Serious I2's design flaw - WHY DJI don't do anything?
12Next >
9405 72 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
unstoppable
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1039029 ft
Taiwan

Hello,

I am new to the forum but not new to DJI products. Most of us are fairly aware of the serious design flaw in Inspire 2 - the motor leg falling off the gear in mid-flight due to weak glue.

This issue has been acknowledged by the I2 community for a long time. As far as I am concerned, DJI did not recall those faulty units, neither released any official statement regarding that matter.

And this is what disturbs me the most - a serious design flaw and if Inspire falls out of the sky onto someone's head and kills them DJI consider that's okay by their QC? Do we need to wait for a real accident to happen, which, btw is a matter of WHEN, not IF for DJI to finally do something about this? Why nothing has been done?

Here are few videos on Youtube that shows I2's leg falling off mid-flight, causing the drone to start spinning and crash:

2017-12-28
Use props
unstoppable
lvl.2
Taiwan

It's not clear to me how to edit the post here (admins please when you see it move it to my initial post):
2017-12-28
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

The first one we have all seen, DJI included and it would suggest that a motor had come loose but the second one is proof of nothing, to me, it looks like a possible bird strike and is just as likely, what exactly is your point here? You seem to have found a video on Youtube that shows a motor coming loose, DJI has accepted this, it's old news, move on, surely you would be better off on the Firmware Conspiracy Boat?

Mark G.
2017-12-28
Use props
unstoppable
lvl.2
Taiwan

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-28 10:35
The first one we have all seen, DJI included and it would suggest that a motor had come loose but the second one is proof of nothing, to me, it looks like a possible bird strike and is just as likely, what exactly is your point here? You seem to have found a video on Youtube that shows a motor coming loose, DJI has accepted this, it's old news, move on, surely you would be better off on the Firmware Conspiracy Boat?

Mark G.

Hey Mark,

What "conspiracy"? It's a well known design flaw.

I am not sure do you realize there were plenty of cases with exact same issue - I am a member on few Facebook groups and I saw this exact thing over and over at least 20 times. I linked only 2 videos but there is plenty of proof out there - google it, because these are not exceptions. The most worrisome part is, that this can happen to you at any time - you might do a 100 hours of flightime and then boom, all of the sudden the glue loosen up, so no, it's not like you will know about it the moment you purchase it.

Regarding the second video - if you look carefully, you can read in the comments under the video that author stated when he found Inspire 2, one of the motors was not attached (and this wasn't due to a a drone hitting the ground).

Those units should be recalled and replaced. Not sure how many accidents needs to happen before DJI take a proper action.
2017-12-28
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Jersey

unstoppable Posted at 2017-12-28 11:47
Hey Mark,

What "conspiracy"? It's a well known design flaw.

As I have already said, this is old news, DJI knows about this and it has been addressed. I am also a member of the Facebook groups and have too, seen the posts and comments and I was also one of the first to report this to DJI, I have also posted several videos (including the one you posted) pointing out the problem which DJI have responded to. Whilst everyone else has put this matter to bed, perhaps you are on a different shift and have only just woken up, in which case, may I wish you a good morning, help yourself to coffee, the kettle has just boiled.

Mark G.
2017-12-28
Use props
unstoppable
lvl.2
Taiwan

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-28 12:14
As I have already said, this is old news, DJI knows about this and it has been addressed. I am also a member of the Facebook groups and have too, seen the posts and comments and I was also one of the first to report this to DJI, I have also posted several videos (including the one you posted) pointing out the problem which DJI have responded to. Whilst everyone else has put this matter to bed, perhaps you are on a different shift and have only just woken up, in which case, may I wish you a good morning, help yourself to coffee, the kettle has just boiled.

Mark G.

What "bed" Mark? Did you note the date of the second video? It happened 2 months ago. "Old" news for you maybe but this is another new case again and someone is going to get hurt soon.

How did the address the issue? I picked up my Inspire 2 from the store and since that day, no one contacted me regarding this - the accident is waiting to happen.

Please do let me know what has been done in this matter.

Because as far as I am concerned, based on my experience I can tell you how they "addressed" the issue - they didn't at all. We, users had to address it ourselves going to some dodgy DIY solutions, that btw might void the warranty. And that's only if you were aware of the issue - there is a lot of folks out there who bought I2 and they don't even know about this.
2017-12-28
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

unstoppable Posted at 2017-12-28 12:41
What "bed" Mark? Did you note the date of the second video? It happened 2 months ago. "Old" news for you maybe but this is another new case again and someone is going to get hurt soon.

How did the address the issue? I picked up my Inspire 2 from the store and since that day, no one contacted me regarding this - the accident is waiting to happen.

Mark,

First of all I  wish you and your Family all the very best on this up coming New Year,  As I am reading and getting highly concerned no that my Inspire 2 is now not covered by DJI Refresh Care.

Can you please explain the Corrections that DJI had made on Manufacturing the Inspire 2 motor to Carbon Fiber Boom securing .    Or is there any After market proven Fixes?

Best Reagards

Neil
2017-12-28
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Jersey

unstoppable Posted at 2017-12-28 12:41

How did the address the issue? I picked up my Inspire 2 from the store and since that day, no one contacted me regarding this - the accident is waiting to happen.

You seem to believe that you know a lot about this technology, yet you have clearly only just woken up to what was going on "2 months ago", yes, this is old news, you are reposting videos that have already, not only been posted but have been dealt with, reposting old posts etc. This issue is not only old news but you being angry about the fact that you do not keep yourself up to date is not a concern for the forum, we already have our fill of DJI bashers.
Is there anything wrong with the adhesive in your motor/arms connections? If so contact DJI directly and have it sorted out, if not, let it go, this topic has run its course, there really is no need for new threads here.

And to answer your Question, no I am not a Troll, I am actually sick of them (and DJI Bashers/forum wasters).
I am not going to waste too much time on you, my friend, so you are welcome to have the "last word" (something that your forum name would suggest, you could not live without) however, before I sign off, would you care to share your Facebook name with us (you said you are a member of a few Facebook groups with over 20 cases) after reading your recent posts here, on the forum, I'm sure there will be many members, who would like to read some of your posts/comments on your FB groups. Your forum name "Unstoppable" only suggests that when faced with the facts, faced with the truth that you can't understand or refuse to accept, you just will not stop!

So, to you, my new friend, Unstoppable, I give you, "The Last word"

Mark G.

2017-12-28
Use props
Zane Isaac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8712549 ft
  • >>>
United States

http://dronedepot.co.nz/inspire- ... e-2-feet-clamp.html
2017-12-28
Use props
Zane Isaac
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Zane Isaac Posted at 2017-12-28 17:02
http://dronedepot.co.nz/inspire-2-parts-accessories/824-dji-inspire-2-feet-clamp.html

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2539772
2017-12-28
Use props
unstoppable
lvl.2
Taiwan

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-28 14:37
You seem to believe that you know a lot about this technology, yet you have clearly only just woken up to what was going on "2 months ago", yes, this is old news, you are reposting videos that have already, not only been posted but have been dealt with, reposting old posts etc. This issue is not only old news but you being angry about the fact that you do not keep yourself up to date is not a concern for the forum, we already have our fill of DJI bashers.
Is there anything wrong with the adhesive in your motor/arms connections? If so contact DJI directly and have it sorted out, if not, let it go, this topic has run its course, there really is no need for new threads here.

How about you actually add something constructive to this conversation and answer @nazar404's and my question - what has been done by DJI to address this issue?

Unless you are a representative from DJI who is going to cover all the costs of the equipment and hospital treatment for someone this crap is going to hurt, you are not binging anything to this topic with your ignorance. If you are older in a rank here and been on this forum longer, put yourself into someone's else shoes who actually owns Inspire 2 and worry about potential accidents - just because this is not your problem, it doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist and shouldn't be addressed.

Because you see, I do know this is "old" news and what? You commented on a couple of threads that are almost 9 months old regarding the exact same issue and yet I don't recall DJI took any action and recalled those faulty units.

Are you going to also tell the user who hurt himself for the very same issue to stop worrying too? His bird was perfectly fine to the moment when it actually happened. So, since this is a Russian roulette and can happen randomly - yes, I am worried and no, I am not going to stand and look my equipment is falling on someone's head.

No one is bashing DJI here, people pay serious money and expect the quality.
Have some empathy dude.
2017-12-28
Use props
unstoppable
lvl.2
Taiwan

Hey Zane.

Thanks for these solutions - I saw them. The thing is, those are not officially tested and approved by DJI. This also doesn't fix the issue here - those units supposed to be simply recalled and replaced. There is a lot of people who each day fly those drones and are not aware of the issue.
2017-12-28
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

unstoppable Posted at 2017-12-28 21:09
How about you actually add something constructive to this conversation and answer @nazar404's and my question - what has been done by DJI to address this issue?

Unless you are a representative from DJI who is going to cover all the costs of the equipment and hospital treatment for someone this crap is going to hurt, you are not binging anything to this topic with your ignorance. If you are older in a rank here and been on this forum longer, put yourself into someone's else shoes who actually owns Inspire 2 and worry about potential accidents - just because this is not your problem, it doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist and shouldn't be addressed.

Plus 1 from me Mark. Can you just let us know what DJI have done to address this issue? Thanks.
2017-12-29
Use props
unstoppable
lvl.2
Taiwan

Maybe Mindy will be able to provide some answers?
2018-1-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-28 12:14
As I have already said, this is old news, DJI knows about this and it has been addressed. I am also a member of the Facebook groups and have too, seen the posts and comments and I was also one of the first to report this to DJI, I have also posted several videos (including the one you posted) pointing out the problem which DJI have responded to. Whilst everyone else has put this matter to bed, perhaps you are on a different shift and have only just woken up, in which case, may I wish you a good morning, help yourself to coffee, the kettle has just boiled.

Mark G.

I haven't put this matter to bed. I am looking to purchase this quad soon and seeing this post educated me on a potential issue I should look for when I receive my order. Even old news can help some of us, particularly if we happen to receive an earlier unit where this has not been addressed. I personally have loved every DJI product (7 total) I have purchased, so I am in no way a "DJI Basher", but attacking another forum member for asking quite appropriate questions may not be the best way to contribute here.
2018-1-15
Use props
TvWorks CP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3175755 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-12-28 14:37
You seem to believe that you know a lot about this technology, yet you have clearly only just woken up to what was going on "2 months ago", yes, this is old news, you are reposting videos that have already, not only been posted but have been dealt with, reposting old posts etc. This issue is not only old news but you being angry about the fact that you do not keep yourself up to date is not a concern for the forum, we already have our fill of DJI bashers.

Hi Mark,
It does not appear to me that you are aware of product liability claims, processes and procedures a supplier is required by law to take in many jurisdictions to ensure that the equipment is safe.

This is not a matter that is dealt with one x one. If a product has a design issue (I.e. unsafe motor mountings) in Australia a mandatory recall is required. It is an offense to not take corrective action.

DJI can reduce their exposure to massive fines by initiating a recall procedure in accordance with the law.

Authorities have the capability of banning the sale of Hesse aircraft if their is no corrective action undertaken by DJI. Additionally, CASA in Australia can also ground these aircraft and prevent anyone from flying them.

The result of not initiating a recall, may limit the ability for people with functional airframes to conduct their business. The reputations damage from that, not to mention the class actions from owners would be devastating to DJI and the UAV community.

It’s a bit more than a DJI bashing exercise. I presume you don’t speak for the company, or else your comments would be exposing DJI to further product liability issues.

Turning a blind eye and moving on, is illegal. Knowledge of the problem requires immediate action.
2018-1-15
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

Let's not confuse the issue here.  Once a safety-critical issue is identified, there is a legal requirement in at least the UK and USA for commercial drone operators to ensure that any such issue has been resolved before flight.  We are all aware of the issue of motors and legs falling off during flight, via two or more videos posted.  The issue has not been "put to rest" until and unless DJI inform commercial users of what action was taken to prevent recurrence of legs / motors falling off.  Until that happens, no commercial flights in USA and UK should be made with the Inspire 2.  Anyone flying an Inspire 2 in USA and UK for commercial use is liable to prosecution if the legs fall off in flight and cause damage to property or injury to 3rd parties.

Now if you are a commercial pilot in another country, the comments above probably may not apply to you.
2018-1-16
Use props
yuumee
lvl.2
Taiwan

So, official DJI forum, 3 weeks passed since I made this topic and no one who represents DJI replied to it yet? Do we have to wait for a real tragedy to happen for DJI to look into it?
2018-1-17
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI doesn't comment on pending litigation.
2018-1-17
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

eggbeater Posted at 2018-1-17 12:16
DJI doesn't comment on pending litigation.

Eggbeater, is there pending litigation?  
If so, then we should lock this thread ...
2018-1-17
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This solution gives me some peace of mind that if the glue fails it will keep the motor on the tube until I can land.
2018-1-17
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-1-17 12:29
Eggbeater, is there pending litigation?  
If so, then we should lock this thread ...

Silence is a defendants right not to self incriminate.  This can be the only reason for silence on a safety issue.  Defendants response gives plaintiffs ammunition during trials.  All DJI employees are in fact defendants.  This apparent problem will not be favorable to the FAA for flight over people so don't expect the Inspire 2 to become a wavered aircraft frame.  I still love my Inspire 2 and DJI has been more than quick in its response to my problems but this situation is worrisome and silence speaks volumes.
2018-1-18
Use props
yuumee
lvl.2
Taiwan

epicjib Posted at 2018-1-17 19:20
This solution gives me some peace of mind that if the glue fails it will keep the motor on the tube until I can land.[view_image]

I am not confident in this design and still see the parts can be detached.
2018-1-19
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

yuumee Posted at 2018-1-19 02:11

What do commercial pilots and DJI representatives think about a solution such as this:

1. Very carefully use a 3.2 mm drill bit and "Dremel" drill to bore through the legs and carbon tubes (without passing beyond the side wall and cutting the wires inside).  

2. Pass a 3 x 30 mm socket head screw through the legs and tubes, and secure the end with a 3mm nylock nut, ensuring it is not over-tightened, so the tube is not crushed?

2018-1-19
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

RobAlbania Posted at 2018-1-19 07:13
What do commercial pilots and DJI representatives think about a solution such as this:

1. Very carefully use a 3.2 mm drill bit and "Dremel" drill to bore through the legs and carbon tubes (without passing beyond the side wall and cutting the wires inside).  

Its a safety hack.
2018-1-19
Use props
epicjib
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3016060 ft
  • >>>
Canada

yuumee Posted at 2018-1-19 02:11

Explain why? It clamps to the tube like many motor mounts do in DIY drones and bolts directly to the metal motor mount.
2018-1-19
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Spain

epicjib Posted at 2018-1-17 19:20
This solution gives me some peace of mind that if the glue fails it will keep the motor on the tube until I can land.[view_image]

This is a pretty neat temporary solution. I assume its a DIY would you share more information how to build this bracket?
2018-1-19
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

skypal Posted at 2018-1-19 10:57
This is a pretty neat temporary solution. I assume its a DIY would you share more information how to build this bracket?

Look at posts #9 and #10 in this thread.
2018-1-19
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Spain

Keule Posted at 2018-1-19 11:55
Look at posts #9 and #10 in this thread.

Thanks I just ordered a set
2018-1-19
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

There are no screws for the inspire legs on the carbon tube?
2018-1-19
Use props
fansd845e849
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

Just wait for the inspire 3 late 2018 to start of 2019.
2018-1-19
Use props
Dinos6
lvl.2

Russia

A new terrible case... double motor mount fail. And again - left arm
2018-1-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Dinos6 Posted at 2018-1-25 15:21
[view_image]

A new terrible case... double motor mount fail. And again - left arm

So, I assume you've been hovering 25m above ground. peacefully waiting for the sun to fall behind horizon and to capture all this beauty when - suddenly - two motors decided to disengage. At once! What a coincident ...

BTW, from engineering point of view there's absolutely nothing wrong with this method of assembly. I'm using an specific epoxy to adhere all kind of hardware to heavily abused carbon tube structures for over decade and with great success. What we see here and in a couple of other reported cases is a manufacturing fault. Nothing more, nothing less.
Let's kill this wounded horse and move ahead, please ...
2018-1-25
Use props
yuumee
lvl.2
Taiwan

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-1-25 21:12
So, I assume you've been hovering 25m above ground. peacefully waiting for the sun to fall behind horizon and to capture all this beauty when - suddenly - two motors decided to disengage. At once! What a coincident  ...

BTW, from engineering point of view there's absolutely nothing wrong with this method of assembly. I'm using an specific epoxy to adhere all kind of hardware to heavily abused carbon tube structures for over decade and with great success. What we see here and in a couple of other reported cases is a manufacturing fault. Nothing more, nothing less.

It doesn't matter whether this is a design flaw or manufacturing fault - this supposed to be addressed.

If you buy a car tomorrow that has a "manufacturing fault" on the breaks are you going to do something about it or wait for the real accident to happen? And do you think I am going to send my bird tomorrow to DJI in hope they will check it properly for me and return it in same state as it has been delivered to them after seeing all these screw ups they are having with their support?

No s**t sherlock.

2018-1-26
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

The content of this thread gives me chills!
Ive been sceptic of spending this much money on a drone, that to me still is a toy with a pro camera attached, and if the sh.. hits the fan, youre left alone fighting agains the impossible, proving it was a manufacture error.
I like the concept of this machine, but the reliability around everything is terrifying
2018-1-26
Use props
ronin rs211
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I was going to use a a very strong 3M epoxy to cover the joint but this is a nice clean alternative..
Ordered, thanks for the link.
A simple fix would be a single rivit through the motor mount into the tube to prevent it coming off or rotating.
2018-1-26
Use props
Zane Isaac
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ronin rs211 Posted at 2018-1-26 07:49
I was going to use a a very strong 3M epoxy to cover the joint but this is a nice clean alternative..
A simple fix would be a single rivit through the motor mount into the tube to prevent it coming off or rotating.

You’re very welcome
2018-1-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

yuumee Posted at 2018-1-26 02:54
It doesn't matter whether this is a design flaw or manufacturing fault - this supposed to be addressed.

If you buy a car tomorrow that has a "manufacturing fault" on the breaks are you going to do something about it or wait for the real accident to happen? And do you think I am going to send my bird tomorrow to DJI in hope they will check it properly for me and return it in same state as it has been delivered to them after seeing all these screw ups they are having with their support?

Knowing that Sherlock Holmes was extremely intelligent, I'm taking your final comment as a compliment . However, you misunderstand the meaning of "manufacturing fault", Here's an googled explanation:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=m ... chrome&ie=UTF-8

In an attempt to address such issues, DJI will have to employ an highly qualified and well paid yourneyman mechanics on assembly line. Perhaps Boeing does just that, but no Apple nor DJI. You must see the absurdity of such expectations applied to this industry.
2018-1-26
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ronin rs211 Posted at 2018-1-26 07:49

It's not that simple, Ronin. To understand design challenge in this case, one must know specific physical and mechanical properties of carbon fiber tubes. Carbon tubes are providing amazing strength to weight ratio lengthwise, yet they're very brittle and prone to collapse under excessive clamping stress. Special tooling and technique is necessary to perform cutting, drilling or notching. Any not-reinforced opening in the wall will create stress concentration around, challenging the worthiness of such joinery:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=stress+concentration&oq=stress+concentration&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Epoxy adherence proved to be one of the best ways of carbon fiber structures assembly. With proper kind of hardware and adhesive my structures were failing anywhere but on joints, when tested for destruction. Rare Inspire 2 motor housing disengagement is caused by incidental manufacturing fault, not design flaw. IMHO, naturally.   
2018-1-26
Use props
lolders
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

Well I think I know why this happens guys. Day one when I got my I 2 (I was one of the first people to own one in Canada), I noticed that when you opened the landing gear, the rubber pads on the feet caused the landing gear to "skip" across the surface you put it on. I said to myself "Yikes, I will never stress the legs again". I saw this right away, however I've seen so many videos of people setting it up on pavement and bad surfaces and they just let it scrape! Since that very first time I always pick the unit up by the arms when opening and closing the landing gear.  When the grip pads skip on the surface it twists the glue apart.  So yes I could be wrong, but I think it is all caused by the user...  Hopefully this helps some people.. PS, some guy make printed clamps for the arms. I agree though, there should have been a few rods going through it to just secure it rigid.
2018-1-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules