Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4(ADV+) Range Problems
1715 20 2017-12-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hracek
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1352083 ft
United States

I've owned a Phantom 3 Standard since last Christmas up until this Christmas and now I have the Phantom 4 Advanced+ with 2 batteries. The best thing I was excited about was the range so of course that was the first thing I tested out whenever I took it out for a flight but immediately I was displeased with it only going a little further than my P3S could go before losing signal. I am in a crowded neighborhood but I didn't think it would affect the Phantom that much and if anything it would've affected the P3S more than the P3A+. If anyone could help me out or give me advice it would be appreciated! Thanks!

The farthest I've gone with the P3S is 3/4 mile
The farthest I've gone with the P4A is 1.1 mile

2017-12-26
Use props
AlanHd
Captain
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve had my P4P lose signal at less than 300m in a built up area., tho I am in the U.K. and from my understanding  we are CE mode.
2017-12-26
Use props
djiuser_m8PW2PP
New
Flight distance : 247825 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the P4P and love that it runs the 2.4ghz and the 5.8. I live outside a small town then it is all rural and river hills. Even flying towards the rural area I have signal issues. Once I switch to 5.8ghz the signal issues go away. It’s 1 mile from my house to the river and river is slightly over a mile wide. Did a test flight once and made it across river at roughly 13000 ft. Never would’ve made it on 2.4ghz. I can only get out about 3000 ft on 2.4. Worth the extra money for the pro in my opinion. Have to realize a lot of household electronics use 2.4ghz. Plus I can see several cell towers surrounding me out in the distance.
2017-12-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey Hracek, the range might be different in different areas. I'd suggest change to another open place without interference and check again. Do not forget to adjust the antennas.
2017-12-28
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

5.8gHz seems to be the best to get better range, ever since i switched i had no issues at all. Hopes your issues clears up.
2017-12-28
Use props
Hracek
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-28 03:31
Hey Hracek, the range might be different in different areas. I'd suggest change to another open place without interference and check again. Do not forget to adjust the antennas.

Are the antennas directional or panoramic? and if directional would you point the broad-side or the pointed side toward the aircraft?
2017-12-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hracek Posted at 2017-12-28 08:29
Are the antennas directional or panoramic? and if directional would you point the broad-side or the pointed side toward the aircraft?

Blow is the tips of adjusting the antenna, just for your reference.

2017-12-28
Use props
CoreyB10
Captain
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hracek Posted at 2017-12-28 08:29

Omni-Directional but the manual always states to have the pointing upward with the length of the antenna facing the drone. I usually have them tilted to the sides but flat with only minor glitches sometimes - not many. I do this to clear the iPad I fly with.
2018-1-3
Use props
brent5059
New

United States

djiuser_m8PW2PP Posted at 2017-12-26 22:53
I have the P4P and love that it runs the 2.4ghz and the 5.8. I live outside a small town then it is all rural and river hills. Even flying towards the rural area I have signal issues. Once I switch to 5.8ghz the signal issues go away. It’s 1 mile from my house to the river and river is slightly over a mile wide. Did a test flight once and made it across river at roughly 13000 ft. Never would’ve made it on 2.4ghz. I can only get out about 3000 ft on 2.4. Worth the extra money for the pro in my opinion. Have to realize a lot of household electronics use 2.4ghz. Plus I can see several cell towers surrounding me out in the distance.

Oh Oh. I just got off the phone after realizing the ADV model only uses the 2.4 freq although the Firebridge controller has capability for both 2.4 and 5.8. The support guy told me that 5.8 is used by more things and thus less reliable and that with the Firebridge controller on 2.4 I should have no reception problems whatsoever.So i just stuck with the ADV model in lieu of upgrading to the Pro. Whats the real skinny? Is 2.4 less used or is the 5.8 band less used?
Thanks from a new guy!
2018-1-5
Use props
eman_vg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

That is strange. My regular P4 went about 2.5 miles. I hope someone can give you the answer.
2018-1-5
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have better luck in my subdivision on 5.8.  2.4 is generally a mess.  Probably not what any advanced owner wants to hear.  
2018-1-5
Use props
Roberson Ricard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3611440 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I have the same problem with my P4A (GL300C vB) that loses the radio signal at 300 miles. The signal is too weak. I need to buy another radio?
2018-1-7
Use props
Roberson Ricard
Second Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

Roberson Ricard Posted at 2018-1-7 16:21
I have the same problem with my P4A (GL300C vB) that loses the radio signal at 300 miles. The signal is too weak. I need to buy another radio?

correction 0,3 milhas
2018-1-7
Use props
Hracek
lvl.1
United States

UPDATE: I sent the drone and RC in for diagnostics and repair and they did indeed confirm that there was a defect in the system and is giving me a free of charge repair.
2018-1-10
Use props
Roberson Ricard
Second Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

Hracek Posted at 2018-1-10 18:14
UPDATE: I sent the drone and RC in for diagnostics and repair and they did indeed confirm that there was a defect in the system and is giving me a free of charge repair.

I would like to get more details of what was done to solve the problem of your P4A
2018-1-15
Use props
Hracek
lvl.1
United States

Roberson Ricard Posted at 2018-1-15 09:49
I would like to get more details of what was done to solve the problem of your P4A

When I noticed that the defect was actually a defect and not just interference, I submitted a repair request online here (https://repair.dji.com/repair/index) and sent the drone in for repair, they diagnosed the problem and fixed it for free since it was a technical error that was happening in the drone, they did a flight test to ensure it was fixed and it is now on it's way back and should be here 2 days from now.

[img][/img]
2018-1-15
Use props
Roberson Ricard
Second Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

Hracek Posted at 2018-1-15 11:21
When I noticed that the defect was actually a defect and not just interference, I submitted a repair request online here (https://repair.dji.com/repair/index) and sent the drone in for repair, they diagnosed the problem and fixed it for free since it was a technical error that was happening in the drone, they did a flight test to ensure it was fixed and it is now on it's way back and should be here 2 days from now.

[view_image][/img]

I can not send the drone to dji's support because I live in Brazil and will certainly be retained in customs.
I'm hoping that a new firmware update might be the solution to the problem.
2018-1-15
Use props
Hracek
lvl.1
United States

Roberson Ricard Posted at 2018-1-15 14:06
I can not send the drone to dji's support because I live in Brazil and will certainly be retained in customs.
I'm hoping that a new firmware update might be the solution to the problem.

Then your best luck is to contact a certified DJI repair center in Brazil here: (https://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers) just click on South America and then click on the nearest center to you, then you should contact them about sending your drone and such as it may not be the same process as DJI's. Any company on that page is trusted because they are certified by DJI themselves to fix DJI drones so there isn't any reason to be sketchy about it if you are.
2018-1-17
Use props
cyzack
New
Myanmar

Hracek Posted at 2018-1-15 11:21
When I noticed that the defect was actually a defect and not just interference, I submitted a repair request online here (https://repair.dji.com/repair/index) and sent the drone in for repair, they diagnosed the problem and fixed it for free since it was a technical error that was happening in the drone, they did a flight test to ensure it was fixed and it is now on it's way back and should be here 2 days from now.

[view_image][/img]

I m having the same issue like yours but I cant send my bird since here no dji authorized repair shop here in Burma so May I know the problem which is exactly cause the range? so I can tell  to some technician here

and i would like to hear some advise from admins  for my problem. Its been since last late oct..
Urban city.. around 100 m
country side around 800 m
which only the bird  can go..
if u want flight log.. I ready to show..
2018-1-31
Use props
Hracek
lvl.1
United States

cyzack Posted at 2018-1-31 11:22
I m having the same issue like yours but I cant send my bird since here no dji authorized repair shop here in Burma so May I know the problem which is exactly cause the range? so I can tell  to some technician here

and i would like to hear some advise from admins  for my problem. Its been since last late oct..

The repair team didn't tell me exactly what was wrong but however when I got it back fixed, it was working fine. The only thing that I could think of is a faulty Lightbridge system
2018-2-4
Use props
VetteGuyZ06
lvl.4
Flight distance : 429114 ft
United States

I also have a P4A.  I have been 1.8 miles from the RC when it lost connection.  It did RTH on its own with no problems, but I would think it would fly farther.  I live in a rural area with a few houses and quite a few trees.  
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules