2254 17 2015-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for posting a Phantom 2V+ video here, but my replacement Inspire did not arrive until three days after I left on the trip.

In hindsight, I'm glad it didn't arrive on time. I had my Phantom in a hard case with a TSA lock on it and checked it as baggage as I already had a bunch of camera gear in carry on packs. When I arrived in Guatemala, the TSA lock was gone and they had rifled thoroughly through my Phantom. The gimbal lock had been removed and stuff had been rearranged among the foam pockets. When I returned, the same happened. The gimbal lock had again been removed and the Phantom was shoved back into the box backwards. It seems to have survived the trip without injury, but I'm glad it was the Phantom and not the Inspire that was treated that way. Nevertheless, here's the video I shot while traveling around Guatemala. Enjoy!

2015-4-19
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Very nice Abe, those are some beautiful places for sure.
Glad you didn't bring your spire, (she doesn't like getting felt up).

Bob
2015-4-19
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-20 03:58
Very nice Abe, those are some beautiful places for sure.
Glad you didn't bring your spire, (she d ...

Haha, Bob. Indeed! I'd rather not have baggage handlers pawing at my Inspire!
2015-4-19
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

Very nice Abe, good job.

I love Guatemala, and am headed there in July.  Beautiful place, and friendly people.

I see the people in Antigua were curious about the P2.  Did you have any issues with people or permission to fly there?  They don't seem as uptight as some countries -- but I haven't flown there yet.

-Mike
2015-4-19
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MJDMike Posted at 2015-4-20 04:17
Very nice Abe, good job.

I love Guatemala, and am headed there in July.  Beautiful place, and frien ...

Mike,

I was there during Easter and there were big crowds, particularly in Antigua. So I waited until Sunday evening when they mostly cleared out and had no problems with locals or law enforcement. The locals were actually great. Very friendly and in a state of wonder. The kids in particular flocked around me and thought they were seeing pure magic. It was a lot of fun. Have a great trip! Just follow common sense as I know you always do and you'll be fine.

--Abe
2015-4-19
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-4-20 04:42
Mike,

I was there during Easter and there were big crowds, particularly in Antigua. So I waited u ...

Great, thanks for the info.  Looks like you had a great trip.  Did you make it to Santiago, on the other side of Lake Atlitlan?  That's an interesting little town.

I'm hoping to be in Antigua next year Semana Santa.  I've never seen it, but I'm sure it's a special experience.
2015-4-19
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Never made it to the other side of Atitlan, Mike. I've heard it's a bit on the wild side, though :-)

Semana Santa is a great time to be in Antigua. Especially for photography. You'll love it.
2015-4-19
Use props
MJDMike
lvl.3

United States

Abe Posted at 2015-4-20 07:43
Never made it to the other side of Atitlan, Mike. I've heard it's a bit on the wild side, though :-) ...

It wasn't too wild, from what we saw, but it's definitely less 'touristy' than the larger cities.  It's populated almost entirely with indigenous Maya, so the vibe is different.

We hired a local to take us to see the shrine of Maximón -- definitely a unique experience.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a UAS, so no aerials from that trip.  Next time though...
2015-4-20
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice Abe, thanks for sharing.
2015-4-20
Use props
steve
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2261073 ft
United States

Hi Folks, I was in Guatemala during Easter with an Inspire1 I definitely recommend the trip! I Pre Checked the inspire with TSA and had it wrapped and checked the day before and it was never opened or messed with on the flight down and back. I visited all areas of the country from the Volcanos of Pacaya and Fuego, Tikal National Park, Port of San Jose, Panajachel, Santiago Atilan, Guatemala City, Flores, and Antigua. All the locals were fantastic and they are all different from each part of the country, the local police were friendly, curious, and courteous the only place I could not fly was the Grand Plaza at the Tikal National Park however I was granted permission to fly early at other sites of the park with out disturbing others. There will be video coming soon on my page but there are some pics there now. I would love to find the other inspire pilot who was in Antigua the same time I was 3/30 - 4/12. I am going back as soon as I can to see the sights I missed but this country needs to be a must do on anyones bucket list.

My Sky Pixel Page
2015-5-2
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

steve@air4.us Posted at 2015-5-2 23:03
Hi Folks, I was in Guatemala during Easter with an Inspire1 I definitely recommend the trip! I Pre C ...

Beautifully photos, Steve. You and I were there at about the same time - I was there 4/3 to 4/10. My flight over Antigua was on Easter Sunday 4/5, but I was flying a Phantom. Looking forward to seeing your video.
2015-5-2
Use props
steve
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2261073 ft
United States

Abe Posted at 2015-5-3 01:55
Beautifully photos, Steve. You and I were there at about the same time - I was there 4/3 to 4/10.  ...

Thanks I went to Tikal Easter Sunday the Crowds were huge on Good Friday or Semana Santa so I skipped out but it was one of my best vacations especially with out all the tourist traps
2015-5-2
Use props
fansf3d3b873
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12887 ft
Guatemala

steve@air4.us Posted at 2015-5-2 07:03
Hi Folks, I was in Guatemala during Easter with an Inspire1 I definitely recommend the trip! I Pre Checked the inspire with TSA and had it wrapped and checked the day before and it was never opened or messed with on the flight down and back. I visited all areas of the country from the Volcanos of Pacaya and Fuego, Tikal National Park, Port of San Jose, Panajachel, Santiago Atilan, Guatemala City, Flores, and Antigua. All the locals were fantastic and they are all different from each part of the country, the local police were friendly, curious, and courteous the only place I could not fly was the Grand Plaza at the Tikal National Park however I was granted permission to fly early at other sites of the park with out disturbing others. There will be video coming soon on my page but there are some pics there now. I would love to find the other inspire pilot who was in Antigua the same time I was 3/30 - 4/12. I am going back as soon as I can to see the sights I missed but this country needs to be a must do on anyones bucket list.

My Sky Pixel Page

Hey Steve I’m glad you enjoyed visiting Guatemala. Just a quick question: who and where did you asked permission to fly?

Even us Guatemalans don’t know where to request permission and who shall we talk to.
2018-10-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent vid - thanks for posting   
2018-10-29
Use props
Woe
Captain