WTH just happened?! Fell from the sky like a rock!
2972 22 2015-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyingduck88
lvl.3
Flight distance : 715551 ft
United States

First let me ask this. How do I recover the video file since it’s corrupted because when the camera crashed to the ground it was still recording??

Okay, a bad day for me finally was in the cards. I have had countless successful flights with my P2v, P2v+ and probably….no, exactly 32 with my P2V+V3 but flight number 33 was a disaster!!! I went out and did my usual start up procedures that we’re all familiar with. Let it hover for a few minutes to make sure everything was good. Then sent it off on a nice medium length GS mission. All was great as it came back to the last way point right over my home point. Took control to do a bit more flying and got about 30’ away and BAM!!! All of the sudden the motors started to sputter and all was lost!!! Fell about 240’ to the ground. The camera is trashed and my cable that connects the Flytrex 3G is a goner. I’m just so pissed and now I can sympathize with anyone who has had this happen.

I need to figure out how to recover the corrupt video file and how to check the Flytrex data to see if I can pinpoint what the hell went wrong. Any advice would be appreciated! Guess I get to sit in the LOOONG line of the DJI warranty cue now…..SON OF……!!
2015-4-17
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Sorry to hear of your crash.  I DO  know how it feels.  There is software you can use to recover corrupt files.  Search google and I am sure you will find one for free.  If not, I am sure someone will post a viable solution here in no time.
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

Not good. Sorry to hear it.
2015-4-17
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

here is the link Repairing Corrupt DJI Phantom 2 Vision

Please post the video when you get it and keep us up to date.
2015-4-17
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-4-18 06:21
here is the link Repairing Corrupt DJI Phantom 2 Vision

Please post the video when you get it and k ...

Tried this one. No love. I have a 64bit windows os. Thanks though.
2015-4-17
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

flyingduck88@gm Posted at 2015-4-18 07:13
Tried this one. No love. I have a 64bit windows os. Thanks though.

Sorry it did not work
I have used it successfully with Windows 8.1 64bit
2015-4-17
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-4-18 08:33
Sorry it did not work

Hmmm....That's what I'm using too. All it does when I try to open it is the command prompt will flash on but disappears right away..
2015-4-17
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

stock12to32 Posted at 2015-4-18 08:33
Sorry it did not work

I'm not sure I'm doing this right. I was able to get to the "cmd" but I don't quite understand what this step is.

and use the "cd" command to change to the folder that contains "djifix.exe" and the file that you want to repair.
2015-4-17
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

flyingduck88@gm Posted at 2015-4-18 09:02
I'm not sure I'm doing this right. I was able to get to the "cmd" but I don't quite understand wha ...

Will the this work ?
Alternative Instructions (without using the command shell):
1.Download the file "djifix.exe". Then open the folder that contains the application "djifix.exe" (that you just downloaded).
2.Select the file that you wish to repair, and drop it onto the "djifix.exe" application.
2015-4-17
Use props
stock12to32
lvl.3

United States

Also the  cd command changes your location on your hard drive. it stands for Change Directory. If you have Windows on your C: drive and a separate partition or hard drive that the video is on then you would want to change to the file location of the video.
This should help you understand even more
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Flying,

Sorry, Man! I won't waste your time with BS. Did you try Datakam? If you haven't yet try it. It worked for me.

http://datakam.com/download/

Install Datakam 6 for Windows. If you can't figure it out drop another note here and I'll try to help.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

I was able to get it figured out and repaired. Unfortunately the last few seconds are missing. It plays back in 2x speed for some reason too but I’m uploading it to YouTube now.

Thanks for the help everyone.
I called DJI support to see about an RMA and couldn’t believe it. They answered the phone right away!!! Going to send it in and see what they say. It’s only 2 ½ months old with 33 flights so it had best be covered under warranty. Shipping it back tomorrow.
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Flying,

Hey, just a thought if you haven't done so already. I'd probably keep that SD intact. Might need it later on. I always copy corrupted disks to my computer HD before I do a repair and then repair them on my HD instead of the SD. Just so I can keep the SD in case I find another way to repair or if DJI wants a copy. Just something to think about if you haven't already done so.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

Not that it really gives any clues but here's the flight. everything way going perfect. If I had to guess I'd say about 8 seconds is what's missing.

2015-4-17
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

I have to say this is just bugging the crap out of me. I charged up 4 batteries for today. The crash happened on the first flight. Since I’m going to be sending it into DJI tomorrow I’m running the other 3 batteries down so they don’t sit for God knows how long AND so far it has not acted up once. Granted it’s just idling and every now and then I’ll pick it up and give it some throttle but I have full sat lock in my house and it has not once done anything unexpected.
Just soooo weird and random for it to have done what it did…..idk.I just really hope that DJI can figure it out.
2015-4-17
Use props
jtrjr
lvl.4
United States

Flying,

I know the feeling. Had a very similar thing happen to me a few weeks ago. To this day I've got no idea what happened. Fortunately for me, the damage wasn't as bad as it first looked. I had an aluminum gimbal protector, a carbon fiber camera guard and prop guards on mine when it went down. I'm glad I did. Prop guards and props were toast, the shell got some damage but unbelievably the camera survived. Took it all apart and rebuilt it and was back up a few days later. I'm just now starting to get comfortable in-flight again. I have changed my mindset a bit and realize it could happen again anytime. I've gone through everything over and over again and can't for the life of me figure out what happened. If I could even guess, I'd be happier but i can't. Anyway, I feel your pain. Hope DJI gets it together and gets it back to you soon.

Jerry
2015-4-17
Use props
Raybro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11099 ft
United States

It seems common to these occurrences...loss of video prior to losing control. The entire electronics lock up and down she goes. Don't know if we will ever know why this happens. If it's something firmware cannot fix and DJI recognizes it as a known issue, they won't share that information with us.
2015-4-18
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

It appears you get some pretty nice range with the Phantom.  How far does it go without losing signal?
2015-4-18
Use props
bahamasboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13845 ft
United States

Had something similar today but was able to save my bird.  I had flipped into failsafe via S1 switch.  It was descending to land and it was going to land on a curb instead of pavement as intended.  When I flipped back to gps mode at about 15' up, it suddenly dropped about 8 feet.  I quickly gave it throttle and managed NOT to hit the ground.  I have this on video.   Is there something going on with Failsafe/RTH and taking control again?
2015-4-18
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

oakspi Posted at 2015-4-19 04:32
It appears you get some pretty nice range with the Phantom.  How far does it go without losing signa ...

In my area it can be pretty sketchy depending on the direction of travel. To the north/northeast I average about 1200’ before I lose fpv and 1300/1400’ for control signal. To the north/northwest between 1000/1200’ on a good day. Anything south is just terrible at around  600/800’ if I’m lucky.
Right now of course the bird isn’t going anywhere needless to say…..
2015-4-18
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Got it, thanks
2015-4-18
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wondering out loud - if GS possibly has something to do with this?

I'm superstitious so I don't use it at all.

Does anyone have the exact text of the disclaimers which you agree to before it lets you use that GS?
2015-4-18
Use props
flyingduck88
lvl.3
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-4-19 10:57
Wondering out loud - if GS possibly has something to do with this?

I'm superstitious so I don't use ...

When the failure happened I had control of the quad. The GS mission went perfectly. I’ve been using the GS since it first was released and have never had so much as a glitch.
2015-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules