Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Update required
1597 19 2017-12-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

Hey Folks,

FLying a P3 4k in Montreal where the rules are very strict.
Not allowed to fly anywheres pretty much other than over a postage stamp.
Up to $3K if caught breaking the rules.
Rules 9kms away from any airport. Not allowed within 75 meters of peeps, animals, cars, buildings yadda yadda.
Mine is asking for an update and I'm worried about allowing it for what it might do.
I have 3 batteries and canonly fly one these days and I'm wondering if the update required is blocking me from flying somehow.
First flight all is good, try for a second after a change of battery and it's just all kinds of weird connectivity issues.
Thoughts?
2017-12-24
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Is the update to the Bird or to the Batterys ?
Is it particular batterys or just any battery for second flight ? I write a number on my batterys so I can identify which is which etc.

Basically updates should be OK ... just make sure you follow the instructions fully.

Nigel
2017-12-24
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-24 07:32
Is it particular batterys or just any battery for second flight ? I write a number on my batterys so I can identify which is which etc.

Nigel
Can you explain how to tell the difference between a battery update versus updates for other things?  I've never seen an update just for a battery...
Thanks
2017-12-24
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Nor have I - but various posts mention having such warning for Battery update ...

I have latest FW bin file on my sd card - so I never expect to see such warning - but I believe that those who do not keep bin file on the card can experience a battery update notification

Nigel
2017-12-24
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-24 08:52
Nor have I - but various posts mention having such warning for Battery update ...

I have latest FW bin file on my sd card - so I never expect to see such warning - but I believe that those who do not keep bin file on the card can experience a battery update notification

Which battery is a great question.
I will try today and see what happens.
Second flight is always when my bro in law is around with his P4, today he won't be.
Don't know if the update is for the bird or the battery, I too have never seen a battery update.
I'll post back after I go out this afternoon.
2017-12-24
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-12-24 08:35
Nigel
Can you explain how to tell the difference between a battery update versus updates for other things?  I've never seen an update just for a battery...
Thanks

On the P4 there is usually a warning 'Incompatible Firmware' (or similar, working from memory) if the aircraft is up to date but a battery is needing done.
You would see this when inserting your spare batteries after an aircraft firmware update (assuming of course there IS actually a battery firmware update as part of the package, not always the case).
2017-12-24
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-24 09:54
On the P4 there is usually a warning 'Incompatible Firmware' (or similar, working from memory) if the aircraft is up to date but a battery is needing done.
You would see this when inserting your spare batteries after an aircraft firmware update (assuming of course there IS actually a battery firmware update as part of the package, not always the case).

P4 fair enough ... but this is a P3 4K .....

I have no idea what differences are between P4 and P3 ....but am led to believe there are a few ....

Nigel
2017-12-24
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

My advice is always this:  "If the bird is flying fine don't update!"   The way things are now with broadcasting your personal information, ever-changing restrictions, quizzes before being permitted to fly, etc., combined with risk of bricking your bird & the inability to roll back (without going around DJI)  why take the chance on messing up a bird that flies perfectly fine?  Unless there is some catatrophic bug fix or totally must-have feature why risk an update?
2017-12-24
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-12-24 07:32
Is it particular batterys or just any battery for second flight ? I write a number on my batterys so I can identify which is which etc.

I don't recall there ever being a standalone battery update.  Generally a battery update comes as part of a firmware update.  After installing the new firmware, each time you power up with a battery containing older firmware you will get an update notice & your batteries are updated as you use them.
2017-12-24
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-24 10:16
I don't recall there ever being a standalone battery update.  Generally a battery update comes as part of a firmware update.  After installing the new firmware, each time you power up with a battery containing older firmware you will get an update notice & your batteries are updated as you use them.

Just to add ... I never said standalone battery update ...

AS you and I said earlier ... the FW updates the older battery FW .... on mine - because I leave the bin file on the card ...

That's the thing ... if the battery has older FW ... then it should trigger an update request ...

Nigel
2017-12-24
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-12-24 09:54

Thanks I will pay closer attention in the future
2017-12-24
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-12-24 10:12
My advice is always this:  "If the bird is flying fine don't update?"   The way things are now with broadcasting your personal information, ever-changing restrictions, quizzes before being permitted to fly, etc., combined with risk of bricking your bird & the inability to roll back (without going around DJI)  why take the chance on messing up a bird that flies perfectly fine?  Unless there is some catatrophic bug fix or totally must-have feature why risk an update?

I so agree with the don't take an update unless absolutely necessary.

I'm frustrated like crazy right now.
Beautiful day outside, sunny -7C and I could not fly.
The remote will not stay powered for some reason.
Press and release then hold for two seconds, it does not do the scrolling up led transition.
They all light up and then go out with a minute delay.
Can't help but wonder if it has something to do with the update they're trying to force on me.
The update will limit altitude to 30 meters and and 50 meter radius.
Who the hell owns this thing, seems like it isn't me. My bike can do 220 to 240 km an hour, the manufacturer hasn't shoved an update down my throat cause those speeds are illegal.
Ok I feel mildly better, time to figure out what's going on.
2017-12-24
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

This morning the control will do the scrolling leds and stay lit for a few seconds then go off.
Yesterday it would not scroll the leds
Weird
2017-12-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, a message will pop up if the aircraft firmware and battery are not matched. As for the scrolling LEDs, is there any error message in APP? Could you upload a short video for better assistance?
2017-12-26
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Hehehe
OK got it powered up and absolutely no idea how I did it.
Now I can't turn it off.
What madness is this? hehehe
I love a riddle, this is pure comedy.
My wife and daughter think I'm nutz
2017-12-26
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

MaYhEm sMiLeY Posted at 2017-12-26 06:52
Hehehe
OK got it powered up and absolutely no idea how I did it.
Now I can't turn it off.

Well I've erratically managed to power up and down.
It has occurred to me that the power button may be dirty.
I'm a lazy man that just wants to fly, don't feel like taking it apart, but to clean I will
2017-12-26
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Hmmm what a bummer.
LED charging sequence is behaving strangely.
I know the 4th led works.
Still have trouble getting it to power up and stay on, once on I have trouble shutting it down.
Blew out the buttons with computer compressed air, no difference.
Here's a link to a video
2017-12-26
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

indeed ... weird secuence
2017-12-26
Use props
Genghis9
Captain
United States

Maybe it is finally reached its service life i.e. worn out
Not that it should but maybe
2017-12-26
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Hehehehe Get it powered up and then have difficulties to power down until I create a video then I get it on the third try
2017-12-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules