Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Apple admit they have slowed down iPhones
2157 24 2017-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wirezfree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17999 ft
United Kingdom

So maybe their was not an issue with DJ4GO on your iPhone
Apple may have actually turned it's performance down...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42438745
2017-12-21
Use props
Boardtalk
Captain
Flight distance : 209642 ft
Ireland

Yea, heard this and am not surprised. Always noticed the difference after an apple update.
2017-12-21
Use props
rolling56
Captain
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

This won't sit well with the fans of apple.
2017-12-21
Use props
Wirezfree
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Whilst DJI are not "perfect" some of the issues people see on iPhones maybe down to this in some cases..??
2017-12-21
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haven't upgraded and don't plan on it anytime soon. Think I'll join some and sit out for a bit.
2017-12-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not surprised. How else will they sell new phones.
2017-12-21
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

You don't need a new phone.  You just need a new battery to restore performance.  Sad that batteries don't last as long as my car battery.
2017-12-21
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

It's called planned obsolescence.  How else will Apple keep getting them lined up each year?  And if you want a removable battery, get an Android phone.
2017-12-21
Use props
Wirezfree
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Now the class actions start..!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42455285

I have noticed a few people saying DJ4Go "Not Compatible" on some iPad Mini 2
Could this also be as a result of some restrictions now being placed on App Store.

Maybe if you already have it installed, it continues to work, and upgrade.
But trying to do a "new" install, "Not Compatible"..??
2017-12-23
Use props
theothernt
Captain
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

DJI can remove support for older devices with newer versions of the app.
*but* if you check the App Store listing, the iPad Mini 2 is still supported - as long as it's running iOS 9 or later.
2017-12-23
Use props
4WDaus
Captain
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

theothernt Posted at 2017-12-23 09:32
DJI can remove support for older devices with newer versions of the app.
*but* if you check the App Store listing, the iPad Mini 2 is still supported - as long as it's running iOS 9 or later.

This may explain the CPU overload warnings I have started receiving on my iPad Air 1 recently.
2017-12-23
Use props
web_parrot
Captain
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mavicator Posted at 2017-12-21 19:58
It's called planned obsolescence.  How else will Apple keep getting them lined up each year?  And if you want a removable battery, get an Android phone.

Uh huh.... And Android is such a stable platform, bug free, spam free, and unhackable.

Gang, this is a quad forum.  The Apple bashing provides zero enlightenment.  It just takes up space.  Stick to the point.
2017-12-23
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.4
Canada

That's why you buy a Samsung
2017-12-23
Use props
djiuser_MP6tU5Q
lvl.1

United States

This doesn’t surprise me at all however I doubt by a vast margin Apple are the only guilty parties here.  Having more android devices in my life than iOS I can tell you I suspect planned obsolecnse is updated in many phones in different ways.   

I do wish Apple gave users a toggle in battery settings, like battery > advanced > Optimize extended battery health   Then have like 2 options.. Auto and Off.  Auto will use Apple algorithum and Off disables it.   Also Apple can step in if health of battery is really poor or the device is constantly clicking off from voltage sag and force enable the feature and explain it when it happens.    Because all in all this isn’t a terrible reason to throttle back.. however should be handled differently..   like if it detected your phone was clicking off at 30% regularly or voltage sag was an issue for ur phone, should popped up and alert onscren to click enable extended health optimization’s because ur battery has gone to sh..t.  

The other thing I want to mention, I think Apple has enabled it on iPads as well, I noticed a fairly large slowdown recently on my iPad and I did a battery health. Heck and I’m at 20% wear level (80% health) and seems like a number Apple would use..my benchmarks have show a minor slump in performance but nothing as large as iPhones have shown. About 10% loss Overall, but it has impacted the snappiness a lot.  
2017-12-24
Use props
Wirezfree
Second Officer
United Kingdom

web_parrot Posted at 2017-12-23 16:43
Uh huh.... And Android is such a stable platform, bug free, spam free, and unhackable.

Gang, this is a quad forum.  The Apple bashing provides zero enlightenment.  It just takes up space.  Stick to the point.

I'm not Apple bashing...
Just pointing out why "some" Apple devices may have issues.

I bought an iPad Mini4, my "only" Apple device.
1. It seemed to work out of the box, it did for me.
2. It fits perfectly in RC arms.
3. Nice screen size, good display.

I think with Android there are to many variables..
Mainly "what" else is running in the background that you have little control of.
Think the last number I saw was around 18,000 variants ~ Manufacturer/Specs/Android Versions.

You could re-flash with a vanilla open source/community version, Cyanogen/Lineage/Slim etc..
But it's not something for the average user.

2017-12-24
Use props
theothernt
Captain
Ireland

4WDaus Posted at 2017-12-23 11:31
This may explain the CPU overload warnings I have started receiving on my iPad Air 1 recently.

Where did you see the CPU error, and can you remember the exact wording?

...the iPad Air 1 is still considered to be very powerful, so it maybe another issue
2017-12-24
Use props
web_parrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

See Brian Chen's article in the NY Times Tech section (from December 21, not the older article).  It explains many aspects of the complexity of dealing with batteries that are starting to reach the end of their usable life span.  Two points I found valuable.  He concludes that Apple handled the commuication of the process they used poorly.  ( Slowing down the processor to save battery retains your ability to still use it as a phone... something you might rely on more than games, twitter, faceplant).  Second he recommends taking your phone to a third party repair shop and replacing the battery.  Depending on the model, it can be done for $20-$70 -he claims.  The phone battery is expected to handle approximately 500 full recharges before needing replacement.  If it has a strong battery, the 'slow down' algorythms won't kick in.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/ ... pgtype=sectionfront

2017-12-24
Use props
4WDaus
Captain
Australia

theothernt Posted at 2017-12-24 06:58
Where did you see the CPU error, and can you remember the exact wording?

...the iPad Air 1 is still considered to be very powerful, so it maybe another issue

I routinely get the message “mobile device cpu fully loaded. related performance will be affected” when flying. It was the main reason I recently updated to the new iPad Pro.
2017-12-24
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

web_parrot Posted at 2017-12-23 16:43

And the point of the thread was for discussing the fact that Apple is purposefully slowing down their devices.   It is also a fact that Apple batteries are not replaceable.  I can see where these facts may sound like bashing to an Apple fanboy.  And speaking of bashing, maybe you should practice what you preach.
2017-12-24
Use props
theothernt
Captain
Ireland

4WDaus Posted at 2017-12-24 11:23
I routinely get the message “mobile device cpu fully loaded. related performance will be affected” when flying. It was the main reason I recently updated to the new iPad Pro.

I was just checking out threads on the issue, it seems to have started about 6 months ago.

It does seem like more of a bug than an accurate error - when you saw that error, was it also very hot that day?
2017-12-25
Use props
4WDaus
Captain
Australia

theothernt Posted at 2017-12-25 04:47
I was just checking out threads on the issue, it seems to have started about 6 months ago.

It does seem like more of a bug than an accurate error - when you saw that error, was it also very hot that day?

I have flown right across Australia and it occurs whether it has been hot or not. I finally decided to retire the iPad and purchase a iPad Pro as I didn't want to risk my Mavic and hoped that the new iPad might also correct freeze frames in the transmitted video.
I really wanted to spend my time flying so I have not chased the issue further.
2017-12-25
Use props
web_parrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mavicator Posted at 2017-12-24 20:08
And the point of the thread was for discussing the fact that Apple is purposefully slowing down their devices.   It is also a fact that Apple batteries are not replaceable.  I can see where these facts may sound like bashing to an Apple fanboy.  And speaking of bashing, maybe you should practice what you preach.

Thanks for your comment.  Please see my reply @ #17 this thread.  Mr Chen's article gets into some of the weeds-of-complexity arount the matter.  
2017-12-26
Use props
web_parrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Wirezfree Posted at 2017-12-24 00:54
I'm not Apple bashing...
Just pointing out why "some" Apple devices may have issues.

Thanks for your comments.  If you haven't already, check out my reply ( #17 this thread ) and link to Brian Chen's NY Times article.  Nicely written and covers the matter with some objectivity.  s2
2017-12-26
Use props
web_parrot
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mavicator Posted at 2017-12-24 20:08

My reply in #17 points to the complexity of compatability issues.  You were not 'bashed' ... publicly flogged maybe, but not bashed :-)
2017-12-28
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.4
United States

fans4ee4a121 Posted at 2017-12-23 18:05
That's why you buy a Samsung

With the amount of issues that Samsung has had that I've seen here on the forums, no, Samsung is not any better. I'll stick with my HTC U11 as I've had zero issues.
2017-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules