Back in the air.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

Well, after two crashes in two days, both to pilot error, I've got her back in the air.

First crash was on a saturday, flying in a local park getting some giant rock shots and flew over top of one having not properly looked around first hit a low hanging limb on top of this 25 foot tall rock, flipped my quad and landed on top of this rock.  After scaling the rock all (tomb raider style for the younger folks / Indiana Jones style for the advanced crowd) I recovered my phantom with only scuffed up props.

The very next day, (Easter Sunday) I was filming my nieces and nephews easter egg hunting, keeping about 150 foot plus away from the closest they could come, which inevitably puts me within about 30 feet of a power line to the house.  Had someone walk up to me to talk and when I turned to respond the quad must have moved by my own hand, (can only attribute it to being like driving with both hands on the wheel, you tend to turn the car in the direction you looked over your shoulder if not careful.).  Well the quad moved over the line and from my angle couldn't tell.  I went to come down for a bit of a different angle and it caught the line and my first instinct was go UP GET AWAY.  Apparently when it hit the prop guards just danced around and under the line and up sent it back into the line....down she went.  20 feet up onto grass broke two side prop guards and severely bent the gimble arm.

Took the camera apart a few days later and got the bend fixed, put it back together and everything flowed smoothly with no play.  YAY.  Plugged it in powered up, no camera response.  Put it away feeling defeated by my own actions.

Two weeks later, yesterday, got the urge to pull it out and take the camera apart again, payday was going to order a new ribbon cable as I was sure that's what I had damaged, low and behold the part that hooks into the main camera board was only slightly inserted and at an angle.

Remedied that issue and put everything back together.  Plugged it all in, checked for software updates, checked IMU calibrations and charged everything for test flights.

Yesterday afternoon with all conditions perfect, weather wise, ran three full batteries 15 minutes plus, and needless to say I got very lucky and learned a few lessons along the way.

TLDR:
Know where you are flying.
Make use of a spotter when in doubt.
Eyes on the bird, not distracted.
Learn from yours and others mistakes.
Don't give up.
2015-4-19
Use props
nrgwise
lvl.4

United States

Congrats!  Now just have fun, hopefully the worst is behind you.  Glad the damages were minimal and fixable!
2015-4-19
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Glad to hear busclas, maybe time for a gimbal guard or something to protect the gimbal and those cables..happy flying...and all good points on the distractions..Noted!
2015-4-19
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's amazing how many people want to talk while we're flying and how distracting it can be.  sounds like all is well now.
2015-4-19
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

Everything is great now....other than the weather.  :l
2015-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules