DJI Goggles RE Unboxing, Analog Testing, Ocusync Air Hookup...
4532 7 2017-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneRacer101
lvl.1
United States

I have started a playlist on my channel for the DJI Goggles RE. So far I have done two videos.

1. Unboxing of the goggles and testing the analog testing:
The DJI Racing Edition Goggles are a great option for someone that wants one set of goggles to use with their DJI Mavic or Spark and wants to fly racing drones also.  They are very versatile with the analog receiver.  Some of the decision DJI made for this are a little odd, like the left hand polarized antenna, but as long as you know that going in they work really well.  In this video I unbox the DJI RE Goggles, go through the setup of DJI Assistant V2, show the menus and settings on the goggles and then test the analog receiver flying inside.

2. How to properly hook up the DJI Ocusync Air Unit.
The DJI Ocusync Air module has the potential to be a game changing device.  It includes an HD camera, provides uplink from the DJI Goggles RE to the quadcopter so you don’t need a radio receiver, provides video downlink from the quadcopter to the goggles so you don’t need a video transmitter.  It’s compatible with your existing radio transmitter via the trainer port, at least if you have a FrSky Taranis.  And it uplinks with your flight controller to provide an SBUS connection and reads telemetry data.  It says this is an OSD connection but for the data we are getting now that is kind of overstating it.  At least it provides live voltage from the quadcopter so that you can see that data.  

Let me know if you have questions and want a video on anything specific.  I have one planned just for the antennas because they are confusing a lot of people.

2017-12-20
Use props
AKdroneflier
lvl.2
United States

Can the Ocusync Air unit be powered from the 3s  “charger monitoring” wires of the battery in the quadcopter?,.. this would presumably at least give voltage status back to the RE Goggles?  Can a FrFky Taranis or similar radio controller be used to fly a generation 1 dji phantom (and linked to the RE Goggles by cable?) If not, why not?   What exactly is the flight controller in a generation 1 Phantom and where could you connect on it to get the rest of the available “flight data” to have it communicate back to the RE Goggles? The ads and several YouTube reviewers state that the Ocusync Air unit “can be used on almost anything”, from digital FPV flying  racing drones, RC airplanes, RC vehicles, robots, etc.,... so why is this “not compatible” for a dji generation 1 Phantom with a little hacking? (or Phantom Vision 2 or 3 for that matter?),.. I know this isn’t “plug and play”, but with all those experienced racing drone builders out there, it can’t be that hard to do, can it?  I can’t be the only one interested in FPV flying one of these older version drones.  Anybody out there? Thanks
2017-12-23
Use props
DroneRacer101
lvl.1
United States

AKdroneflier Posted at 2017-12-23 10:41
Can the Ocusync Air unit be powered from the 3s  “charger monitoring” wires of the battery in the quadcopter?,.. this would presumably at least give voltage status back to the RE Goggles?  Can a FrFky Taranis or similar radio controller be used to fly a generation 1 dji phantom (and linked to the RE Goggles by cable?) If not, why not?   What exactly is the flight controller in a generation 1 Phantom and where could you connect on it to get the rest of the available “flight data” to have it communicate back to the RE Goggles? The ads and several YouTube reviewers state that the Ocusync Air unit “can be used on almost anything”, from digital FPV flying  racing drones, RC airplanes, RC vehicles, robots, etc.,... so why is this “not compatible” for a dji generation 1 Phantom with a little hacking? (or Phantom Vision 2 or 3 for that matter?),.. I know this isn’t “plug and play”, but with all those experienced racing drone builders out there, it can’t be that hard to do, can it?  I can’t be the only one interested in FPV flying one of these older version drones.  Anybody out there? Thanks

The Ocusync Air could be powered from the balance lead wires on the battery as long as you install a JSX-XH connector on the wires so you can plug it in.  But, as of the time of my review the Ocusync Air module would not read this voltage and use it for the OSD.  That info had to be provided by the Flight Controller.

I don't have a Phantom 1 but it looks like it has a Naza installed that could support the SBUS connection.  It's not that different than the people that are using a FrSky receiver in their older Phantoms.  But as I said,  I don't have one to try it with.
2017-12-27
Use props
AKdroneflier
lvl.2
United States

Hi DroneRacer101, Thanks again for your great videos and information!  I watched your YouTube video on the Ocusync Air setup and testing, great stuff!,.. it helped me understand a lot more about the Ocusync Air unit.  I checked my dji Phantom 1 more carefully and mine is a model P3300 v.1.1 with a NAZA-M v.2 flight controller (I presume running Lightbridge?), and its dji remote controller radio is a model DJ6 v1.1.1 operating at 2.404 to 2.476 GHz.  This drone still works fine in dji “stock” configuration, so I don’t want to do anything that is likely to “mess it up”, but I’m not opposed to converting it for Ocusync Air FPV flight and/or control with a FrSky Taranus X9D Plus remote controller radio, if those would be improvements? (Anybody out there that has done the FrSky Taranus flying modification on one of these, please chime in).  BTW, the original Phantom Advanced Manual shows an “Extension Power Cable” inside the base of the front right arm “provided for DIY use” and it states that the voltage is the same as the battery voltage (red +, gray -), so that might be a better place to get power for the Ocusync Air module?  Thanks again.
2017-12-27
Use props
fans784c129c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1172267 ft
Czechia

I saw your youtube channel. Good job :-). Few last day I tested Ocusync Air Unit also. Here is my post.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-132733-1-1.html
2018-2-1
Use props
Skymax2
lvl.3
Australia

Really wishing I had not bought this as now I have to buy a FrSky Taranis new radio and a new Flight Controller just to fly a $140 foamy! Too much cost and work for small return I will Ebay my Ocuysnc unit, it is made for technical masters to configure not ordinary pilots like me.
2018-2-1
Use props
Maxheadspace
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have the Goggles RE and am buying an OcuSync bundle, but I don't want to use any of the racing-type flight controllers.  What DJI flight controller is compatible with the OcuSync Air?  The NAZA M v2?  The N3?

Thanks!

Max
2018-4-14
Use props
Bill-NM
lvl.2

Maxheadspace Posted at 2018-4-14 11:16
I have the Goggles RE and am buying an OcuSync bundle, but I don't want to use any of the racing-type flight controllers.  What DJI flight controller is compatible with the OcuSync Air?  The NAZA M v2?  The N3?

Thanks!

Max, the Pixhawk for sure. That's not DJI of course, but it's a great controller.
2018-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules