[URGENT] DJI Phantom 2 Vision Landing Gear Design
2670 9 2015-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
panling.liu
lvl.2

Singapore

As we all know, the distance between the camera and the ground is about 2cm +.

here comes the problem
when  the DJI is landing and the ground is not flat / perfectly flat, the camera will get hit and it might tilt to the other side or damage the camera.

So I'm thinking of using SketchUp to design a longer landing gear

and 3D print it by using Mankati.

What do you guys think ?

Need some feedback. I'm doing this for my internship company.

Thanks !

2015-4-17
Use props
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

Can someone explain to me why no one has made landing gear that mounts under the the motors similar to the IRIS+?  It would seem you have a clip on mounting system similar to the Bestem Prop guards.

Seems pretty simple to me , you would just have to cant  them back to avoid seeing them in the videos
2015-4-18
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

There is a member here who has a 3D printer who made clip-ons for the motors with carbon fiber poles (for lack of a better term) that prevent tip overs.  he sent me a picture but I don't know if he wants it posted.  I will contact him and find out.
2015-4-18
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

I was all for this but now much prefer to  hand catch my drone (after making fun of others doing the same thing!) While the Phantom design is top heavy and make tipovers very likely, it also makes it very convenient and fairly safe to hand catch. You also look much cooler hand catching to those watching.
2015-4-18
Use props
trsmith18
lvl.2

United States

grangerfx@gmail Posted at 2015-4-19 12:34
I was all for this but now much prefer to  hand catch my drone (after making fun of others doing the ...

I'd rather have the thing tip than potentially slice my finger or hand like we all seen on YouTube. Props are cheap.
2015-4-19
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are a lot of alternative landing legs available and also some leg extensions. The newer P3 has a slightly wider and longer landing gear. The existing design is a compromise meant to keep the gear out of the way of the camera and also allow the bird to fit into smaller packs and boxes.

I have the taller and wider gear on my P1 - I think it cost me $9.00 for the set of two legs from banggood.
Prop guards help make up for the landing gear because they protect against tipping over too far and props hitting the ground.
Here are some options
http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=Phantom+legs
2015-4-19
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

trsmith18@hotma Posted at 2015-4-19 19:59
I'd rather have the thing tip than potentially slice my finger or hand like we all seen on YouTube. ...

I was of the same exact opinion until the first time I was forced to hand catch due to gusty winds preventing a safe landing. That's when I realized that the drone is far more stable in the air than close to the ground in gusty wind. The ground effect causes the drone to drift all over the place and gusts make it worse. At about shoulder height it barely moves. I just bring it down to just above my head and about 3-5 meters away. Once it stops moving and I have it in the right spot, I quickly move up and grab it firmly by one leg in my right hand. I then use my left hand to click the left stick all the way down. I just hold it there for a few seconds until the motors stop. Since I have been doing this, I have had much more enjoyment flying my drone since I have no fear of landings any more. The same design that make Phantoms prone to tip overs on landing also make them extremely easy and safe to hand catch if you take simple precautions like you moving to the drone to make the catch rather than the other way around.
2015-4-19
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

The Phantom Vision Plus gear is about 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch taller than the Phantom 2 v2.0 gear.  You might check and see if the Vision Plus gear is taller than the Vision gear.  That would make a little difference in ground clearance.
2015-4-19
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The P2 and P2V use the same landing gear. So, an option would be to install the P2V+ landing gear on a P2V.

There are some other landing gear options here:
http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#Landing
2015-4-19
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-4-20 03:25
The P2 and P2V use the same landing gear. So, an option would be to install the P2V+ landing gear on ...

Mike, Thanks for the post to answer my question.
2015-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules