8897 25 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Piero Leonardo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12946 ft
United Kingdom

Hi everybody.

I'm a new pilot and just got my first drone, the amazing Spark.

I'm having a few issues to unlock a GEO zone. This is where I 'm located (in the badly done paint mark in blue to the left side).
geo_home_zone.PNG

As you can see, I'm in an yellow zone. Here are the problems:

1) I don't seem to be able to find a yellow buttom to unlock the big yellow circle exactly where  I am located. I can unlock this "The Valley" zone, a yellow circle inside my yellow circle, south of my home point across the river.
2) both my Galaxy S8 and the wife's Google Pixel are unable to keep internet on 4G when I connect to either the aircraft or the remote controller WiFi. Then if I start flying, the authorization box will come into the application, and if I give it authorization, it says my mobile can't reach the network (as 4g is not on and obviously the aircraft WiFi doesn't have internet).

Also, it seems there are inconsistencies between what the app says it is unlock and what the drone thinks:

I would think I'd be able to get an update here in the drone list if I had internet.
Screenshot_20171225-151538.png

My two questions are:

1) Should I be able to fly in the big yellow circle if I can only unlock the smaller circle below? I guess the answer is not, but then where is the button to unlock the big circle?
2) Do I require a internet connection to fly? I 'd think not necessarily but it would help unlock zones etc.

Any help will be appreciated.
Merry Xmas

Piero

Screenshot_20171225-154724.png
2017-12-25
Use props
lsufan861
lvl.2
United States

Yes, you can fly in a yellow area.  You need to do an unlock via the flysafe website.  
2017-12-25
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
Flight distance : 539518 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Piero, firstly - Merry Christmas! I hope you had a good day beside form the Spark unlocking issue.

I have a few questions regarding the unlocking sync on the flysafe website vs. the controller .
Please check if you are inputting the correct flight controller SN when submit the advanced unlocking on the website.
The correct flight controller SN can be found in  General Setting->About page after connect to the drone.

Here are two methods to unlock Authorization yellow Zones by yourself.
  1. Use the latest DJI GO app and login it with your DJI account. When  you are in the zone area, please make the mobile device have live  internet access. Here will be warning message on the DJI Go app asking  you to unlock the zone. Then please follow the instruction on the app to  do unlocking step by step.

2.If you will not have internet  access at the zone area, you can use the Flight Planner on the GEO  website to unlock in advance. You will need to enter your device flight controller serial number (start with number '0') (picture attached) which can be found at DJI Go app General Setting->About page after connect to the drone.
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

Below is the video of how to unlock GEO zone for your reference.

Let me know how you get on.
2017-12-25
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Unfortunately, you do need some sort of internet connection when you unlock via the APP, however - please try and use wifi and sync the flysafe web unlock to the app  - then boot up the wifi to spark (if you are using mobile phone platform instead of remote controller). If you have the remote - I suggest you connect via OTG cable to the RC, then use the wifi for the DJI Go 4 APP to have internet connection to communicate to the DJI server.
2017-12-25
Use props
volleynerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25705 ft
United States

Happy Holidays!  I also have had a frustrating Christmas first day with the Spark as well.  Hoping one of you can point me in the right direction. Newbie drone/DJI/Spark user here.

I have read a bunch of the documentation and watched many videos.  Thanks for the video above - I have followed many of those steps.  From the www.dji.com/flysafe pages, it sounds like I can unlock myself via validation with my phone number, which I have done, multiple times.  Actually realized through this post that I was using the serial number of my SPARK, and not the SN of the flight controller.  I don't have a flight controller, just using the app on my Android phone, so found the serial number of that "flight controller" and requested another unlock of authorized flight area - get SUCCESS on the web page.  Shows VALID unlock authorization in the app.  

Try to take off in the app, and still have RED in the status bar / banner at the top. Cannot take off.  When try to take off, get a warning that I'm in a restricted area (just barely one street into the edge of the yellow zone), and I answer the two checkboxes and submit.  Error that I have to submit at the web site. Screenshot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oXNtjdTCFNDcds4n2

What I THINK is happening is that the app is not aware of the unlock.  I THINK the app is trying to hit their servers to validate my unlock (I have seen that work in the supplied tutorial video), but I'm getting an error message, seemingly telling me to do the steps on the web site I have already done.  What makes me crazy in the app is there are quite a few places where it needs internet connection to complete an operation (for example to refresh the list of unlock applications).  But I am connected WiFi to the SPARK, so the phone has no internet connection.  If I drop connection to the SPARK and jump on home WiFi then the app removes the features I'm trying to use.

Very confused by the image / video shown above, seems to be connected to the SPARK, *AND* on the internet (can tell because the map in lower left is populated).  My lower left map is only ever shown if I jump on real internet WiFi (but as above, then lose connection to the SPARK).

You can tell from above that I am very confused.  Not for lack of trying.  Was online with tech support for a good couple hours today.  They ultimately told me to email the fly safe team and hopefully get unlock resolution.   Anybody out there that can set me straight with unlock?  Tomorrow I plan to go to a nearby park that is clear of unauth zone, just couldn't get over there today.
2017-12-25
Use props
Piero Leonardo
lvl.1
United States

tim4flight Posted at 2017-12-25 14:58
Hi Piero, firstly - Merry Christmas! I hope you had a good day beside form the Spark unlocking issue.

I have a few questions regarding the unlocking sync on the flysafe website vs. the controller .

Hi Tim

Merry xmas to you too. thanks for the answer.

Yes, I figured there are two ways to unlock, but I'm getting stuck in both of them. One because my phone doesn't have internet (the one in DJI GO APP) and other because  I think I'm not unlocking the right area. See the picture I attached. There is a big circle where I'm located that there is no buttom for pinning that particular area. Then there is a smaller yellow circle with a buttom in it. I'm unlocking that one but unsure it is the correct one. I also triple check the Flight Controller Serial number. That doesn't seem to be the issue.

I also saw this video a few times before posting. It is where I got my initial instructions from.

Sounds like I will need to try the OTG cable.
2017-12-25
Use props
Piero Leonardo
lvl.1
United States

volleynerd Posted at 2017-12-25 19:11
Happy Holidays!  I also have had a frustrating Christmas first day with the Spark as well.  Hoping one of you can point me in the right direction. Newbie drone/DJI/Spark user here.

I have read a bunch of the documentation and watched many videos.  Thanks for the video above - I have followed many of those steps.  From the www.dji.com/flysafe pages, it sounds like I can unlock myself via validation with my phone number, which I have done, multiple times.  Actually realized through this post that I was using the serial number of my SPARK, and not the SN of the flight controller.  I don't have a flight controller, just using the app on my Android phone, so found the serial number of that "flight controller" and requested another unlock of authorized flight area - get SUCCESS on the web page.  Shows VALID unlock authorization in the app.  

sounds like a similar problem that I'm having.
2017-12-25
Use props
Piero Leonardo
lvl.1
United States

I spoke to Samsung today and they said in one of the latest Android updates, Google has disabled the capacity of both WiFi and 4g working at the same time. So whevener I connect in a Wifi, 4g will be automatically disabled. I will try with my old S7 which doesn't have this update later.
2017-12-26
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

volleynerd Posted at 2017-12-25 19:11
Happy Holidays!  I also have had a frustrating Christmas first day with the Spark as well.  Hoping one of you can point me in the right direction. Newbie drone/DJI/Spark user here.

I have read a bunch of the documentation and watched many videos.  Thanks for the video above - I have followed many of those steps.  From the www.dji.com/flysafe pages, it sounds like I can unlock myself via validation with my phone number, which I have done, multiple times.  Actually realized through this post that I was using the serial number of my SPARK, and not the SN of the flight controller.  I don't have a flight controller, just using the app on my Android phone, so found the serial number of that "flight controller" and requested another unlock of authorized flight area - get SUCCESS on the web page.  Shows VALID unlock authorization in the app.  

I think in all honesty - Spark is the most problematic of all the drones to connect due to it's dual WIFI connectivity...and it is greatly exacerbated when you have RC binding to Spark using WIFI and np internet connectivity to the APP whilst using unlocking feature (trust me - I have all three inc Mavic  and p4p and live in a restricted zone)!! The problem I think you're having is that since you don't have a remote controller (i.e. using phone) you are not able to simultaneously bind to AC and also have internet same time? So, even though you have unlocked via website you need to have phone communicating with spark in order to bring up the unlocking sync on the App (via WIFI). If you then do that - you don't have internet connection to the servers for sync? Only way then is to use the 4G cellular for data connection (which DJI does not make clear to customers in the scenario). If your case is that you have cellular for internet connectivity I believe that the message on your screenshot is restricting to you because you are in beginner mode? Please disable that mode - I have a feeling that tis causing you to be prompted like that. Try try and resync (whichever way - phone number unlock/web-based). And keep me in the loop. Cheers.
2017-12-26
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Piero Leonardo Posted at 2017-12-25 23:11
Hi Tim

Merry xmas to you too. thanks for the answer.

Sometimes even DJI get it wrong with the GEO zones! If this is the case - you will need DJI to unlock the coordinates via flysafe team - just provide them with the GPS coordinates of where you are  and they'll unlock the yellow zone radius up to the red restricted zones. I hope this can resolve the issue you are having (besides from the connectivity issue).  
2017-12-26
Use props
volleynerd
lvl.2
United States

Update: I was able to fly for the first time by getting out of our neighborhood and the yellow restricted zone.  Was in a green zone, so still got a prompt when taking off, but this one I could answer and start flying.  Still working through unlock issue in my home zone (yellow) with FlySafe support (slow going with 1 round trip email per day, if I'm lucky).   Now I'm on vacation out of town so looking forward to flying without ANY restricted zones.

Note: I did realize that I was probably entering the wrong serial number on FlySafe page when requesting unlock.  I was going too fast and was entering the serial number of the Spark.  Upon further read and resubmit, I see it's asking for the serial number of the Remote Controller, which I assume for me since I'm only using my phone, is the one listed in the app. Submitted for that one as well, so I had an approved unlock request for both "controllers" in the system, and still could not take off.   (Still have the hunch that it's not able to get the list of unlocks since the phone is not on the internet)

Interesting info about the "dual network" on phone.  Since I don't have a remote controller, this seems like the only way I'm going to get the app to work - features that need internet, while I'm WiFi connected to the Spark.  Have a Pixel (v1) - will have to research how/if I can enable 4g while WiFi is on.

Continuing to read and learn...
2017-12-27
Use props
Piero Leonardo
lvl.1
United States

volleynerd Posted at 2017-12-27 10:42
Update: I was able to fly for the first time by getting out of our neighborhood and the yellow restricted zone.  Was in a green zone, so still got a prompt when taking off, but this one I could answer and start flying.  Still working through unlock issue in my home zone (yellow) with FlySafe support (slow going with 1 round trip email per day, if I'm lucky).   Now I'm on vacation out of town so looking forward to flying without ANY restricted zones.

Note: I did realize that I was probably entering the wrong serial number on FlySafe page when requesting unlock.  I was going too fast and was entering the serial number of the Spark.  Upon further read and resubmit, I see it's asking for the serial number of the Remote Controller, which I assume for me since I'm only using my phone, is the one listed in the app. Submitted for that one as well, so I had an approved unlock request for both "controllers" in the system, and still could not take off.   (Still have the hunch that it's not able to get the list of unlocks since the phone is not on the internet)

Hi Volleynerd

BTW, I managed to make the 4g stays on when Wifi is connected by enabling Developer options in the Settings menu and then enabling: Keep Mobile Data turned on, and then disabling smart network switch in the Wireless menu. sort of found out these settings by accident when I was playing with USB debugging . It is working for me now , can unlock zones during flight.

Of course, as I was eager to fly, I ignored the fact that it was a really cloud and dark night so I had no GPS nor vision system and ended up crashing, but that will teach me to read the manual before flying lol.
2017-12-28
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Piero Leonardo Posted at 2017-12-28 04:26
Hi Volleynerd

BTW, I managed to make the 4g stays on when Wifi is connected by enabling Developer options in the Settings menu and then enabling: Keep Mobile Data turned on, and then disabling smart network switch in the Wireless menu. sort of found out these settings by accident when I was playing with USB debugging . It is working for me now , can unlock zones during flight.

Yes WIFI and 4G cellular data should be able to simultaneously turned ON via the device developer option sub-menu, primarily to provide faster throughput on data connection.
2017-12-28
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Piero Leonardo Posted at 2017-12-28 04:26
Hi Volleynerd

BTW, I managed to make the 4g stays on when Wifi is connected by enabling Developer options in the Settings menu and then enabling: Keep Mobile Data turned on, and then disabling smart network switch in the Wireless menu. sort of found out these settings by accident when I was playing with USB debugging . It is working for me now , can unlock zones during flight.

Hi Piero,

Glad to hear you made some progress in getting your dual connection sorted. If I may - I highly recommend that you get yourself an RC with the Spark for the ultimate flying experience. It's literally like chalk and cheese between a phone for interface!

On another note - sorry to hear you crashed it!
2017-12-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Piero, sorry for the troubles you've experienced. If you have further issues of the GEO, please write an email to FlySafe Team via flysafe@dji.com for better assistance. Also, is there any damage of the drone? I'd suggest to check if there is any error message in APP and test the performance with a low altitude.
2017-12-31
Use props
fansdcc36f5c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5810 ft
United Kingdom

The unlock serial number required is the Flight Controller (ie control board inside the Spark itself - shown in DJI Go 4 under the ‘About’ item). NOT the Spark serial number & NOT the Remote Control serial number.
It took me weeks to realise that I had been using the wrong number!
2017-12-31
Use props
djiuser_yxfdr03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

This made things even more confusing than before lol
2017-12-31
Use props
volleynerd
lvl.2
United States

Continue to have trouble with zone unlocking.  We have been on vacation out of town since my first two frustrating days with the Spark, so no problem with flying in this area.  Really enjoying my first flights. Still just using Pixel phone to control it (want to make sure I'm going to keep this thing before I dive in and buy an RC controller)

Kind of dreading going back home now to have to deal again with unlock.  Have been iterating in email with the FlySafe team over the past bunch of days, but really surprised at the process they describe I need to go through.  After providing lots of information, submitting document that I am responsible for the flights, and most surprisingly they say they can then unlock the zone for 3 months.  Then we would likely go through this same email process again?  

So comes down to two things asking here for your experience:

1 - is this iterative emails with flysafe team a process that you all had to go through once before ANY unlocks, or does this sound different / excessive?  This is far from the "couple clicks" self unlock they describe on the phone.  Wondering if I have to go through this once, then self-unlocks "just work" ?

2A - After traveling out of town and a couple days later, surprised that now I see the unlock zone entry for my original request near my home in the GO 4 app.  It's now RED, indicating that the time frame has expired (that makes sense).  I never saw that entry in the unlock list in the app those first couple days trying to unlock.

2B - I still can't shake the feeling that there is still something funky with the networking and access to the internet from within the GO 4 app.  I have been trying this with a yellow zone somewhat near where I am now just to "practice", not that I'm trying to fly there, just to see if I can get it unlocked. I see two zone unlock lists in the GO 4 app - one from the home screen menu before you "go fly".  That shows the unlock application and it's VALID.  Then the other list is in the flight controller menu (after hitting "go fly" with a WiFi connection to the Spark).  This is where I see my expired unlock app, and then a button to Refresh the list.  However this Refresh never works - giving a message that my device is offline (since I have a WiFi connection to the Spark, not the internet).  So how does this list ever get refreshed?

I have been looking all over the web for info on network settings for the Pixel to use both WiFi to the Spark and data connection.  
Found a few and have them all enabled.
- Switch to mobile data automatically
- Aggressive WiFi to mobile handover (developer)
- Mobile data always active (developer)

Any thoughts at all on other things I should try with any of the above?  
Thanks a ton for reading / helping.
2018-1-1
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

volleynerd Posted at 2018-1-1 13:46
Continue to have trouble with zone unlocking.  We have been on vacation out of town since my first two frustrating days with the Spark, so no problem with flying in this area.  Really enjoying my first flights. Still just using Pixel phone to control it (want to make sure I'm going to keep this thing before I dive in and buy an RC controller)

Kind of dreading going back home now to have to deal again with unlock.  Have been iterating in email with the FlySafe team over the past bunch of days, but really surprised at the process they describe I need to go through.  After providing lots of information, submitting document that I am responsible for the flights, and most surprisingly they say they can then unlock the zone for 3 months.  Then we would likely go through this same email process again?  

Did you ever try the OTG cable route as mentioned?
2018-1-4
Use props
volleynerd
lvl.2
United States

tim4flight Posted at 2018-1-4 03:22
Did you ever try the OTG cable route as mentioned?

I don't have Remote Controller, so think OTG is not applicable to my situation.  Since I jumped into this thread with the "same problem", I'm probably confusing it a little bit - sorry about that.

My setup is Android Google Pixel as the controller.  
2018-1-4
Use props
volleynerd
lvl.2
United States

Made some progress (SUCCESS) last night with the Zone Unlock and thought I should report here if others are having the same problem.

Reminder of my setup / issue (since I jumped into this thread with same problem but different setup):  Android Google Pixel as the controller (no RC), Spark and Go 4 app not honoring a self-unlocked zone (via FlySafe web page)

Tried using my wife's iPhone last night and the process works flawlessly.  As hinted above, the Pixel (and likely other Android devices?) have a problem with accessing the internet via cell data while there is an active WiFi connection (to the Spark, that obviously does not have internet). The iPhone must handle this much better.

The Go 4 app - once connected to the Spark and in FLY NOW mode, go to menu, and Unlocking List.  Has the zone(s) listed there, and the key - button link right under the list to Synchronize Unlock information.  Hit this, it takes only a couple seconds, and apparently now the unlock info is sent to the Spark.  Now can toggle a zone ON, and ready to take off (answer authorization prompts).  Go 4 app on Android does not have that link and instead a Refresh button link, which doesn't work - gives error that the app is not connected to the internet.  Also really confusing that even on the Android, the zone unlock requests are listed and VALID status in the Go 4 app, in the menu off the main start screen (not in Fly Now mode).  That list is somehow different (just echoes what you see in the web site for your account?) than the one in the Fly Now mode that really matters - sync'd with the Spark.

You must have all thought I was crazy, "it just works".  Well, not so much, on the Pixel at least.  Now I just have to make sure my wife is around when I want to fly in a auth-required zone.  ;)  I only have to use her phone to sync the unlock list to the Spark.  Then switch back to my phone for flying.  (I know, I should get a remote control.  I plan to, but not sure this problem will go away. My Pixel will still not have an internet connection since as I understand it, will be connected WiFi to the controller - no OTG cable these days if I'm following along correctly in other forum posts).

Hope this helps someone else get it working.
2018-1-4
Use props
tim4flight
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hey - glad to hear you got it going!
2018-1-6
Use props
annunal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 850 ft
Italy

I am connected with Spark RC with a cable, the mobile has internet connection, I have license to fly in this area but nevertheless the drone cannot take off.

I saw a lot of posts and many have the same problem. Is this something happening only with Android version of DJI GO 4 ?    Few days ago I had to use an iPhone to upgrade th Remote controller firmware as with the Android there was no way to do it.

So I wonder if the impossibility to unlock fly zone is not a similar issue, reserved only for the iphone version of the app.  Has some Android users been able to really unlock a flysafe zone ?
2018-8-8
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Use NLD mod app, and delete NFZ warnings.
2018-8-8
Use props
annunal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 850 ft
Italy

Jos A Posted at 2018-8-8 22:12
Use NLD mod app, and delete NFZ warnings.

Thanks Joe for suggestion, maybe one day. But this is a feature that MUST work by design. I asked DJI support and they also have not clear idea. One operator suggested to calibrate IMU and was totally useless.

So the question is for Android users: is there anyboday that was able to use this feature (without additional apps like NLD) ?

thanks
2018-8-8
Use props
SonOfMu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39124 ft
Guam

When I viewed your screenshot I had that very same problem.  the remedy was instead of using my wifi at home I turned on my cellphone hotspot and connected the djigo4 app  to my cellphone hotspot.  then I updated the djigo4 app.  then I made sure I was logged into my dji account (mandatory) in the djigo4app.  turned everything off.  use the usb cord and connect the controller to the drone.  turn both on.  review your settings and the rest should be a piece of cake.  I tried many times using the wifi to download flysafe database and license with no success till i connected to  my cellular phone internet.  I would write a step by step procedure but i don't have the time right now.  hope this helps steer you in the right direction.
2019-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules