Flickering Strobe effect ruining videos
2747 7 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Castyn
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

I have had this issue in the past with the Phantom 4 and now with the Mavic Pro Platinum.  Here is an example of what I am talking about while flying over some vineyards recently.  
Google Drive - Video Example Strobe

Basically it seems that the exposure is rapidly changing on highly detailed settings such as trees, grass, etc.  It ends up making the entire scene look like there is a strobe effect.  The The video I linked and what I have been shooting in is 4k, 24fps, 0 0 0, (also tried -2 -1 -1 per other threads on the GOP issue but all that did was make eerything blurry and didn't eliminate the effect, didn't even eliminate the GOP flicker) using an ND8 filter and dropping the shutter speed to around 120 (normally I go as low as possible but 2x frame rate but the issue still happens even at that rate) This effect gets much worse the more detail is on screen.  This isn't jello, prop shadow, and I don't believe it is the GOP keyframe issue (although that is a whole seperate debacle I am still trying to wrap my head around)

Does anyone know what causes this?  

I really want to love the mavic but I have yet to record anything that is remotely watchable with it.  My phantom 4 pro doesn't have this issue (but oh man it has so many hardware failures at this point), but I got a mavic for portability, didn't realize I would be fighting a very, very inefficient and clumsy encoder and camera issues   Just a bit demoralized at the moment.  Took a once in a lifetime trip to Australia and feel that I am going to end up walking away empty handed with garbage footage now.
2017-12-28
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Do you mean the high frequency (detail) changes that looks like noise? It is possible this is shot in particular is a 'special case' where you have quite a high saturation of 'greens' with a high contrast ratio at fine detail but at the same time shooting on an overcast day. On a more macro level the lines of vines are strobing due to the particular combination of in frame translation and the tilt over shooting angle. The detail does look a tad sharpened too - which will tend to fight against the intended cinematic motion-blur (from your frame and shutter settings). All this said the Mavic camera shoots at around 60Mbit/s  which is low for 4K footage - but would be okay for 1080p .... but only if the 4K was downsampled in camera to 1080p. Not exactly sure what the Mavic camera does for 1080p - it might just sample every 2nd pixel or due a crop from the center of the 4K capture.
2017-12-28
Use props
Castyn
lvl.1
  • >>>
Australia

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2017-12-28 08:55
Do you mean the high frequency (detail) changes that looks like noise? It is possible this is shot in particular is a 'special case' where you have quite a high saturation of 'greens' with a high contrast ratio at fine detail but at the same time shooting on an overcast day. On a more macro level the lines of vines are strobing due to the particular combination of in frame translation and the tilt over shooting angle. The detail does look a tad sharpened too - which will tend to fight against the intended cinematic motion-blur (from your frame and shutter settings). All this said the Mavic camera shoots at around 60Mbit/s  which is low for 4K footage - but would be okay for 1080p .... but only if the 4K was downsampled in camera to 1080p. Not exactly sure what the Mavic camera does for 1080p - it might just sample every 2nd pixel or due a crop from the center of the 4K capture.

I mean the rapid change in exposure that cause the overall visual effect of the video as though a strobe light was taking the place of the sun to a degree.  Noise caused by the terrible bandwidth as you mentioned combined with the GOP is an entirely separate issue from what I have seen thus far.  I use fixed WB (cloudy in the video I posted) and a fixed ISO  (100 is all I have ever used).  
2017-12-28
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Castyn Posted at 2017-12-28 14:15
I mean the rapid change in exposure that cause the overall visual effect of the video as though a strobe light was taking the place of the sun to a degree.  Noise caused by the terrible bandwidth as you mentioned combined with the GOP is an entirely separate issue from what I have seen thus far.  I use fixed WB (cloudy in the video I posted) and a fixed ISO  (100 is all I have ever used).

Hi Castyn, could you please try to use a lower resolution and a higher framerate, see if it helps.
2017-12-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Little deviation here but oh wow !!  is that the famous astrophysicist, Neil deGrasse Tyson in your avatar? Love meet and have a conversation with him.
2017-12-29
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

M.C. Pilot Posted at 2017-12-29 06:03
Little deviation here but oh wow !!  is that the famous astrophysicist, Neil deGrasse Tyson in your avatar? Love meet and have a conversation with him.

So it is!
2017-12-29
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Castyn Posted at 2017-12-28 14:15

Indeed I've tried using the AWB and for tilt up shots its really not very good - shifts in chroma as well as the exposure not settling at the correct level. But as you say if you are already using a 'fixed' white-balance setting, then that would imply the exposure would be fixed too - but maybe not. Will have to try some tests myself. In theory if all the variable settings at set to 'fixed' - then overall, the footage should stay consistently exposed (relative to overall scene illumination) and colour balanced.
2017-12-29
Use props
Castyn
lvl.1
  • >>>
New Zealand

Just to address I also have shot in 2.7k @ 30fps at this point.

I have tried davinci, that was an expensive waste of time.  I am now trying neat video, results there are minimal as well.  I use ND filters to lower shutter speed, have switched to D-log as well (though that fixed 500 iso thing now is really bothering me), but the issue persists.  

I think I am about to the point where I will sell the mavic and wait for whatever drone they release that has P4P camera on mavic pro portability body.  Anything else is starting to become a huge time sink and I am not sure what else to even try at this point.

I have gone through everything on this other forum and nothing seems to help.  Forum link for thread

Here is another example at 2k @ 30fps that was shot in D-Log with ND16, iso 100, 0-0-0 Video on Google Drive
2018-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules