Dynamic Home Point gone on RC?
12Next >
6742 75 2015-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

I used to be able to at least set it.. now it seems it does NOT matter WHERE I fly and even though I have a great signal on RC. as it shows on app while flying. it still tells me it cannot aquire signal and it does not set it to RC. Anyone out there using/setting the dynamic home point on remote control? what tablet are you using?

Also, my flight Data just doesnt even show my RC anymore.... am I missing something?

This video is as reference only to show what the issue is as I have tried to fly all around different areas. Started with a flight on Airplane mode, I have tried Wifi, NO wifi, cellular, no Cellular.. all in separate flights.

2015-4-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I haven't updated my Inspire yet as I had difficulties on the first update. however, yesterday I was flying and experienced what you described. So I flew the aircraft in a small pattern until I did acquire enough signal and it worked. I wonder if the aircraft shows enough satellites for GPS lock but may need one or so more for dynamic home point to function? Some one else posted a thread a long while back about the bars not being an accurate measure of the amount or type of sats you are connected too, does this sound plausible?   
2015-4-18
Use props
RickRoberts01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191575 ft
United States

I have the same issue
2015-4-18
Use props
robryan1720
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518166 ft
  • >>>
United States

Getting the same thing, since it is showing my exact dynamic location on the screen then the RC has to be getting a signal I updated everything a couple of days ago.
2015-4-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Maybe I will hold off on the update for a while? I don't mind the GPS drop outs as they are temporary, everything else is predictable so far.
2015-4-18
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-19 01:31
I haven't updated my Inspire yet as I had difficulties on the first update. however, yesterday I was ...

Dangair,

I meant on the RC not the Bird.
I can set the Home point on the Bird no problem.
Are you referring to the bars on the app? These are are representation of the GPS on the BIRD not the RC.
2015-4-18
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

I also have had this problem since upgrading. DJI replied to one of my posts about it and said the tolerances were tighter now, the RC has to have a better GPS lock than before.  That is curious as I thought I was flying in very safe areas at the times I experienced it, certainly the bird had excellent GPS signal.  ???
2015-4-18
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

philbard Posted at 2015-4-19 06:54
I also have had this problem since upgrading. DJI replied to one of my posts about it and said the t ...

Weird...  So how are we supposed to know what this tolerance is when the only indication we have is a BLUE  or RED dot or none at all... But if I have a blue dot I should have the needed signal....
Anybody using the dynamic home point successfully out there?
2015-4-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-19 04:01
Dangair,

I meant on the RC not the Bird.

Ok perhaps I'm missing something here Genettico? Doesn't the home point work off the gps on the bird with the app? Also how can you set the home point on the aircraft without the RC showing it?  Can you set the home point without the APP? I get that you are saying that the app will not allow you to set the home point? I'm not understanding how you can set it on the bird without the app doing so? Not saying you cant, just trying to fully make sense of what mt issue was. Perhaps they are unrelated.
2015-4-18
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-19 08:51
Ok perhaps I'm missing something here Genettico? Doesn't the home point work off the gps on the bir ...

When you start the I1's motors it records the home based on the GPS Module of the BIrd, before take off...this is regardless if you have the App on or not... Your confirmation it did is by the fast blinking Green LED at the tail of the bird. From that point, if you want to set the home point to a different location  other than the previously recorded one  you have two options via the app. This is called: "dynamic home point".

1. To the bird.  If you choose this option it will set the Home point to where the bird is at that moment. It will use the GPS module of the bird to pinpoint that location.

2.To the remote controller (RC). It will do so using the built in GPS module on the RC.

While on the app, looking at the top next to the satellite icon, the bars represent the GPS signal strength as captured/monitored by GPS module of the bird. The equivalent to the RC are the different dot colors (red for weak signal), (blue for good signal). Furthermore, the dot and the icon for I1 (while looking at map) shows the orientation (which way you are facing) for the bird and the RC. (See video on my first post)

Now... (Remembering the intial HOME point  is set  automatically), I can set the dynamic home point to the Bird using the app no problem... But I cannot for the RC.

If your home point is not recorded before take off and you have to fly around for bird  to set is a different issue than mine. You should have displayed green color on the center top section and the "safe to fly (gps)" sign indicating you have GPS lock. If not, perhaps you are flying  somewhere that obstructs the view to the bird... Interferance, or perhaps you might not be waiting enough for bird to lock signal?
In my case i have full strong signal for both bird and RC, and my initial homepoint sets fine, and I can afterwards set dynamic homepoint to bird... But not RC... And even though the app shows full signal... When I play back the recorded log, the dot is not even there....
2015-4-18
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Ok so that I am getting this right, you are saying that the rc is not showing your home point location? I will assume then if you physically move the rc from one spot during the flight let's say walk across the field, the dynamic feature of following the RC is not working, is this correct?
2015-4-18
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

You are not alone. I have the same issue.
Don't won't to go off topic but how did you record your screen? I found your video clip extremely useful explanation.
I'm using Ipad2 latest OS firmware and latest Inspire firmware update.
2015-4-18
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-19 12:12
When you start the I1's motors it records the home based on the GPS Module of the BIrd, before take ...

I always try to set the Home Point manually as an extra precaution.  This it seems can only be done after the bird is in the air, (24/7 chat line confirmed this) so I take off, hover at about 1m agl,  set home point manually on the app then I am sure and confident it will return exactly.

I am just not convinced about the auto home point and think this may be a plausible reason for some fly offs, perhaps heading to the previous home point  from the last flight.

I really think DJI should also be considering providing us with an exact satellite count in future firmware upgrades as many others have also commented, how can you know properly how many satellite fixes have been captured.
2015-4-19
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-19 13:37
Ok so that I am getting this right, you are saying that the rc is not showing your home point locati ...

I'm not sure if you understand that the RC does not show anything... The app when connected to RC does..you SET the RC home point THRU the app.... And if it takes... It SHOWS it there... Maybe is the way you are phrasing it...and you do understand it...  But anyways... Yes to the second part... I cannot set Home point using the location of RC.
2015-4-19
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-4-19 15:56
You are not alone. I have the same issue.
Don't won't to go off topic but how did you record your s ...

USing SHOU app...

click on this link:
http://youtu.be/Xog-GBLA8I8

And after click on the link provided in description from your IOS device.
2015-4-19
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-19 21:45
I always try to set the Home Point manually as an extra precaution.  This it seems can only be don ...

Yes...correct... You have to hover... I also do not have issue setting Homepoint manually (dynamic) for the bird!
2015-4-19
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I just checked and I can not set the "Home Point" to RC either. I used to able to, but not now. I hope DJI fixes this "bug".
2015-4-19
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-19 21:45
I always try to set the Home Point manually as an extra precaution.  This it seems can only be don ...

I think a great addition to the app would be a red dot on the map display showing the current home point. It would take some programming to do, and to move it if you reset the point, but that would provide us with direct feedback as to where the bird would be landing if it dropped into RTH.

As mentioned before I too have the problem, even when GPS for the remote was strong.
2015-4-19
Use props
tdhines81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988406 ft
United States

Mine will not allow rc position as well.

2015-4-19
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Looks like we have yet another bug. Have you you reported it Genettico?

Two great idea's here guys.
I think there was a thread for future requests. These would be very helpful

GB44
I really think DJI should also be considering providing us with an exact satellite count in future firmware upgrades as many others have also commented, how can you know properly how many satellite fixes have been captured.

Edit
2015-4-19
Use props
philbard
lvl.2
United States

Rockeyes Posted at 2015-4-20 01:39
Looks like we have yet another bug. Have you you reported it Genettico?

Two great idea's here guys. ...

Actually, my mistake. Just went out for a flight, the home point IS recorded on the map, green dot with an H. It also updates when you reset, way to go DJI. Never noticed it before, duh... Still no update of RC as homepoint though, haven't been able to do it even once since the upgrade flying multiple locations.
2015-4-19
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Sorry Genettico I just wanted to be absolutely sure what the issue is for everyone's sake. While I don't have a solution perhaps Ed and other DJI employees may read this and forward the condition to the engineers for re hashing.
The problem I'm seeing now is that we have all mostly gotten used to the last firmwares issues and now we enter into yet another barrage of problems with the latest attempt to fix the old issues. They just seem to have made a different mess to clean up.
2015-4-19
Use props
gdc2510
lvl.2
Flight distance : 343583 ft
Australia

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-19 23:08
Yes...correct... You have to hover... I also do not have issue setting Homepoint manually (dynamic ...

Also unable to set RTH to RC position. Have the blue dot implying the RC has a good GPS signal. It might be useful to have a bar graph display for the RC GPS instead of a blue or red dot.
2015-4-19
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-20 06:48
Sorry Genettico I just wanted to be absolutely sure what the issue is for everyone's sake. While I d ...

No need for apologies. I was merely trying to make sure I explained myself right, and that I understood you as well...I don't mind going into detail in the effort to expand knowledge or understanding for me or the forums.
Something I should have mentioned is that the bars associated to remote control while looking at the app (on top) refer to the signal strength between RC and BIRD.. Not to GPS.. Perhaps this is something that leads to confusion..

The issue with dynamic home point has been going on.. However I think they just rid the option on this firmware until they sort it out..(or has anyone used it and set it sucessfully?) . I find it irritating that the the dot is not even recorded on the fligh log, even though before firmware it was... Also, that DJI's 'of the shelve' answer seems to be:' fly somewhere else'. I have had a rant about the RC dot jumping all over the place while flying but displaying as if it never moved on flight data playback... . On a different thread I exposed how the signal of RC is affected by the mode you are flying in (Airplane, wifi, and cellular) and seemed to have proved that the best flying way to enhance RC location is actually with wifi on but nor actually linked to a network..
The GPS module on the RC is said to be not as good as the one on BIRD, and DJI insists that  we might not be able to set It because of interference, or that something is blocking RC view to the skies, or that the KP index is too high...
ALL are very valid concerns..... But and however.., if and when you fly on wide open spaces, with no trees or obstructions whatsoever, with a small tablet so as to not allow the RC module to be covered and away from any obvious interference and having a BLUE DOT signaling good reception and We STILL cannot set the a Dynamic home point to RC then I think me/we have 3 options:

1. Hardware/software  issues with my/our RCs and/or App. I guess I can have a defective RC... However I have 2 controllers and I have tried both and I have also tried a friend's... also I have tried with IOS iPhone 6, iPad Air 1 and 2 and android!... I WILL say that for some reason the DOT does show up on my iPad AIR but not on my Air ... So that might be something to look at.
2. DJI knows there is an issue and they are working on it... But to avoid further mishaps and people claiming 'false advertisement' or something of the like (as they promote this feature) .. opted to eliminate the abilitty to set it until they sort it out. I feel DJI should explain what are the tolerances we should abide by to be able to use it...if there is nothing wrong with the software on app and RC and ruling out issues with the GPS module and environmental issues... So then what is impeding its use?
However, as wel all know...customer support is strained and when you finally get a hold of someone you are fed their 'loop' answers, and this is if the nice customer support rep is able to master enough English to convey these.
3. I'm missing something horribly and this is nothing but a huge mistake from my part... And I'm wasting all our time!

DJI..can we get a little guidance here?

has ANYONE sucessfully set it? If so... can you record your screen when you did it share it as a video? and tell us the  conditions you WERE able to set it in? I.e  tablet used, temperature, KP index of that day, geographical location, etc?

Thank you all that are willing to help.
http://youtu.be/Ia_sjREFyfo

2015-4-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

How are we gonna come home if we are cruising around on a boat?

Bob
2015-4-19
Use props
Aussie Pete
lvl.1

Australia

Location......South Australia...down under.
Temp....20 degrees C
Weather...clear blue sky's.
No buildings...metal objects...phones in pocket etc etc
Confirmation....dynamic home point cannot be set to the pilot /tx...."poor signal".
Confimation.....home point can be up to 30 meters away from first start up and wanders around the ground.
Picked up the Inspire and placed in a different location some 30 meters away....reset home point on the app to the Inspire...now the red dot is very close the actual Inspire postion.
Tablet is Samsung Galaxy Tab S T700 8"...with Flight mode turned off.
Tried several transmitter positions with the tablet right out of the way from the tx gps , even held the tx up in the air with the tablet laying down....still poor signal....wont set home to the pilot.
Hmmmmm..."Houston"...we have a problem.
                          ...Pete
2015-4-19
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-20 10:56
How are we gonna come home if we are cruising around on a boat?

Bob

Lol...I wish I was..
2015-4-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

I was serious -
I plan on doing ALOT of filming from boats, WTH happened to Dynamic Home Point, (it's super important to me).

Bob
2015-4-19
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-20 12:18
I was serious -
I plan on doing ALOT of filming from boats, WTH happened to Dynamic Home Point, ( ...

Hahahaha!! ok... Yeah... That makes more sense than the joke as I took your comment for...
Good question indeed... Lets see how many people report they have sucesfully set RC homepoint, and the conditions in which they were flying...  Im actually hoping there is people out there that can prove to us that it is working...

I am dissapointed however that even if it is... I have not been able to set it after the firmware update...other people continue to have issues with weak signal... And the RC point jumping all over the place seems regardless of ideal environment.
2015-4-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

I have not tried it yet, (had no need), but I will tomorrow at the field and let you know.

Bob
2015-4-19
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-20 13:46
I have not tried it yet, (had no need), but I will tomorrow at the field and let you know. BTW... Do you know how to do PMs? Can you tell me how to if you do?

Thank you... That will definintely help...
Do you know how to do PMs? Can you tell me how to if you do?
2015-4-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-20 13:54
Thank you... That will definintely help...
Do you know how to do PMs? Can you tell me how to if yo ...

Not sure if we are "eligible" for pm's or not.
Find one of Ed's posts, then quote him with your PM question (so he will see it)

Bob
2015-4-19
Use props
BPoHVoodoo
lvl.2

Germany

I can confirm that behaviour on my I1, too
2015-4-20
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155646 ft
United States

yep, we all have same issue, DJI needs to address this,  we need to make sure we email them this problem!
2015-4-20
Use props
dentin11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155646 ft
United States

here is something from a previous forum member's post:

DJI says the home dynamic home point will not work with the iPad mini wifi 4G.  The app can not get he GPS data from the iPad mini!

So, our miniipad's have to have a cell signal to give the app its gps location, and if we are in airplane mode or all signals are off, then dynamic home point will not work?  ??
2015-4-20
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-21 01:07
Im also not able to set him point on RC since firmware update. It worked every time before that and ...

Indeed there is a built in GPS Module on the RC. as stated before,... the Mobile device's GPS only "compliments'/aids the RC's weaker than the Bird's GPS module. You should not have to worry about flying on Airplane mode if you have good signal lock.I didnt  few times.. and as yours it worked just fine..  However.. I had mixed results before the firmware... so I just left it "OFF" airplane mode.

2015-4-20
Use props
tomax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3788478 ft
Australia

Same problem with mine.  Did 3 flights on the weekend and even move the RC 5 meters away from the inspire thinking it might be gps interference. But no luck   
2015-4-20
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-4-20 13:27
Hahahaha!! ok... Yeah... That makes more sense than the joke as I took your comment for...
Good q ...

rain/cold/wind today, no flying for me brother.
40kt gusts tomorrow as well.

Bob
2015-4-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I'm using the newest iPad mini 2 retina wifi/cellular . I've updated the rc, batterys and bird no problems.
Flew it testing rth all ok , spool motors got homepoint less than a half second took off flew out 100 ft hovered then walked about 40 feet to my right from original take off point and now reset my home point to the rc hit rth and presto bird gained altitude dropped gear then turned towards me and flew right to my new position , tested all the auto take off and land features too with no problems everything works ok so far..
While I walked to the new spot where I reset the home point the blue circle in app I think followed me via the rc units GPS , I'll have to review my post flight records and see if I was mistaken.
2015-4-20
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-21 07:37
I'm using the newest iPad mini 2 retina wifi/cellular . I've updated the rc, batterys and bird no pr ...

That is great news.. Can you record your flight log via shou app or the like and share it with us? Also.. What were the environmental conditions of your flight? Like the temperature. Location of your flight.... Time KP index..Proximity to objects... Etc? Also what mode did you fly in? Airplane? Wifi? Cellular?

Thank yo fo sharing
2015-4-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules