Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJi spark range problem
12Next >
3976 41 2017-12-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Prsmeds
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3711 ft
United States

I just got the remote for my spark today and the range was increased by a lot. I got to about 1,100 feet, and then lost connection, and it is supposed to go a mile!!! Is there anything I can do to fix this? also, would range extenders and an otg cable help with this problem?
IMG_5915.PNG
2017-12-25
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.3
United States

Sorry about that picture, I didn't mean to post it.
2017-12-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

In which country are you located? If you are in Europe or a country where the CE standard applies, this would be already a good range to start with.
2017-12-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Could you still see your spark at 1100 feet?
2017-12-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-26 06:12

I did not read anything about, that he asked how to see the bird better, hallmark
2017-12-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-26 06:24
I did not read anything about, that he asked how to see the bird better, hallmark

Hey S-v-en your becoming a troll now, that was a question to OP.
2017-12-26
Use props
Vyborny83
Second Officer
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-26 06:24

Ignore him. It is pointless to try to reason with him. He has his own world and wouldn't understand. Btw, given the right conditions (like a bright horizon with white clouds) it is no problem to see the Spark even 400m+ away. It is only a small black dot but still visible .

As to the problem with the range, there are many factors that could interfere. Try it somewhere else to see whether you get better range. The OTG cable might help but it is not oficially supported and does not work with the latest version of DJI Go 4 and Sparks firmware. You would have to downgrade.
2017-12-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Vyborny83 Posted at 2017-12-26 07:33
Ignore him. It is pointless to try to reason with him. He has his own world and wouldn't understand. Btw, given the right conditions (like a bright horizon with white clouds) it is no problem to see the Spark even 400m+ away. It is only a small black dot but still visible .

As to the problem with the range, there are many factors that could interfere. Try it somewhere else to see whether you get better range. The OTG cable might help but it is not oficially supported and does not work with the latest version of DJI Go 4 and Sparks firmware. You would have to downgrade.

It would help if you read the posts before you comment, my discussion was with op not seven,
2017-12-26
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.3
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-12-26 00:54
In which country are you located? If you are in Europe or a country where the CE standard applies, this would be already a good range to start with.

Im in california
2017-12-26
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-26 06:12

I could get ok footage, and I could see it in the sky unless houses were blocking it
2017-12-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Prsmeds Posted at 2017-12-26 08:36
I could get ok footage, and I could see it in the sky unless houses were blocking it

If you have anything ie as you said houses in your line these are severely going to affect signal, you must always have the line of site from controller to aircraft clear and antennas in the upright position, also distance might change when using different wave bands 2.4ghz/5.8ghz.
Also try different areas open areas with no interference will get best results.
2017-12-26
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-12-26 08:42
If you have anything ie as you said houses in your line these are severely going to affect signal, you must always have the line of site from controller to aircraft clear and antennas in the upright position, also distance might change when using different wave bands 2.4ghz/5.8ghz.
Also try different areas open areas with no interference will get best results.

ok, thanks for the advice
2017-12-26
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Prsmeds Posted at 2017-12-26 08:53
ok, thanks for the advice

I think DJI states "up to" as the range.  You won't see that unless you have ideal conditions and environment.  Range in populated areas would be more of a joke.

You really need to keep on top of the signal level if you want to fly far out.  Plus, you are putting your drone at real risk of loss.

As a model airplane hobbyists, with several model airplanes and one helicopter, I would rather just see drones banned by law than keep having people claim to be hobbyists without bothering to keep the drone near themselves.  All kinds of damage to the model hobby's image is done by those people.  
2017-12-26
Use props
Filip3rd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39390 ft
Iran

Unfortunately there is no one true/absolute distance.

DJI says 1.2 kilometer
X says he did 3
Y post video that did 4
And sooooooo on. I wish there was one answer.

The best thing is to test it your self. Start meter by meter. But remember in a area with no interference you get bettter result then in crowded city.
2017-12-26
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

I am getting an even lower range. I flew it in an open park that has clear space but I am getting a weak transmission warning at around the 50-60m altitude range which seem to be quite short considering the general legal limit (120m) and what is advertised. And this does not take into account the horizontal distance (meaning I am directly below the drone). If I fly the drone away, then the warning message is triggered at an even lower altitude. This is in normal mode (not beginner or sport mode).

I have tried ignoring the message and sending the drone up to 80m and it is still connected but I am not confident of flying it too far off due to that warning message.
2017-12-26
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

i think the warning message is a hoax...as long as you leave it unattended, nothing will take place...i have a similar experience on a fly zone area...it shows 30 meter altitude and 50 meter distance but i can move more than 400 meter distance !! there is some flaw in the app software
2017-12-26
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

S.J Posted at 2017-12-26 21:37
i think the warning message is a hoax...as long as you leave it unattended, nothing will take place...i have a similar experience on a fly zone area...it shows 30 meter altitude and 50 meter distance but i can move more than 400 meter distance !! there is some flaw in the app software

It's just concerning to have that warning blinking, not sure when you might lose control, especially since I was thinking of taking it on trips.

I did try sending it to higher altitude and still have control over the drone but the image transmission is not smooth, quite significant lag. Tried some troubleshooting with the dji chat support but the problem doesn't go away so moving on to the technical team. Might return the drone.
2017-12-26
Use props
S.J
Captain
Kuwait

djiuser_yUsyV8Q Posted at 2017-12-26 22:55
It's just concerning to have that warning blinking, not sure when you might lose control, especially since I was thinking of taking it on trips.

I did try sending it to higher altitude and still have control over the drone but the image transmission is not smooth, quite significant lag. Tried some troubleshooting with the dji chat support but the problem doesn't go away so moving on to the technical team. Might return the drone.

The solution here is do not open your GPS on your mobile device . Let the SPARK use its own GPS .
2017-12-26
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

S.J Posted at 2017-12-26 23:07
The solution here is do not open your GPS on your mobile device . Let the SPARK use its own GPS .

That's interesting~ Let me try that in my next flight. Thanks for the suggestion! I guess my location will not be reflected on the map then in this case. I am also wondering if I should trying downgrading the version if this is a software issue. Have you tried that? I certainly hope its not something wrong with the RC or Drone's hardware.

I just refreshed the latest version using DJI Assistant, suggested by chat support.
2017-12-26
Use props
S.J
Captain
Kuwait

djiuser_yUsyV8Q Posted at 2017-12-26 23:34
That's interesting~ Let me try that in my next flight. Thanks for the suggestion! I guess my location will not be reflected on the map then in this case. I am also wondering if I should trying downgrading the version if this is a software issue. Have you tried that? I certainly hope its not something wrong with the RC or Drone's hardware.

I just refreshed the latest version using DJI Assistant, suggested by chat support.

The SPARK firmware must be the latest 0.900 .  The RC must have the latest firmware 0.400

The apk app can be versions prior to 4.1.18 . Do not use it on 4.1.18.  Use 4.1.15 or previous. Do not confirm the OK while the mobile request you to update /reset  wifi location settings. ( this confirmation will not turn up again after you use the app for two or three times)

Your location will be marked correct in the map irrespective of mobile GPS in switched OFF condition  .

2017-12-27
Use props
fans6d0ba4fd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4117756 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I updated at the latest firmware (900) and the app (IOS) DJI go4  4.1.20 (DJI says 22 but actually on IOS is 20 in the app store) and the OTG is working. Why you say is not working?
2017-12-27
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

S.J Posted at 2017-12-27 04:48
The SPARK firmware must be the latest 0.900 .  The RC must have the latest firmware 0.400

The apk app can be versions prior to 4.1.18 . Do not use it on 4.1.18.  Use 4.1.15 or previous. Do not confirm the OK while the mobile request you to update /reset  wifi location settings. ( this confirmation will not turn up again after you use the app for two or three times)

Yup, my drone and RC firmware are the latest. I tried turning on and off the GPS, doesn't seem to be make a difference, still getting the error. I did try changing locations though, the last place I flew it which is more spacious than the previous, gets the warning message at 30-40m. But I continue pushing it to test the limit. The signal gets cut off (no signal message and visuals disappear from mobile) at 100m altitude, 100m distance (no obstruction object) Is that normal/acceptable?

Haven't try an earlier app version yet though, but there is an new app version released today. Going to update it and try again.
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

fans6d0ba4fd Posted at 2017-12-27 09:33
I updated at the latest firmware (900) and the app (IOS) DJI go4  4.1.20 (DJI says 22 but actually on IOS is 20 in the app store) and the OTG is working. Why you say is not working?

My OTG not working. Basically when I connect with OTG, my drone doesn't detect any GPS/altitude/distance parameters. Works fine if my RC and mobile is connected by WiFi. This issue is faced by other users as well though.
2017-12-28
Use props
Emerald
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Similar thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-107614-1-1.html

Have you tried turning the antenna so that the flat bit is pointing towards the sky? I had the pointy bit towards the sky and the signal was awful.

2017-12-28
Use props
S.J
Captain
Kuwait

djiuser_yUsyV8Q Posted at 2017-12-28 06:27
Yup, my drone and RC firmware are the latest. I tried turning on and off the GPS, doesn't seem to be make a difference, still getting the error. I did try changing locations though, the last place I flew it which is more spacious than the previous, gets the warning message at 30-40m. But I continue pushing it to test the limit. The signal gets cut off (no signal message and visuals disappear from mobile) at 100m altitude, 100m distance (no obstruction object) Is that normal/acceptable?

Haven't try an earlier app version yet though, but there is an new app version released today. Going to update it and try again.

try the version 4.1.15 and see if there is any improvement.

I'am using the app V4.1.15 with SPARK version 0.9000.  I have shown here that I could travel nearly 1.5 KM one way but due to battery , I had to RTH
2017-12-28
Use props
dansmar
First Officer
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

One last thing, you might try is to manually change the WiFi channel- other than that it sounds defective

I am in Nevada - no range issues here (latest iOS app) latest firmware - using WiFi (hoping otg is restored soon as more stable and faster downloads to device)
2017-12-28
Use props
Prsmeds
lvl.3
United States

dansmar Posted at 2017-12-28 08:07
One last thing, you might try is to manually change the WiFi channel- other than that it sounds defective

I am in Nevada - no range issues here (latest iOS app) latest firmware - using WiFi (hoping otg is restored soon as more stable and faster downloads to device)

Ok, thanks
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

S.J Posted at 2017-12-28 07:56
try the version 4.1.15 and see if there is any improvement.

I'am using the app V4.1.15 with SPARK version 0.9000.  I have shown here that I could travel nearly 1.5 KM one way but due to battery , I had to RTH

Ooo 1.5K is such a wide range especially for a spark. I shall be content with the advertised 500m if it can even go that far :\  Will try the latest app version first, the whole setup seem to have rebooted after I tried connecting yesterday so hopefully that might make a difference. If not, then I will try 4.1.15 next, any suggestion where I can get that apk without any adware etc.
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

Emerald Posted at 2017-12-28 07:07
Similar thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-107614-1-1.html

[view_image]

Yup, I followed the best practices in the Dji Video for the antenna positioning and tried shifting but did not notice a huge difference.
2017-12-28
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

djiuser_yUsyV8Q Posted at 2017-12-28 20:28
Yup, I followed the best practices in the Dji Video for the antenna positioning and tried shifting but did not notice a huge difference.

Either the antenna was being blocked by something like the end of it facing the drone or you were in an area where other people were broadcasting on your channel.  The Spark's link would break down as you flew further from the RC and closer to the source of interference.  Actually, up high I think the interference would just be unmasked by structures and able to raise havoc with your drone.

What did the radio spectrum look like in the app?

My hovering Spark started complaining about interference when I was flying with my RC plane on 2.4ghz and had a GoPro operating its WiFi.  I brought it down and gave it a good spanking, told it to behave, and put it back in the air!  

Actually I just landed it to be safe ;)
2017-12-28
Use props
Emerald
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-28 20:53
Either the antenna was being blocked by something like the end of it facing the drone or you were in an area where other people were broadcasting on your channel.  The Spark's link would break down as you flew further from the RC and closer to the source of interference.  Actually, up high I think the interference would just be unmasked by structures and able to raise havoc with your drone.

What did the radio spectrum look like in the app?

Will selecting a channel manually help? How do I select a channel, the one with the highest bar?

I just got hit with the same problem today. Drone was in VLOS, 300m away. Signal lost, and I barely made it back home. There are a few obstructions in the way though, but they shouldn't harm the signal too much. Between me and the drone there was a metal fence and a few trees, but clear sky otherwise.
2017-12-28
Use props
S.J
Captain
Kuwait

djiuser_yUsyV8Q Posted at 2017-12-28 20:27
Ooo 1.5K is such a wide range especially for a spark. I shall be content with the advertised 500m if it can even go that far :\  Will try the latest app version first, the whole setup seem to have rebooted after I tried connecting yesterday so hopefully that might make a difference. If not, then I will try 4.1.15 next, any suggestion where I can get that apk without any adware etc.

The below flight path for today ( Almost 2 KM including return path distance

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/CPN89JVT71GY88FKTY4C/

Another flight path with almost 1.5 kilometer x 2 = 3 kilometer including return distance done three days ago

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WXC4TQKQR86USG4GD5T8/

Cheer up, the SPARK works well as long as the pre check list is done in correct sequence
2017-12-28
Use props
S.J
Captain
Kuwait

In quality assurance terms using  lean six sigma principles, the SPARK has only one IMU and One compass and therefore the manufacturer has to ensure the quality of production is at least 99.9996%  correct which is a high figure to maintain )

2017-12-28
Use props
Gunship9
Captain
United States

Emerald Posted at 2017-12-28 21:06
Will selecting a channel manually help? How do I select a channel, the one with the highest bar?

I just got hit with the same problem today. Drone was in VLOS, 300m away. Signal lost, and I barely made it back home. There are a few obstructions in the way though, but they shouldn't harm the signal too much. Between me and the drone there was a metal fence and a few trees, but clear sky otherwise.

Not so much picking a good channel as checking that the channels aren't busy in your area.  Or, switch to 5.8ghz like I did because that band had no one on it in my neighborhood.

There are videos on making sure the spectrum is clear.
2017-12-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_yUsyV8Q Posted at 2017-12-28 06:30
My OTG not working. Basically when I connect with OTG, my drone doesn't detect any GPS/altitude/distance parameters. Works fine if my RC and mobile is connected by WiFi. This issue is faced by other users as well though.

'Basically when I connect with OTG, my drone doesn't detect any GPS/altitude/distance parameters'

This is not true!
Only the app isn't showing them as live parameter.
You can check in your flight records at playback, every parameter of the flight is there
Which is  suggesting, to me at least, that this was not a accident from the very beginning of the otg 'flight parameter' problems.
Since it is still shown in mavic, there is from 4.1.18 (android) on, something changed for the Spark only.
Something that was working before very well.
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-28 21:20
Not so much picking a good channel as checking that the channels aren't busy in your area.  Or, switch to 5.8ghz like I did because that band had no one on it in my neighborhood.

There are videos on making sure the spectrum is clear.

Is it normal that when I change to a channel which is initially low bar (within first row grid) and green, once I switched to it, it just goes like high into 2nd row grid which is supposedly a red level.
2017-12-29
Use props
djiuser_yUsyV8Q
lvl.1
Singapore

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-12-28 21:21
'Basically when I connect with OTG, my drone doesn't detect any GPS/altitude/distance parameters'

This is not true!

Yea I think the records will still reflect the parameters but for my case the drone doesn't detect it automatically during flight. This means then even when I bring it extremely close to the ground, it doesn't do warning beeps nor prompt landing (I guess it doesn't detect). And usually when not in gesture mode if you put your hand below the drone, the drone will move up to create distance from your hand, but it doesn't in this case so the sensing isn't functioning correctly. I just tried it briefly and did not go further since it is risky to fly in that context.
2017-12-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_yUsyV8Q Posted at 2017-12-29 01:06
Yea I think the records will still reflect the parameters but for my case the drone doesn't detect it automatically during flight. This means then even when I bring it extremely close to the ground, it doesn't do warning beeps nor prompt landing (I guess it doesn't detect). And usually when not in gesture mode if you put your hand below the drone, the drone will move up to create distance from your hand, but it doesn't in this case so the sensing isn't functioning correctly. I just tried it briefly and did not go further since it is risky to fly in that context.

You missunderstandig:
it is not the drone, it is the App! Not showing it.
For android users there is a downgrad to before 4.1.18 the solution.

Btw: The 'drone' (app)  is still givin all the infos it can: It is telling you (literally) "max altitude reached" (try with settings to the legal ~60m over sealevel ;-), still showing batterylevel, only not in percentage, but the green line, with RTH point, battery warning points. Another indicator, for me, that the App got deliberately coded, NOT TO show the parameter if in otg mode.
2017-12-29
Use props
Emerald
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Gunship9 Posted at 2017-12-28 21:20
Not so much picking a good channel as checking that the channels aren't busy in your area.  Or, switch to 5.8ghz like I did because that band had no one on it in my neighborhood.

There are videos on making sure the spectrum is clear.

I live in the middle of nowhere so the only Wi-Fi signal is from my own house.
2017-12-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Under CE 1,100' is what you can expect from the Spark - typically a max of 500m in optimal conditions.
2017-12-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules