1832 18 2017-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Greetings friends,

You know, a year ago, I was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of DJI you could find anywhere.  Truly amazing new technology which combined all of my other hobbies; flying real airplanes, Radio technolog and photography.  Then, about a year ago I made the mistake of getting involved in the Phantom 4 Beta program and for the next seven months, I and many other beta testers were abandonded by DJI and left using undocumented and unonofficial firmware.  Not much of a thank you for trying to help them improve their product.  Then finally a new official firmware version came out around August and we were able to get back on official firmware.  But, That was the version that bucked and flew erratically and where the camera would stop or go limp frequently.  Then, in the fall DJI released some new betas that were supposed to address that issue and it did help some, but not completely and again we find ourselves on beta, not release firmware which is where we are now with our P4's  Then the DJI Assistant 2 software quit working at least for flashing firmware under windows 10 64 bit version.  Shortly after that, the DJI GO app started experiencing connection problems and others under IOS.  So, to summarize, we have buggy unofficial firmware for our P4's, DJI Assistant 2 doesn't work right anymore, DJI GO app not working right consistently on IOS and now to top all that off, I just received a registered letter (nothing good ever comes registered mail) from DJI informing me that there has been a data breach at one of DJI's servers and my financial information may have been compromised!  I honestly don't think they could be more effictive if their objective were to destroy thier client base!  In one years time, I went from being an extatic and enthusiastic supporter and even promoter of DJI products to being unable to continue recommending them or even trusting them on any level.  And it was so unnecessary, but I honestly don't know how you undo all the damage they have done to themselves.

Sad,

--JimWatkins
(Burbank, CA)
2017-12-22
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Thanks for voicing your thoughtful opinions and feelings.

Who knows how DJI will continue to grow and develop, over time?

RedHotPoker
2017-12-22
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow! After all that, I'd be a little miffed at DJI too. I count my lucky stars because I have a Spark, Mavic and P4P and never had an issue with any that wasn't self inflicted.
2017-12-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yeah, Jim, I have to agree. I've experienced all issues you listed too (except for the data breach - wow!). And my P4P is currently on beta firmware too, as well as my P4.

When you read a summary of events over the last 12 months like this, you really have to wonder how much DJI have their software side together.  I sincerely hope they pick up their game for 2018.
2017-12-22
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-12-22 16:21
Wow! After all that, I'd be a little miffed at DJI too. I count my lucky stars because I have a Spark, Mavic and P4P and never had an issue with any that wasn't self inflicted.

Give 'em time.
2017-12-22
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-12-22 16:41
Yeah, Jim, I have to agree. I've experienced all issues you listed too (except for the data breach - wow!). And my P4P is currently on beta firmware too, as well as my P4.

When you read a summary of events over the last 12 months like this, you really have to wonder how much DJI have their software side together.  I sincerely hope they pick up their game for 2018.

I just received the certified mail today.  Many more will follow.
2017-12-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-12-22 17:15
I just received the certified mail today.  Many more will follow.

Aloha Jim,

Sorry to hear about this last year for you.  But really, how much of the problem lies in the iOS arena?  Android has had almost no problems over the same amount of time.  You are right that DJI does sell product that is supposed to be compatible with iOS products.  

My only complaint on your complaint is that Apple and their iOS products are not given enough responsibility for the problems involved in this last years use of the P4.  It just does not seem fair to me.  Android is open-source, iOS is closed source.  iOS is over-priced with low levels of service unless you pay through the nose.  Just does not seem right in my world.

Get an Android so you can fly your P4 the way it was meant to be flown!  Why stick with the loser iOS when you know you can get an inexpensive Android device that will let you fly properly.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-22
Use props
Augustus Brian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

Jim Watkins:

The data breach may reach out and snag other DJI folks(myself included, unfortunately--I'll be on alert for the mail).

However, thus far I've managed to slither and slide and beyond the reach of the other of DJI's many snafus with the P4s.

I was religiously fanatical about making sure my P4 was updated, bird, box and batteries. But when that last official release brought so many complaints from so many (forum) users, despite my desire for Tripod Mode, I stopped updating. And I bought Litchi and an nVideo Shield K1. Once loaded. I've kept all devices static. No new firmware(NNF).

As a senior(age, and a bit of seniority) programmer, I've always appreciated a stable set of code. Many integral and strategic systems run decades old, but stable code. Multiple, frequent updates of any software on any device, scare the (expletive deleted) out of me. Every gravity defying device of any weight requires precise, stable control systems(i.e. software). DJI failed with the P4 and Go4 revisions.

Further, although I like the new-car-smell feeling of new software, I just don't care to take the time to troubleshoot issues, anymore. It used to be a challenge, but now, I just want to fly.

That said, I would STILL recommend DJI to any and all buyers, and would, if questioned, extol their overall stability and dependability. For consumers and small busynesses, there seems onlY one other (AVyS-lyke) companY that competes. (The Y got rowdy in that last sentence---sorry).

I intend to buy a P4 Pro and/or a Mavic Pro. And if I were shooting for business, I would look at the I2, or better.

Think of it more like a car: Most folks stick with a particular Make, but are likely to disparage a specific Model. I stay away from Altimas (and P4s).

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-12-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-12-22 19:16
Aloha Jim,

Sorry to hear about this last year for you.  But really, how much of the problem lies in the iOS arena?  Android has had almost no problems over the same amount of time.  You are right that DJI does sell product that is supposed to be compatible with iOS products.  

Sadly Cetacean, Apple and iOS have Nothing to do with the issues referenced, other than operation of the GO 4 app. And even the app I read has been improved with the latest release (although it's still bloated and requires a grunty CPU). The key issues are firmware and Assistant 2. Although the data breach is a doosey...
2017-12-22
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Wait till you get the letter
2017-12-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Jim, I am so sorry for hearing all of your stories, that must've been a very frustrated. For the drone's performance, we really appreciate every feedback from our user to let us know if there are any issues with our drone.
For the connecting issue for iOS devices, it is confirmed it is related to the iOS firmware, but it should be resolved by updating the operating system.
For the DJI Assistant 2 issue, please let me know if there is any problem with it at the moment.
How does your Phantom 4 perform now? Please kindly let me know if there is anything I can do for you regarding the drone.
In the end, we appreciate any feedback to us, any report will be valued and it will help us to discover and develop. Thank you for all your support to DJI.
2017-12-22
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-12-22 20:29
Sadly Cetacean, Apple and iOS have Nothing to do with the issues referenced, other than operation of the GO 4 app. And even the app I read has been improved with the latest release (although it's still bloated and requires a grunty CPU). The key issues are firmware and Assistant 2. Although the data breach is a doosey...

Aloha Punchbuggy,

As you may have noted, I have not dealt with this problem for months because I weighed in heavy when it started and figured I was not helping as I intended.  So, along that line I defer to others on this subject.  In this case, I just repeated what was represented to me by a trusted member of the Forum and then added that responsibility needs to be shared.  Android devices do not suffer the problems noted.  I fly a P4 with my Android devices without problems.

I think it more wise for me to just refrain from further comment in this thread lest I stir up a rebellion again!  It is sad enough that there is a problem in the first place.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-22
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-12-22 23:30
Aloha Punchbuggy,

As you may have noted, I have not dealt with this problem for months because I weighed in heavy when it started and figured I was not helping as I intended.  So, along that line I defer to others on this subject.  In this case, I just repeated what was represented to me by a trusted member of the Forum and then added that responsibility needs to be shared.  Android devices do not suffer the problems noted.  I fly a P4 with my Android devices without problems.

I recently tried my Galaxy S8+ after not having used it for months and it does not seem to suffer from the problems of the iPad.  But my whole purpose in buying my iPad Air was to use its big screen exclusively for flying.  More wasted money.  Thanx DJI!
2017-12-23
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

yes, but at least once a year you fly an octoreindeer, not a quadcopter, and one of the "engines" is marked with the red nosetip - a symbol of excellence...
2017-12-23
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Don't know what is meant by hiding this thread, but if so I think we all know why and by whom...
Never speak ill of the king!
Sorry for your troubles...I really think DJI needs to take strategic pause and clean up all their loose ends ASAP before adding anything more, at least in the way of SW.  For sure they can stop all together adding on more restrictions and layers of regulatory actions and quizzes to name some...personally I think they are failing at that too.  Yes failing is a harsh word for you died in the wool DJI supporters and sycophants but it gets my point across...
Jim, thanks for putting the word out, and I wish you the best, Merry Christmas and God Bless
2017-12-23
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-12-23 10:50
Don't know what is meant by hiding this thread, but if so I think we all know why and by whom...
Never speak ill of the king!
Sorry for your troubles...I really think DJI needs to take strategic pause and clean up all their loose ends ASAP before adding anything more, at least in the way of SW.  For sure they can stop all together adding on more restrictions and layers of regulatory actions and quizzes to name some...personally I think they are failing at that too.  Yes failing is a harsh word for you died in the wool DJI supporters and sycophants but it gets my point across...

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you too.  For the most part, I am able to use my P4 now using the latest beta but I have moved on to Litchi now and having far superior results to what I was on DJI GO app.  Still need to be able to use DJI Assistant 2.  Oh and uh keeping my fingers crossed that no one steals my identity and goes on a spending spree!
2017-12-23
Use props
Jim Watkins
lvl.4
United States

What could happen next...my Phantom batteries spontaneously combust burning my House to the ground killing my beloved dog?
2017-12-23
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jim Watkins Posted at 2017-12-23 08:34
I recently tried my Galaxy S8+ after not having used it for months and it does not seem to suffer from the problems of the iPad.  But my whole purpose in buying my iPad Air was to use its big screen exclusively for flying.  More wasted money.  Thanx DJI!

Aloha Jim,

Somehow, from what I was told here on the Forum, this problem with iOS is only for the P4.  You could buy a ASUS Zenpad for $200-$300 and get your P4 up in the air, or sell your P4 to an Android user and get yourself a P4 Pro.  Having a P4 Pro will cheer you up!

If you do buy an Android device, be sure to run it by the Forum users familiar with the device so you can get some feed-back on its performance.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-12-23
Use props
Pareja IV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

Hello Jim, Merry Christmas from Spain. They have hidden the post, it means that you are right, you hit in their waterline.
2017-12-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules