell of a way to stop unless you apply reverse thrust so to say.
2017-12-20
Use props
surfnhunt
lvl.3
United States

thanks for the info
2017-12-20
Use props
allyssongemelli
Captain
Flight distance : 2562467 ft
Brazil

Yes, you have to domain the P mode and be sure what are you doing before you start using S mode. S mode is quicker, but can be dangerous. Take care!
2017-12-20
Use props
ATJ
Captain
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

S-Mode (Sport) - The handling gain values of the aircraft are adjusted in order to enhance the maneuverability of he the aircraft in the S-mode. The maximum flight speed of the aircraft is increased to 20 M /s in the mode.
Note that Obstacle Sensing System is disabled in this mode.

Gleaned from: P4 Instruction Manual
2017-12-20
Use props
surfnhunt
lvl.3
United States

i guess i should rephrase my question.... if im flying to a set location and im in P mode does it use less battery than S mode even though it takes twice as long to get there?
2017-12-20
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

For me, start on P mode up until I've reached desired altitude then blast off in S-mode. I almost 99% fly in S-mode. The P4P is a rocket ship on rails.
2017-12-20
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you floor the gas pedal in your car to go as fast as the car can travel you will burn up the gas quicker than if you drive at 55mph. I fly only in sport mode to quickly reach my filming location if I need too.
2017-12-20
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

I only use sport mode if i have to get back quickly or trying to get some distance and back. Just remember the stopping distance will be greater.
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, Sport Mode will consume the battery quicker, and the specific time depends on your operation. I'd suggest to practice in P Mode until you know well of drone capability. BTW, take care when you fly in Sport Mode as the obstacle sensing will not work.
2017-12-21
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

surfnhunt Posted at 2017-12-20 10:16
i guess i should rephrase my question.... if im flying to a set location and im in P mode does it use less battery than S mode even though it takes twice as long to get there?

The most efficient speed to fly is about 29mph air speed.  On the standard P4 you can't do that in P mode without turning obstacle avoidance off, so sport mode probably is more efficient as long as keep the speed down around 29mph.  On the other P4 models you don't need to turn OA off to reach 29mph so most efficient is probably flat out in P mode.

However it will be effected by the wind speed.  If you have a 30mph head wind then there is no point being in P mode going almost nowhere, better to go flat out in sports mode and make some progress.  If you have a 30mph tail wind then at 30mph ground speed you are effectively hovering with 0 air speed, you want to add 29mph for best efficiency so flat out in sports mode is again the most efficient!

If you are not sure then first decide if it is safe to turn obstacle avoidance off, if it isn't then go flat out in P mode, if it is then use sports mode but keep the speed in the low 30s mph.

Also if you are flying out to a target, keep a watch on the low battery RTH, if you fly too fast in sport mode then the max distance before RTH reduces significantly due to the high power consumption, turning back to P mode will allow the batteries to recover and increase RTH distance back to normal.  If you are flying back on a nearly empty battery then high power consumption can cause a premature critical landing due to low voltage, turning back to P mode when the battery gets low allows full use of the battery.
2017-12-21
Use props
kfife
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-12-21 04:10
The most efficient speed to fly is about 29mph air speed.  On the standard P4 you can't do that in P mode without turning obstacle avoidance off, so sport mode probably is more efficient as long as keep the speed down around 29mph.  On the other P4 models you don't need to turn OA off to reach 29mph so most efficient is probably flat out in P mode.

However it will be effected by the wind speed.  If you have a 30mph head wind then there is no point being in P mode going almost nowhere, better to go flat out in sports mode and make some progress.  If you have a 30mph tail wind then at 30mph ground speed you are effectively hovering with 0 air speed, you want to add 29mph for best efficiency so flat out in sports mode is again the most efficient!

EXCELLENT DESCRIPTION.   To borrow a term from aviation, you could also say that the most efficient speed to fly is 29 TAS (True Airspeed) (as in not ground speed).
2018-10-21
Use props
Celipio Varea
lvl.1

Chile

Spot mode drains battery very fast
2018-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules