Drone regulations Sri Lanka
8164 12 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chiplifter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

I am planning a trip to Sri Lanka and would like to bring my Mavic Pro, and 'Googled' for drone regulations. It seems, a of january 2017, all drones must be registered at CAA and you also need permit from local police stations where you want to fly.
Anyone gone through this (complicated looking) process or has aditional information or tips?

2017-12-28
Use props
Krishan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94744 ft
Sri Lanka

Here More Info
http://www.caa.lk/index.php?opti ... =731&Itemid=685
2017-12-28
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Netherlands

Krishan Posted at 2017-12-28 04:53
Here More Info
http://www.caa.lk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=731&Itemid=685

Thank Krishan, I will look into this. Did you go through this procedure?
2017-12-28
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

chiplifter Posted at 2017-12-28 07:05
Thank Krishan, I will look into this. Did you go through this procedure?

Worth noting that your application has to be by Fax! They will ignore emails and one of them bounces back. I gave up in the end!
2017-12-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like a headache to me! Good luck seeing it through
2017-12-31
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Netherlands

Buzzyone Posted at 2017-12-31 03:50
Worth noting that your application has to be by Fax! They will ignore emails and one of them bounces back. I gave up in the end!

Well thanks, I'll dive into it this week.
2018-1-1
Use props
daniel780811
lvl.3
Flight distance : 607766 ft
Hungary

chiplifter Posted at 2018-1-1 04:16
Well thanks, I'll dive into it this week.

As I wrote in an other topic I was in Sri Lanka in this January. I didn't make any registration. I just went there with the bird in my luggage. I was using it for 15 days w/o any problem exepty the last day when I used it near to a navy base but outside of safe zones. The locals pushed me to land and turn off the drone. I was flying a few times in fron of police men who just came to me to see the screen of the tab.
Maybe I was just lucky but this is my experience in Sri Lanka. I wanted to share it with everybody who was participate in this conversation.
2018-3-28
Use props
themiyao
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29386 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Well, on my last trip I was able to get permission and had to pay somewhere around Rs:6500/-. All I had to do email them and they replied to me with lots of details. Its like I  am taking off a rocket.
But this time I emailed them again filling up the form and no one got back to me.

I think the point is Drones aren't illegal in Sri Lanka. You just have to fly safely and know where to fly and where not to. Be responsible. That help the drone community and government wont strict the current regulations.
2018-4-8
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Sri Lanka

themiyao Posted at 2018-4-8 08:41
Well, on my last trip I was able to get permission and had to pay somewhere around Rs:6500/-. All I had to do email them and they replied to me with lots of details. Its like I  am taking off a rocket.
But this time I emailed them again filling up the form and no one got back to me.

I was not able to get through the burocracy and register, but stil decided to bring my Mavic. I am now in Sri Lanka and ask local security if I can fly my  Mavic.  No problems until now and flying common sense (not over crowds, inside city area). Last two days to much wind to fly ;-).
2018-4-8
Use props
chiplifter
lvl.4
Sri Lanka

daniel780811 Posted at 2018-3-28 06:30
As I wrote in an other topic I was in Sri Lanka in this January. I didn't make any registration. I just went there with the bird in my luggage. I was using it for 15 days w/o any problem exepty the last day when I used it near to a navy base but outside of safe zones. The locals pushed me to land and turn off the drone. I was flying a few times in fron of police men who just came to me to see the screen of the tab.
Maybe I was just lucky but this is my experience in Sri Lanka. I wanted to share it with everybody who was participate in this conversation.

Yesterday I would like to do some dronevideo in Galle-port (old dutch fort in the south of Sri Lanka). Inside the fort was a navy base with military and.police guards. I walked up to them and showed my Mavic and politely asked if I was allowed to fly around the fort. Their response: Have fun sir, happy flying!

After some flights I got nasty gimbal shakes and lost connection issues with my phone, so I decided to bring the mavic down and stop flying, would not be involved in an accident or fly away.
2018-4-11
Use props
umadbrv
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I know I'm replying to an old post but Sri Lanka it's getting a bit strict with drones yet you can still fly it without going through any formalities. After-all it's Sri Lanka, you guys are there to enjoy and we love seeing our beautiful country on youtube because the ticket cost too much
2018-5-16
Use props
Rivi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74521 ft
United Arab Emirates

The rules were revised after someone crashed a drone on to a historical monument.  This buddhist monument is over 2000 years old hence caused a lot of panic in the country which is understandable.   If the civil aviation follows through on a clear process for bona-fide visitors to follow it would be great.
2018-6-18
Use props
kavish0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 606969 ft
Sri Lanka

Rivi Posted at 2018-6-18 08:13
The rules were revised after someone crashed a drone on to a historical monument.  This buddhist monument is over 2000 years old hence caused a lot of panic in the country which is understandable.   If the civil aviation follows through on a clear process for bona-fide visitors to follow it would be great.

Dropping my latest blog post here hopping it will help anybody who is planning to visit Sri Lanka
Contact me on Instagram and Facebook @Letmedronelk | mail: letmedronelk@gmail.com.
https://techikid.wordpress.com/2 ... ation-in-sri-lanka/
2018-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules