Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P random gimbal freak out (video)
798 18 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shoot It WA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3576476 ft
Australia

Hi guys, I have this re-occuring issue where the gimbal will randomly tilt sideways every now and then. It happened the very first time I flew the drone and freaked me out, I was watching the screen and thought the drone had been hit by something and was falling out of the sky, looked up and it was flying just fine.
Since then its happend three more times, only twice while recording, on each occasion I was flying sideways.
I always fly with the latest firmware, any ideas what would cause this?

2017-12-28
Use props
Wingshooter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you done a Gimbal Calibration recently?
2017-12-28
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

I got the same thing on a P4 running the latest BETA
2017-12-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not good - try calibrating the gimbal and reset the camera.
2017-12-28
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Dont bother calibrating the gimbal it doesnt help or for that matter any calibrations at all .
The problem is in the firmware eventually dji will come up with a fix for it i hope.
Im trying out the beta version of firmware to try and fix mine its doing the same thing at random times.
You could try the beta firmware as well but at this stage im not sure it has fixed mine as the fault is random
2017-12-28
Use props
Shoot It WA
Second Officer
Australia

Wingshooter Posted at 2017-12-28 08:19
Have you done a Gimbal Calibration recently?

I did a calibration the second time it happened, haven't done it again since.
2017-12-28
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

Shoot It WA Posted at 2017-12-28 15:31
I did a calibration the second time it happened, haven't done it again since.

interesting, thats weird its doing that. Did you have the latest FW?
2017-12-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That made me laugh out, it was the sound effects, sorry for the issues mind, hope you get it fixed soon
2017-12-28
Use props
Shoot It WA
Second Officer
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-28 23:02
That made me laugh out, it was the sound effects, sorry for the issues mind, hope you get it fixed soon

Glad you got a laugh, thought I'd make it a bit more interesting than just the plain footage
2017-12-29
Use props
Cinefilms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118829 ft
Dominican Republic

I got the same problem about 6 months ago. It's a firmware issue. Response i got from DJI was to send the drone for repairs...which is usually the answer i get from them. That's actually the same firmware that got the ISO stuck at 500. I will get you the link to the posts i made on this.
2017-12-29
Use props
Cinefilms
Second Officer
Dominican Republic

https://forum.dji.com/thread-106926-1-1.html
2017-12-29
Use props
Shoot It WA
Second Officer
Australia

Cinefilms Posted at 2017-12-29 03:50
https://forum.dji.com/thread-106926-1-1.html

Hmmm interesting read, doesn't look like you ended up resolving your issue though? I just updated to the latest firmware (01.05.0300) going for a fly later today hopefully it is just a firmware issue and doesn't persist.
2017-12-31
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Shoot It WA -
There is nothing wrong with your gimbal. Nor is this sudden severe gimbal tilt an issue with the latest firmware. It’s been a fact of life with the P4P since it was released. The gimbal motor on the P4P is simply not powerful enough to overcome all possible forces exerted on the P4P camera in certain flying situations. In particular, it is susceptible to gimbal motor overload resulting in abrupt sideways gimbal tilt due to winds above 15 mph coming from the side of the aircraft or g-forces during left banking turns while the aircraft is flying near full speed forward. In addition, and much more rarely, the gimbal can suddenly tilt to the side when the gimbal is pointed straight down and the aircraft is flying near full speed forward into a strong headwind. While this is a PITA, you eventually learn to minimize these occurrences during shoots and edit out the times you can’t avoid it.  Remember that wind speeds aloft can be significantly higher than wind speeds at ground level.  Typically, when this happens, I just reduce my aircraft speed by a few mph or alter my flight path slightly.
2018-1-1
Use props
Cinefilms
Second Officer
Dominican Republic

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-1-1 12:01
Shoot It WA -
There is nothing wrong with your gimbal. Nor is this sudden severe gimbal tilt an issue with the latest firmware. It’s been a fact of life with the P4P since it was released. The gimbal motor on the P4P is simply not powerful enough to overcome all possible forces exerted on the P4P camera in certain flying situations. In particular, it is susceptible to gimbal motor overload resulting in abrupt sideways gimbal tilt due to winds above 15 mph coming from the side of the aircraft or g-forces during left banking turns while the aircraft is flying near full speed forward. In addition, and much more rarely, the gimbal can suddenly tilt to the side when the gimbal is pointed straight down and the aircraft is flying near full speed forward into a strong headwind. While this is a PITA, you eventually learn to minimize these occurrences during shoots and edit out the times you can’t avoid it.  Remember that wind speeds aloft can be significantly higher than wind speeds at ground level.  Typically, when this happens, I just reduce my aircraft speed by a few mph or alter my flight path slightly.

uhmmmm....no. it's a firmware issue and it has been already reported. Back in 2016 when it was launched many tests were done and no issues were detected with gimbal....plase check this video link here were drone was test on heavy winds and top speed.

2018-1-1
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cinefilms Posted at 2018-1-1 12:48
uhmmmm....no. it's a firmware issue and it has been already reported. Back in 2016 when it was launched many tests were done and no issues were detected with gimbal....plase check this video link here were drone was test on heavy winds and top speed.

Cinefilms -

I respectfully disagree. See MY post from June 2017 testing the then latest P4P firmware (version 01.04.0602 released on 09JUN2017) which totally resolved the gimbal tilt (tilted horizon) issue for me BUT I noted the “gimball rollover” issue under specific flying conditions.  The “gimbal rollover” issue has never been totally eliminated through all the firmware revisions since June 2017.  As I said, I have learned to fly in a manner that avoids these rollovers, but I suspect this is a basic limitation in the gimbal motor capability and will never be totally eliminated. I’m hoping the Phantom 5 has a more robust gimbal motor when it is released.

P4P Firmware Test Results re Gimbal Tilt and Gimbal Rollover
2018-1-1
Use props
Shoot It WA
Second Officer
Australia

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-1-1 12:01
Shoot It WA -
There is nothing wrong with your gimbal. Nor is this sudden severe gimbal tilt an issue with the latest firmware. It’s been a fact of life with the P4P since it was released. The gimbal motor on the P4P is simply not powerful enough to overcome all possible forces exerted on the P4P camera in certain flying situations. In particular, it is susceptible to gimbal motor overload resulting in abrupt sideways gimbal tilt due to winds above 15 mph coming from the side of the aircraft or g-forces during left banking turns while the aircraft is flying near full speed forward. In addition, and much more rarely, the gimbal can suddenly tilt to the side when the gimbal is pointed straight down and the aircraft is flying near full speed forward into a strong headwind. While this is a PITA, you eventually learn to minimize these occurrences during shoots and edit out the times you can’t avoid it.  Remember that wind speeds aloft can be significantly higher than wind speeds at ground level.  Typically, when this happens, I just reduce my aircraft speed by a few mph or alter my flight path slightly.

I think you might be right about the wind, I just checked back and I was getting strong wind warnings around the times when it did the sudden movements. Flying sideways into strong or gusty wind seems like it could probably be the culprit.
I've never had that issue with my Mavic and I've flown that in some seriously bad weather but I guess thats because the P4P camera has a much greater surface area than the Mavic's.
2018-1-1
Use props
Cinefilms
Second Officer
Dominican Republic

Question....when you got you P4P out of the box....did it make those gimbal rolls?....or did those rolls started jost after you updated firmware?

In my case, all started as soon i made the firmware update. Not only that, iso got stuck at 500 in d-log mode, 1080 video sucks, plus a lits of other issues.
2018-1-1
Use props
Shoot It WA
Second Officer
Australia

Cinefilms Posted at 2018-1-1 12:48
uhmmmm....no. it's a firmware issue and it has been already reported. Back in 2016 when it was launched many tests were done and no issues were detected with gimbal....plase check this video link here were drone was test on heavy winds and top speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JTN2yXTluM

Its a good test but they didn't fly it sideways into the wind, I think thats where I'm getting the problem. It's a bit annoying but I don't think its a dealbreaker for this drone.
I was also getting this warning in Chinese coming up on my Crystalsky I don't think its related and I have no idea why it's in Chinese? I was going to start a new topic over in accessories.
2018-1-1
Use props
Shoot It WA
Second Officer
Australia

Cinefilms Posted at 2018-1-1 17:14
Question....when you got you P4P out of the box....did it make those gimbal rolls?....or did those rolls started jost after you updated firmware?

In my case, all started as soon i made the firmware update. Not only that, iso got stuck at 500 in d-log mode, 1080 video sucks, plus a lits of other issues.

I got it about a month or two ago and updated firmware before I flew it the first time so it would have been running the firmware that came before 01.05.0300 at that time.
My iso is also locked at 500 which is pretty annoying, I mostly use d-cinelike now to compensate. I havent tried filming anything in 1080.
2018-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules