822 7 2017-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans799afcf3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8834869 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

A few days ago I tried to take panorama photos. I noticed on the map that the drone was actulally drifting for more than 50m while I took a 21-frame panorama. The wind was quite strong at that time, I guess it was about 8 to 10m/s. The GPS was working perfectly, the drone can stay in the same position when only taking a single shoot, but it seems that when the drone rotates itself during panorama shooting under strong wind, it cannot hold its position. Does anyone have the same experience? Would DJI commend on this?
2017-12-27
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

It makes sense because the Mavic would have to compensate with a more sophisticated gimbal as the main airframe countered the drift due to wind. (It would have to variably tilt into the wind as it yawed building up the pano shots.)
2017-12-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We don't recommend flying the drone when there is a strong wind. In your case, I would suggest that you can test the pano mode in a calm place with no or a slight wind and see if the drone will also drift again. Looking forward to your feedback. 御飞行环境.png
2017-12-27
Use props
Balaes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14241171 ft
  • >>>
Romania

This is hapenend even in slow wind ?
2017-12-28
Use props
fans799afcf3
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

I have taken many panorama under light wind conditions and I didn't notice any drift. Only in strong wind, it drifts a lot.
I generally have no problem with the drift, only the panorama may be spoiled.
However, the real problem is of safety concern. Under strong wind when it drifts a lot, your Mavic control is nearly dead while taking and processing panorama,
so if it drifts and is closing in to some obstacles while you have no control input to stop it, it would be very dangerous.
I hope dji can test it to give us a solid recommendation not to take panorama above certain wind speed.
2017-12-28
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I'd probably process the panos post flight - also saves battery time for more flying.
2017-12-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mavic is officially able to be 'flown' in wind speeds of up to 24MPH. Note that wind speeds increase with altitude. I too took several panos over the Christmas and had to delete most of them due to the stitching being ineffective as the drone was pulled in stronger winds. 9 still horizon panos were OK with 180 panos needed serious cropping or deleting. This is not a fault with the drone but the strong wind causing drift. I have taken perfect 180 and 360 panos in calmer conditions since. There is nothing you can do except fly in lighter winds or take more basic panos at lower altitudes @ <200' AGL.
2017-12-28
Use props
fans799afcf3
lvl.4
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2017-12-28 09:07
I'd probably process the panos post flight - also saves battery time for more flying.

Yes, I also do pano processing post flight, but the problem is, taking pano needs time and during this period Mavic will drift. For a 21-frame pano, it needs more than 30 seconds to shoot and save (or process). It needs even more time if you shoot a 34-frame pano.
2017-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules