979 10 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is about a 10 minute video so watch when you have time.

The Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon was on Sat. June 11th, 2017 and was a very fun event.  The downfall of this years tri was that the waters were too rough and the Coast Guard called off the swim from Alcatraz (the swimmers jump off the boat that is next to the island).  Most of the athlete's were disappointed and emotional as some were happy they did not have to swim the cold waters.  I used DJI Mavic Pro and DJI Osmo for the video's and photo's and edited in DaVinci Resolve.

PLEASE let me know your thoughs on this.  This edit was out of my comfort zone (interview type video) and the longest one I have done so far.  If you get board with it, please let me know and why.  Allways looking for constructive criticism.

2017-12-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, impressive work! Very nice

Some thoughts from my side. (opinion, of course)
- The drone footage does not match the other footage colorwise. Not sure if you shot DLog, but with that and a 'lut' you 'should' be able to match them better, although the lighting does change.
- Sometimes the Osmo footage is out of focus. (like at 9:10 etc.)
- Some pans with the Osmo are too fast or not smooth (7:09, 9:38)
- Some transitions are not so well planned on the music. (like at 5:06, very abrubt and 7:17 beats do not match)
- I prefer to cut on the first beat only (when using music), so for example 8:07 is off the first beat. (like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4)

But overall very nice work!
2017-12-28
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting video. I'd like to visit Alcatraz sometime. I've been to SF about half a dozen times and every time the tour boats have been closed due to rough waters. Is the guy that hides behind a tree branch and jumps out at people still there?
2017-12-28
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-12-28 07:12
Wow, impressive work! Very nice

Some thoughts from my side. (opinion, of course)

Montfrooij,  Thanks, this help for future video's to make.  I'll look at each time line you picked out and see it from your point of view.  I did not shot in DLog, but next time I will because I have been told and shown that it is better for color correction in editing.  It was hard to correct for some of the items that you noted.  

The Osmo is VERY difficult to keep in focus and to make a quick focus on a subject that becomes with in the frame and starting to regret my Osmo purchase because of that.  Yes, slower on the pans...I think I go slow but the footage says differently.  Even slower and I'm hoping to dial that in.

I'll keep the music in mind for next edit on the beats and totally makes sense.

Thanks for watching and giving feedback.
2017-12-28
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-12-28 09:44
Interesting video. I'd like to visit Alcatraz sometime. I've been to SF about half a dozen times and every time the tour boats have been closed due to rough waters. Is the guy that hides behind a tree branch and jumps out at people still there?

Thanks. Alcatraz is pretty cool...don't know about the guy behind the tree...was not there when we were visiting.
2017-12-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ProQuad Posted at 2017-12-28 11:24
Montfrooij,  Thanks, this help for future video's to make.  I'll look at each time line you picked out and see it from your point of view.  I did not shot in DLog, but next time I will because I have been told and shown that it is better for color correction in editing.  It was hard to correct for some of the items that you noted.  

The Osmo is VERY difficult to keep in focus and to make a quick focus on a subject that becomes with in the frame and starting to regret my Osmo purchase because of that.  Yes, slower on the pans...I think I go slow but the footage says differently.  Even slower and I'm hoping to dial that in.

You're welcome.
I can imagine about the Osmo and the focus.
Larger sensor....
2017-12-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice footage. Interesting place to film too.
2017-12-28
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I found it to be a very well planned video.  Great job on that.  While your flying was great, I agree with Monty on the color.  As for the Osmo, yes, you lost the subject in frame a couple of times and focus was off quite noticeably in places.  I have an Osmo Mobile and do not have that problem.  I guess the iPhone camera is more responsive.  Also, you can use active track to get your subject "locked in" so that the Osmo follows her with no effort on your part.  When not using that feature, I find that controlling the Osmo using my little finger as the "control" works well.  I follow my subject left/right/up/down with my little finger and just wait for the Osmo to follow it.  Stated differently, imagine a small arrow sticking out of the base of your Osmo handle and just keep that pointed at the subject.  Lastly, it works best if you're not too close to the subject.  You'll have more time and screen width to stay on your subject.   You can always zoom in during post production.  I haven't done much with "sport mode" on my Osmo, but that's another tool that's available and might have proved useful for you.
2017-12-28
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Nice work!!! tks 4 sharing!
2017-12-28
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-12-28 17:31
I found it to be a very well planned video.  Great job on that.  While your flying was great, I agree with Monty on the color.  As for the Osmo, yes, you lost the subject in frame a couple of times and focus was off quite noticeably in places.  I have an Osmo Mobile and do not have that problem.  I guess the iPhone camera is more responsive.  Also, you can use active track to get your subject "locked in" so that the Osmo follows her with no effort on your part.  When not using that feature, I find that controlling the Osmo using my little finger as the "control" works well.  I follow my subject left/right/up/down with my little finger and just wait for the Osmo to follow it.  Stated differently, imagine a small arrow sticking out of the base of your Osmo handle and just keep that pointed at the subject.  Lastly, it works best if you're not too close to the subject.  You'll have more time and screen width to stay on your subject.   You can always zoom in during post production.  I haven't done much with "sport mode" on my Osmo, but that's another tool that's available and might have proved useful for you.

Perfect.  Thank you for watching and giving out some tips.  My wife (the main character) got a little emotional when watch it.  She liked it a lot and asked me to share it with some of her friends...so I guess overall, I did a good job, BUT, totally needs tweaking on pre/post edit as well as better planing on the filming side.  Thanks again.
2017-12-30
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2017-12-28 14:33
Very nice footage. Interesting place to film too.

A CW,  Thanks for watching...I know its 10 min and that is awesome that you like it.  Thanks again
2017-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules