Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Film Like a Pro with ActiveTrack
12Next >
15865 49 2017-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Grace
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Film Like a Pro with ActiveTrack

Ever since drone technology became available to everyone, perhaps no industry saw a greater impact than aerial photography. By controlling a high-definition, gimbal-stabilized camera in the air, people could now capture landscapes, cities, and subjects like never before. Among the technologies that have helped creators to shoot professionally, ActiveTrack may have proved the most useful and important.
If you have never heard of ActiveTrack before, haven’t tried it yet, or aren’t sure how best to use it when filming with your DJI drone, learn right now!

What is ActiveTrack?
The ActiveTrack function debuted with the Phantom 4 in March 2016, giving aerial photographers an easier, safer way to achieve a cinematic shot while flying. When enabled, ActiveTrack follows a chosen subject throughout the shot, whether they are walking along a trail, driving a car, or even swimming in the ocean! While intelligently tracking the subject, the drone will use its vision and sensing systems to maintain safe flight, letting users focus more on getting the right shot. With the power to fly and film like an experienced photographer, it’s no wonder that ActiveTrack has become a mainstay for every drone that came after the Phantom 4!

Enabling and Using ActiveTrack

Before we get into how to use this powerful function, let’s go over a quick review of which DJI products feature ActiveTrack. They are:
1. Inspire 2
2. Phantom 4
3. Phantom 4 Advanced
4. Phantom 4 Pro
5. Mavic Pro
6. Mavic Pro Platinum
7. Mavic Pro Alpine White
8. Spark

In addition to these drones, ActiveTrack is also a useful tool available on the Osmo series handheld gimbals.
How AcitveTrack works
Let’s take a look at how AcitveTrack works. Because this feature needs a strong GPS signal and use of the drone’s vision systems, it’s only available when you enable P-mode (Positioning mode). Make sure your drone is set to P-mode so you can use ActiveTrack.
Once you’re in ActiveTrack mode, go ahead and tap or draw a box around the subject onscreen while using DJI GO 4. A helpful tip for drawing a box: try your best to include the whole subject within the box, while keeping out as much of the background as possible. This will help maintain the most accurate tracking of your subject.

Three Options for using ActiveTrack
One your subject is selected and recognized, you can begin using the powerful feature for making creative, cinematic footage. Keep in mind that you have different options for using ActiveTrack.
  • Trace

The aircraft tracks the subject at a constant distance. You can use the Roll stick on your remote controller or onscreen slider in DJI GO 4 to fly around your subject in a circle.

The aircraft tracks the subject at constant angle and distance from the side. Like Trace, you can use the Roll stick on your remote controller to fly around your subject in a circle. Also, while the Phantom 4 series and Mavic Pro series can avoid obstacles while flying in Profile mode, Spark cannot.
  • Spotlight

The aircraft will not trace a subject automatically, but it keeps the camera pointing at the subject during flight. The remote controller can be used to maneuver the aircraft, but yaw will be disabled. Using the left stick and gimbal dial will adjust subject framing.

by1.png

Best Uses of Active Track

Now that we have the basics down, let’s start filming! The usefulness of ActiveTrack can’t be over-emphasized because users have been finding new ways to capture different kinds of footage in new ways. If you’re looking for some ideas, take a look at a few recommendations for using ActiveTrack on your next flight.

Subjects

Of course, you can get going with filming your friends, but with a powerful drone, why not think bigger? In fact, get in a car and let your drone follow your car! This will give you perfect road trip footage to show that adventure isn’t just about the destination, but the journey as well.

Better yet, get out in the open water! Just like road vehicles, a drone can follow and fly around boats, yachts, and other types of watercraft, letting you get the perfect shot of your vacation at sea level.

You can also make a moving shot of unmovable objects. If you encounter some amazing historical sites or breathtaking piece of architecture, why not get the perfect view of it? Using ActiveTrack will help you create smooth, consistent, pro-level footage while you fly around the building.

Activities
It’s time to get active! It’s amazing to think that a drone can keep a subject in the center of the frame without having to wear some kind of tracking device, and this lets you open the possibilities to whatever you can imagine. Take your next jog, hike, or even swim to a new level with ActiveTrack filming you every step of the way. Even if your subject is speeding through the open road on a bike or riding through a huge wave on a surfboard, ActiveTrack will recognize and keep up to give you an action shot all your friends and social media fans will love!

Tell Your Story
Of course, the real power in fantastic footage is capturing the moment and everything that goes into it. Doing so will tell a kind of story that needs no words. Find uncommon, secluded locations and fly around your subject to film them from an epic perspective.

Instead of going big, you can also keep the shot more up close and intimate, filming your subject in their natural element, doing what they love best.

Things to Keep in Mind
Before you step out and use ActiveTrack to make your next great video, it’s worth considering a few tips to make sure your flight not only goes smoothly but is also safe.

Aircraft Speed
Remember, ActiveTrack only works in P-mode, which is considerably slower than Sport mode. For example, the Mavic Pro can reach 40 mph in S mode but is limited to 22 mph in P-mode. Make sure that the subject you want to keep up with is moving within the drone’s P-mode speed.

Color
The way ActiveTrack is able to identify and follow its subject is by color contrast between the subject and background. This means that the greater the color difference, the better ActiveTrack performs. Make sure that your subject is wearing clothing that helps them stick out of the environment. For example, if your friend is snowboarding, a red outfit will do much better than a white one.

Blocking
If your subject gets out of view during filming, such as enters a tunnel or group of trees, your drone will do its best to relocate the subject when they pop back into view. However, if the subject is out of site for too long, the drone could “lose” sight of it. If this happens, re-select the subject to resume tracking.
While there are always questions with any drone feature, people ask the following questions more often than others. To help, let’s clear these up!
“If my subject totally disappears, what will happen?”
Ahh, the ol’ vanishing friend trick! In some situations, a subject actually does “disappear,” at least to your drone. The most common instance of this is if your subject is in the water and suddenly dives down, out of view. If this happens, the drone will stop, hover, and try to relocate the subject. At some point, your swimmer is going to want to come up for air, and your drone will resume tracking. But what if the subject resurfaces out of frame? At this point, you can regain control of the drone to fly around and find the subject. Worst-case, the drone will hover until low-batter RTH is triggered.
“What if I lose connection with the drone during ActiveTrack?”
If your drone is following the subject and you suddenly get disconnected, a worry is that the drone will then just keep following, following, and following on its own, until it flies into an obstacle or its battery dies. Luckily for you, ActiveTrack was designed with situations like this in mind. The moment it loses connection, the drone will initiate RTH, flying along the outgoing flight path to ensure safety.

Take Off and Get Active
We hope that this article helped you to not only understand the magic behind ActiveTrack but also made you confident in using it yourself. So show us what you got and film the kind of footage you can create with this increased freedom!

The content origins from : BUYINGGUIDES

2017-12-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great tutorial!
2017-12-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Excellent indeed, thank you Grace.
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Glad to see you here as always!
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-21 00:10
Excellent indeed, thank you Grace.

You are welcome!
2017-12-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Grace Posted at 2017-12-21 00:15
Glad to see you here as always!

You're welcome (as always)
2017-12-21
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

tHANKS FOR SHARE !! gREAT iNFO !!
2017-12-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great info - thanks! I do like spotlight - my favourite AT setting
2017-12-21
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

United States

Will Spark get spotlight mode too?
2017-12-21
Use props
Rigger73
First Officer
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Might give this a whirl next time I'm out.  Thanks Grace.
2017-12-21
Use props
DJI Grace
Administrator
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-12-21 03:02
Might give this a whirl next time I'm out.  Thanks Grace.

You are welcome!
2017-12-21
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the info, I can’t wait to give it a try on the surfers.
2017-12-21
Use props
Guidutra5
lvl.1

Taiwan

Great post Grace! I was looking for this.
2017-12-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Excellent information. It explains a lot. Thanks Grace
2017-12-21
Use props
Marcy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1229938 ft
Canada

Good info thanks   marcy
2017-12-21
Use props
LeChuck71
Second Officer
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Very nice, thanks for sharing
2017-12-21
Use props
ny300z
First Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

nice writeup
2017-12-21
Use props
cannabenoid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 97274 ft
United States

SUPER helpful. Thank you.
2017-12-21
Use props
AirPhoto1.com
Captain
Flight distance : 455558 ft
United States

Very informative, and helpful.  Thanks Grace!
2017-12-21
Use props
wglovett
lvl.4
Canada

must try spotlight..
thx!
2017-12-21
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Very nice tutorial, thaks for sharing
2017-12-21
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Awesome tutorial thanks grace
2017-12-21
Use props
4WDaus
Captain
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Thank you - I and still learning every day. This was very helpful
2017-12-21
Use props
CycleParadise
Captain
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

Great information. Timely too since I was planning to try ActiveTrack this weekend. Thank you for posting this.
2017-12-21
Use props
MsRange30
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Wow! Thank you for this share. I will apply this.
2017-12-22
Use props
Brambleman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

I didn't think about using active track to lock onto a static object like a building to get a perfect circle around it. Thanks for the tip!
2017-12-22
Use props
Forgottenworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 72057 ft
Australia

thank you very helpful
2017-12-22
Use props
WernerD
Captain
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

I miss a bit of information - would be nice to add a few sentences:
  • Inspire 2 does disable the yaw function as well? Even although it has a 360° Gimbal?
  • No word about activites going up or downhill, like Skiing. Asked very often.
  • Degree to which the vision based tracking works well or doesn't, e.g. riding though a shady area, light tree canopy in foreground,...

Thanks in advance
2017-12-23
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great tutorial!
2017-12-23
Use props
SRO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2405174 ft
Switzerland

Thank you for this informations.
2017-12-23
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Thank you much DJI Grace. I hope i can retain some of this before i try this/these someday. Remembering how to do some things takes me a couple times before i get it right lol To bad we can't go through the motions without burning up batteries.
2017-12-23
Use props
Rod Davidson
New
Flight distance : 13530 ft
Australia

Hi All, I will be using the Active Track in the new year to film some serious 4WD adventures and I was trying to work out if the max flight height was going to be an issue.  We could be climbing well over 120m from the takeoff point and did not want to re-launch the drone every 120m.  Will this be an issue? or will it continue to track the vehicle given the drone will only be say 30m off the ground? Apologies if this is covered in a forum somewhere. Thanks Rod
2017-12-24
Use props
fans589cba4b
First Officer
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

lately active track has been performing not that great. I'm getting better results manually panning and tilting. it's king of glitchy.
2017-12-24
Use props
gfab71
Captain
Flight distance : 492874 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Great post !!! Thank you for sharing !!!
2017-12-25
Use props
Adriano Araujo
First Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

Examples of Active Track (just phone – no RC – Phone on pocket)

Those are some footage I made by myself with the Active Track Feature

Riding inside a painting

Bicycle trough a rice field

Roadbike fun

2017-12-26
Use props
fans5c0dc3b7
lvl.1
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing!
2017-12-26
Use props