Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Platinum Setup Notes
1798 16 2017-12-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

So. Charged Battery & RC.
Attempted to do a wired Firmware update using Assistant2 ( v. 1.1.6 on a fast MB Pro, OS X Sierra latest). Assistant ran fine on my Mac, but after I logged in, no 'GND for Mavic Pro' device icon showed up at upper left, for either the controller or the A/C, so I was not able to do that. Don't have the Mini 4 in hand yet, so I used GO 4 on my iPhone (5s running iOS 10.3.1), and after some fiddling to get properly logged in and activated, was able to get the update completed (.4000 and GO 4 .20) successfully, altho I had to go outside (28F) to get clear of some mag interference inside. Got everything up and running properly, altho my iPhone is too old and slow to render live video, but I was able to navigate the app fine and playback good video from the card. Everything seemed to work (to the extent of my current knowledge...).

No flying. I'm old, but not that bold (you know what they say about old, bold pilots...). The app seemed to run just fine on iOS 10.3.1 except for the live vid. The Mini 4 should sort that.

Will work on learning the interface (beyond the zillions of viddies I've watched) and get some settings that seem good for starters in Beginner Mode.

So far, so good.
2017-12-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Congrats Eddie! Glad that you received the drone now. For connecting the drone with DJI Assistant 2, please first use a USB cable for connecting and ensure that you had powered on the drone. And it still has no connection, you can try to remove the application and reinstall the DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.6 from the official website. Hope it helps.
2017-12-27
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have fun flying, what a great bird.
2017-12-27
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-27 21:06
Congrats Eddie! Glad that you received the drone now. For connecting the drone with DJI Assistant 2, please first use a USB cable for connecting and ensure that you had powered on the drone. And it still has no connection, you can try to remove the application and reinstall the DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.6 from the official website. Hope it helps.

"powered on the drone..."   D'OH!!!!

I don't recall if I powered on the device (either A/C or RC), but I doubt that I did, as the first time I pushed the power button(s) was when I used the iPhone 5s to do the FW updates.

So thanks  

Another important question: The iPad Mini 4 I'm getting (today, hopefully) is WiFi only, not cellular. I've seen other people using such a Mini, but is lack of cellular going to severely limit my use of the Mavic? Must I always fly with the drone in WiFi Mode (switch by the HD Card location on the body)? Is it possible to configure the WiFi Mini 4 to get all the 'usual' Mavic flight features? I didn't want to deal with another data plan (AT&T for me), but I'll replace this Mini 4 with a cellular model if it's limiting.

E
2017-12-28
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

eddieNoob Posted at 2017-12-28 01:49
"powered on the drone..."   D'OH!!!!

I don't recall if I powered on the device (either A/C or RC), but I doubt that I did, as the first time I pushed the power button(s) was when I used the iPhone 5s to do the FW updates.

I use a Mini 4 Wifi only, just connect it to your mobile phones hotspot before you take off to grab the maps, I don't really need it after that. Works fine.
2017-12-28
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-28 02:14
I use a Mini 4 Wifi only, just connect it to your mobile phones hotspot before you take off to grab the maps, I don't really need it after that. Works fine.

Thanks QuadKid, I've seen that notion before in my researching, just need to actually figger out how to do it now.   'o)
2017-12-28
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-12-28 02:14
I use a Mini 4 Wifi only, just connect it to your mobile phones hotspot before you take off to grab the maps, I don't really need it after that. Works fine.

OK. I think I've got the hotspot part figgered (WiFi or Bluetooth), just not sure about the grabbing the maps part. I reckon I do this on the flying location, eh? Where do I grab what when I get there?  'o)

[btw: fwiw, i fired up my rig ('Platty') again this morn, to look at some GO 4 settings and whatnot, and got the compass calibrated, got GPS, and the phone rendered the live video just fine this time...moving forward.]
2017-12-28
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

eddieNoob Posted at 2017-12-28 06:20
Thanks QuadKid, I've seen that notion before in my researching, just need to actually figger out how to do it now.   'o)

Just go to wifi in settings on the Mini, turn your mobile hotspot on (it should show you the password) the MIni should see the hotspot, connect to the phones hotspot on the Mini enter password tap connect, once connected to your hot spot make sure you are signed in with location on and it will automatically d/load local maps.
2017-12-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Congrats and enjoy!
2017-12-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

eddieNoob Posted at 2017-12-28 01:49
"powered on the drone..."   D'OH!!!!

I don't recall if I powered on the device (either A/C or RC), but I doubt that I did, as the first time I pushed the power button(s) was when I used the iPhone 5s to do the FW updates.

No worries, you can fly the drone without internet connecting. In iPad mini 4, other functions in flight will work properly except Follow Me and fresh the current RC position as the new Homepoint coz it doesn't have GPS module in it. And please note that you need to log in your account on the app first if you download the app for the first time, after that, you don't need to log in again.
There is also a long way to learn, practice more and I believe you'll be skilful. And should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We'd glad to help.
2017-12-29
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-12-29 03:05
No worries, you can fly the drone without internet connecting. In iPad mini 4, other functions in flight will work properly except Follow Me and fresh the current RC position as the new Homepoint coz it doesn't have GPS module in it. And please note that you need to log in your account on the app first if you download the app for the first time, after that, you don't need to log in again.
There is also a long way to learn, practice more and I believe you'll be skilful. And should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We'd glad to help.

Thank you, Thor. I am working the GO 4 interface, and powering (not flying yet) the Mavic on a table in my backyard, using my old iPhone 5s (10.3) to operate it, and all is going well. Makes sense that I know what I'm doing with the app before I take to the air: trying ND filters and camera settings, focus, yadda-yadda.
I like to be thorough, so at least my old brain can enjoy the ride more instead of freaking out.

Understand about the minor limitations of no cellular, and that's fine. The Mini 4 should arrive today, and I have a dandy MavMount rig for it for the RC. Life goes on.   
2017-12-29
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

Another log in the road: It appears that the Mini 4 I ordered (AMZN) never was received by USPS in Trenton, NJ 6 days ago. So I called Amzn Cstr Svc and got a refund on the order, then placed another order (Mini & PolarPro ND32). Will arrive (supposedly) on 3 Jan ('guaranteed'). I can't really fly with my iPhone, as the system gobbles its aging battery. I can still do some poking around in the app.
The possible (but unlikely) better news is that, if it ever does show up, I can keep the original order AND the money I got refunded for it.

So. It is what it is.

2017-12-29
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

eddieNoob Posted at 2017-12-29 16:02
Another log in the road: It appears that the Mini 4 I ordered (AMZN) never was received by USPS in Trenton, NJ 6 days ago. So I called Amzn Cstr Svc and got a refund on the order, then placed another order (Mini & PolarPro ND32). Will arrive (supposedly) on 3 Jan ('guaranteed'). I can't really fly with my iPhone, as the system gobbles its aging battery. I can still do some poking around in the app.
The possible (but unlikely) better news is that, if it ever does show up, I can keep the original order AND the money I got refunded for it.

Since I don't have my Mini 4 in hand (just as well..), I want to put in some simulator time. I have set up for the simulator (removed props, started RC, then A/C, then GO app). The RC shows 'Connected, Ready to Go, in GPS mode, but when I go to Academy in the Go app, and click Enter on Flight Simulator, I get : "Cannot Enter Simulator  Disconnected with the aircraft. It cannot enter Simulator Mode. Check connect".
The RC and A/C seem to be connected. I can even inmate the motors, and they run and stop when commanded. What to do?
Edit: It seems that the GO APP is not connected to the A/C. Will look into that.
Edit 2: Never mind, I seem to've figgered it. Shut down and restarted A/C and RC with app running and USB connected. All connected. Now in Sim.

Simulator: Very useful enterprise.  
2017-12-30
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

OK, then. Next leg of the journey: I've got the Mini 4 all set up, and've powered on the system several times (always got GPS Ready) and worked through the GO 4 settings several times, camera looking out a window.
That all seems good. So I took it out into the street (even made a nice "H" landing pad out of a collapsed cardboard box), fired it up and did an Auto takeoff and hovered about a bit, then landed.
Problem: After the landing I got a 'downward sensors error' warning, and it asked me to calibrate the downward sensors, which I dutifully did, moving the machine in a virtual vertical square pattern in front of my body, but it never did complete the calibration successfully, getting some blue in the progress bar, but then going red and complaining about the ground surface. I tried asphalt, cement, even grass, in good light, and no go. Pain in the tuchus. Everything else seems to work so far.
I even looked for possible clear stickers on the four sensor openings, but nada.

Any suggestions?

[i must, say: it was big fun to see it snarl up into the air, even in Auto Takeoff mode. One thing to watch a zillion viddies, another to see the real thing. 'o) ]
2018-1-1
Use props
CalvinC
Captain
Flight distance : 1267831 ft
United States

You need to perform the calibration via DJI Assistant 2 on the computer.
2018-1-1
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

CalvinC Posted at 2018-1-1 14:27
You need to perform the calibration via DJI Assistant 2 on the computer.

Thanks, CalvinC, I'll try that.
2018-1-1
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
United States

Started the system up again, indoors (no further calibration attempted) to see what would happen, and got all green (GPS Ready) and A/C Status showed sensors 'normal', so I took it back to the street and did Auto TakeOff and Land, Manual TakeOff and Land, flew up and down a bit; landed some more. Did an RTH (a bit alarming when it zips up to correct altitude...forgot about that), and all good.

It did not seem to waver or spin in hover, just stayed put, and I got no flak from the GO 4 screen during the flying. On all the landings, it dropped to the correct low hover, hesitated, and landed as it should've.

Remarkably quiet thing, innit.
2018-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules