Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Direct Georeferencing with Inspire 1
1167 2 2017-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RChidwick
New

Canada

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if the Inspire 1 is capable of direct georeferencing (DG) such that GCP's are not required.  I have been reading about DG and I sounds like it the same as photogrammetry, can anyone explain the difference between DG and photogrammetry?

The Inspire 1 has gps and each photo taken has the gps data embedded in the photo, so to me it sounds like it is doing DG.  However, some drone manufacturers are marketing DG as better on top of their normal drones, which then gets me wondering if DG is more than just GPS data in each image.

I found one source saying that drones with DG employ GNSS.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me understand how these are the same/different, and how drones employ these different technologies.

Thank you.
2017-12-20
Use props
jimdow528
lvl.1

United States

When dealing with DG using drones, you might consider using curved flight lines.
2018-9-20
Use props
jimdow528
lvl.1

United States

Adding the capability to do direct georeferencing does require some additional sophisticated hardware/software/processing; however there is a much simpler way to make significant improvements without going all the way to DG.  Use curved flight lines along with oblique imagery.  Refer to the following research:  Minimising systematic error surfaces in digital elevation models using oblique convergent imagery Rene Wackrow    Jim H. Chandler First published: 16 March 2011   https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1477-9730.2011.00623.x  Results of the simulation process, the laboratory test and the practical test are reported in this paper and demonstrate that an oblique convergent image configuration eradicates the systematic error surfaces which result from inaccurate lens distortion parameters. This approach is significant because by removing the need for an accurate lens model it effectively improves the accuracies of digital surface representations derived using consumer‐grade digital cameras. Carefully selected image configurations could therefore provide new opportunities for improving the quality of photogrammetrically acquired data.
2018-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules