The Truth Behind OTG and Spark
13870 21 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Filip3rd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39390 ft
Iran

So what is clear is that DJI doesn’t want Spark to be a WiFi and OTG operated device. What is the benefit of OTG? It enables to fly farther. Is that a good thing? Not with Spark. Is just wasn’t build to fly beyond VLOS. Spark is a toy with some capability of the bigger toys. Everyone agreed no OTG with Spark.

Then came the day Spark was released but it had a secret. Someone at the engineer desk didn’t liked the idea and didn’t disabled OTG.

Oppssss

What do we do? Just keep saying over and over that We are not suppprting OTG please use WiFi ....

But Sir the users love OTG

I don’t care make it not work.

So with every update they sabotage OTG and forcing us to use WiFi (the latest update 1.4.20 I am forced to use WiFi or downgrade)

What do we say to the people who wants OTG?

Just don’t say we are not doing anything about it keep them hoping so just tell them we are working at it. Or wait say nothing.

And so the story continues!!!! People want to push Spark to its limit and keep hearing OTG can do it, and DJI keep ignoring it.

Guys give up... use Spark as it was designed to be used with WiFi and VLOS

You want to ignore this? It’s okay just don’t complain when something doesn’t work.
2017-12-25
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

How about a different perspective on this subject ? Hey, we are advertising spark as a drone capable flying 500m in Europe .... hey, it can do only about 50m on 5,8 GHz (between RC and drone) before serious disconnects .... hey ... European phones do not support 5,8GHz so users can't use 2,4GHz between RC and spark because the phones will not connect to the RC afterwards .... yeah, the OTG was a working workaround to that ... and thankfully stil is if you downgrade DJI Go App ...

The truth is the only thing people want is a stable connection with the Spark and since in the Europe the WiFi alone won't do it, they want OTG. Not to be able to fly out of VLOS, but to get what they were promised in the first place ....
2017-12-25
Use props
ArnoSpark
Second Officer
Kenya

What about being a little bit patient until the release of the New App software  then we diced?
The topic has been overly discussed so no point of keep on posting same thing over and over i believe, let us be patient then we decide after the new App release   
2017-12-25
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

I am patiently waiting. I have downgraded the DJI GO 4 to 4.1.14 and Sparks FW to 01.00.0600 and I am happy with my OTG working just fine. It's just that sometimes it's a good thing to remind others why OTG support is such a good thing and that we don't need spark to be able to fly all the way to the moon. All we want is to have a reliable and safe way to pilot our drones .
2017-12-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

-Guys give up... use Spark as it was designed to be used with WiFi and VLOS -

Meanwhile I even doubt that it was designed for wifi AND RC
I think that the original idea was to design a 'be the force with you' selfie drone, that should have additional the option to get connected to a smartphone.
With the intent, that DJI has still 'ET'-contact to it ;-)

But then the sales department saw the success of the mavic combos, and b/c there wasn't a big problem to create a RC without a display and some other little changes, here we are.
Also the use of one app for all drones (but not for the Oasmos? c'mon, DJI!) made it to what it is right now.

That is my little xmas story to it!

If OTG is not comming back,  lot of users will get pushed to 'alternative' App's and firmare, to use there Spark, DJI.
You will loose 'ET' this way!
2017-12-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Vyborny83 Posted at 2017-12-25 04:39
I am patiently waiting. I have downgraded the DJI GO 4 to 4.1.14 and Sparks FW to 01.00.0600 and I am happy with my OTG working just fine. It's just that sometimes it's a good thing to remind others why OTG support is such a good thing and that we don't need spark to be able to fly all the way to the moon. All we want is to have a reliable and safe way to pilot our drones .

You can go to .701, to have the Sphere option.
That is working with .14/.15 AND in OTG mode (on android!)
2017-12-25
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-25 05:09
You can go to .701, to have the Sphere option.
That is working with .14/.15 AND in OTG mode (on android!)

True, I could ... but there is a small problem with the DJI GO 4 4.1.15. It has the option to either automatically choose the best wifi band and thanks to the fact that european phones can't use the 5,8GHz it is always 2,4 Ghz between the phone and RC and 5,8 GHz between RC and the Spark which gives me about 50m range before I start to loose the connection, or you can manualy choose the band yourself but if you choose the 2,4 Ghz between the spark and the RC, the only way to connect your phone is the OTG cable (since the phone cannot use 5,8GHz WiFi). And the only way how you can revert it back is to reset the sparks wifi because you cannot change the band over the OTG cable ;).

The DJI GO 4 4.1.14 allows me to choose the band everytime I power on the spark .
2017-12-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Vyborny83 Posted at 2017-12-25 06:01
True, I could ... but there is a small problem with the DJI GO 4 4.1.15. It has the option to either automatically choose the best wifi band and thanks to the fact that european phones can't use the 5,8GHz it is always 2,4 Ghz between the phone and RC and 5,8 GHz between RC and the Spark which gives me about 50m range before I start to loose the connection, or you can manualy choose the band yourself but if you choose the 2,4 Ghz between the spark and the RC, the only way to connect your phone is the OTG cable (since the phone cannot use 5,8GHz WiFi). And the only way how you can revert it back is to reset the sparks wifi because you cannot change the band over the OTG cable ;).

The DJI GO 4 4.1.14 allows me to choose the band everytime I power on the spark .

So .701 and 4.1.14 it is for Spheres then
I fly .14 on my phone and .15 on my tab. But with .701 and only otg, till now
2017-12-25
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-25 06:05
So .701 and 4.1.14 it is for Spheres then
I fly .14 on my phone and .15 on my tab. But with .701 and only otg, till now

I might try that when I'm in a mood for upgrading the FW. Thanks .
2017-12-25
Use props
JKL3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 812372 ft
Slovakia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-25 05:07
-Guys give up... use Spark as it was designed to be used with WiFi and VLOS -

Meanwhile I even doubt that it was designed for wifi AND RC

Really?
Then in the US people must have a 4x better sight...
2017-12-25
Use props
Sidd Finch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 256 ft
United States

Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse, or beating a dead dog in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means to continue a particular endeavor is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided.
2017-12-25
Use props
LincsHeli
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34239 ft
United Kingdom

https://store.dji.com/product/cr ... rc-mounting-bracket

A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.
    A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon.

From the DJI website.
2017-12-25
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539518 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JKL3 Posted at 2017-12-25 08:21
Really?
Then in the US people must have a 4x better sight...

LOL! Good point!
2017-12-26
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

LincsHeli Posted at 2017-12-25 14:01
https://store.dji.com/product/crystalsky-mavic-spark-rc-mounting-bracket

A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.

Good find, question is, define soon - next week, next month, six months...........
2017-12-26
Use props
BerkoZg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2628 ft
Croatia

Vyborny83 Posted at 2017-12-25 04:39

Im using the same setup with OTG and works fine. Waiting for some comments that says that OTG works with new update. I think in my case is more dangerous to fly witg wifi becouse transmision delay about 3-4 sec. And a lot image transfer disconnects.
2017-12-26
Use props
LincsHeli
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34239 ft
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-12-26 08:49
Good find, question is, define soon - next week, next month, six months...........

Soon = day ending in Y or 1 of the months out of 12.
I think it is more about DJI producing a cable that is approved by the manufacturers ie Apple etc.
2017-12-26
Use props
Filip3rd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39390 ft
Iran

New update and OTG = bad Idea
2017-12-26
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-12-26 08:49

That has been on the Dji site for at least the last 3 months, 6 months is probably more likely.
2017-12-26
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-12-26
Use props
Cameron Dasso
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6115 ft
United States

Man I am new to this site and holy cow lots about OTG. In my humble and newbie opinion, since I don;t see instructions in my new Spark's documentation for connecting with USB and also because apparently connecting with a cable to the goggles is supported and works (so the drone firmware is fully compatible), the only conclusion I can draw is that the intention is not NOT support OTG on Spark for iOS and Android. I have a Mavic pro for long range stuff so I probably don;t have the same perspective as some but WIFI seems to work fine to me and I am happy to stay within its limits. It is fun as hell to fly this thing close in and use the tracking stuff etc without having to work about controllers and cables. Wish gesture mode worked better and yes when I connect the cable the gimble is more responsive and don't have any issues with signal but like I said I just fly the Mavic at longer range. I guess I will see when my DJI goggles get here if I am correct.
2017-12-26
Use props
Rjrolyn
lvl.2
United States

Is this an IOS FANBOY thing- lol Cause  since Xmas Day ive seen many crashes on Sparks posted from forum to foums due to disconnect and poor signal which will continue, Ipad Mini 4 seems to be the choice  w/ using wifi, There are people that arent IOS Fanboys and prefer Androids over IOS, Im sure many of you like to see how far the spark can stretch its legs using wifi and for the people that prefers IOS have any of you maxed out the distance or height ? Well if all succeded using wifi from exceeded flight and height distance, good for you, People have to understand others from across the globe that have android im sure they like to fly higher and farther but prefers OTG, Today i had the guts to fly out my Mavic with perfect conditions and not a signle hiss of wind in the mid am hours, Flew the mavic to my brother's which is 2 miles shy using Nvidia Shield K1- 6.0.1 Marsh fw w/OTG - Airplane mode , Dji Go 4.1.15 fw and not a single weak signal or high wind velocity, Will i do it on Wifi, never We all know how wifi is and how it can impact stability on a certain range or between thick objects, its just like using home or public wifi and you all know how that goes, So just for the record all routes flying the mavic to my bro's house where all safe areas and 15 miles away from any restricted areas on a NFZ, So all in all OTG is a benefit and shouldn't be left out just my $0.02
2017-12-26
Use props
MACDBHAM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4167 ft
United States

Just got my spark less than a week ago and I was using OTG just fine. THEN after the app & firmware upgraded it refused to recognize cable. Based on tests w/multiple devices and one common controller it seems that its a firmware issue with the RC controller itself actually as ONE phone I used was running the older app and STILL had no OTG with the RC. itself.
2018-4-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules