Please have some respect!
1362 30 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nicko-au
lvl.2
Australia

Not sure everyones view on this, but this actually annoyed me!

Flying on a crowded beach 2-4 meters above people sunbathing/relaxing, for a good 20mins.

Please dont ruin it for the rest of us.
20171229_123302.jpg
2017-12-28
Use props
creativeTAG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2042566 ft
United States

is that a lady flying the drone?
2017-12-28
Use props
Nicko-au
lvl.2
Australia

Was a male
2017-12-28
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Just tell them you don't appreciate it.
2017-12-28
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797913 ft
Philippines

That looks a lot higher than 2-4 meters.  Regardless of photo, if someone is in violation of FAA regulations, notify local law enforcement.  Don't whine to the rest of us who obey FAA regulations and "fly with respect" and safe operation.
2017-12-28
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Ok heres a bit of a switch on things i know that may look annoying and it probably was. But lets change things around in that photo and put a kite instead of a drone and a kid flying instead of an adult ..... would it still be annoying.
Would an adult flying a kite be annoying?
Why is it that because its a drone it suddenly becomes annoying.
The guy flying was probably doing so totally innocently and just having fun.
I certainly dont agree with flying drones on populated beaches as in this case.
But i also dont agree with the stigma that has been placed on drones and their pilots.

Just my opinion anyway
2017-12-28
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

if the thing is actually flying, I don't see a problem.

If it's hovering in one spot for 20 minutes, obviously "staring" at some woman on the beach, that would be different.  

But based on the photo, I don't see what the problem is.  MHO

2017-12-28
Use props
Nicko-au
lvl.2
Australia

@hellsgate I agree, more concerned about the stigma attached to flying drones on a crowded beaches and pptential back lash.
@Kuya Kano noted. And thank you to all pilots who are doing the right thing.
2017-12-28
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

I personally find drone policing posts annoying. If you see someone breaking laws, by all means report him to relevant authorities. If no rules are broken, leave people alone if they're not hurting anyone. But please don't post about this kind of thing in drone enthusiast groups to browbeat the rest of us.
2017-12-28
Use props
Nicko-au
lvl.2
Australia

Fair call @dronesmeg heat of the moment, sorry to all if I've offended or insulted.
2017-12-28
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

From the photo, can't tell for sure if the drone was over people or over the water.
2017-12-28
Use props
Nick Gee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174 ft

United Kingdom

The drone is approximately 20 metres high.
2017-12-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just want to point out, a Kite does not have a camera as a rule ;)
And yeah, a deffo 10-20m not 2-4, big difference but still, not goo if an issue arises, UK we would have to be at least 50m above but being over this beach, i do not see 1000 people in a gathering so, in that respect, im not so sure anything is wrong, not 100% sure about a beach because the peoples are spread out over a ver large area and not confined to a small area for say a statdium, concert etc..
2017-12-28
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2017-12-28 22:08
Just want to point out, a Kite does not have a camera as a rule ;)
And yeah, a deffo 10-20m not 2-4, big difference but still, not goo if an issue arises, UK we would have to be at least 50m above but being over this beach, i do not see 1000 people in a gathering so, in that respect, im not so sure anything is wrong, not 100% sure about a beach because the peoples are spread out over a ver large area and not confined to a small area for say a statdium, concert etc..

Having a camera is irrelevant if you look closely at the photo its not just one person involved in flying the drone but i see at least three i also see that the pilot looks relatively young now when i look around the crowd on the beach i dont really see anything that would catch his eye long enough to hover and perve for 20 minutes. And certainly dont see what looks like other people complaining about it. for all we know the guy has informed those nearby on the beach that he was intending to fly and everyone was ok with it.

And just one other point i see no difference to having a camera on a drone taking photos on the beach to that of the op taking a photo on the beach with his phone of a drone flying above the beach..
Once again i dont agree with what the pilot has done as it is breaking the law in certain countries but i dont know the full story behind it either so ill keep an open mind.

2017-12-28
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I agree entirely but you said what if it was a kite, my point is you cannot perv with a kite, there really is a big difference
2017-12-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Bad example! Why does he like to fly there?
2017-12-29
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

My take - definitely shouldn't be flying over people especially hovering......clear violation. I stay clear from flying over people period. Don't want to give them a reason to call anyone.
2017-12-29
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

You could have gone over and had a quiet word with them.
2017-12-29
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

really ? who bothers a drone of less than two kilos flying on a beach? ... many pilots ... but not many paying attention

2017-12-29
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

I agree with AlanHd why did you not go and educate  the pilot ?
2017-12-29
Use props
shayward
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104163 ft
Canada

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-12-28 18:39
Ok heres a bit of a switch on things i know that may look annoying and it probably was. But lets change things around in that photo and put a kite instead of a drone and a kid flying instead of an adult ..... would it still be annoying.
Would an adult flying a kite be annoying?
Why is it that because its a drone it suddenly becomes annoying.

A kite isn't potentially taking photos and videos. Also a kite flying over me directly would result in a conversation.
2017-12-29
Use props
surfnhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398625 ft
United States

theres no perving going on here the drone cant zoom in on anything.....the only thing i would be worried about is it falling out of the sky and hurting someone
2017-12-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would be far more annoyed with you taking a closer photo of my half naked wife on the beach with your phone than a drone clearly 50M+ away (which is actually legal).
2017-12-29
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-28 18:36
That looks a lot higher than 2-4 meters.  Regardless of photo, if someone is in violation of FAA regulations, notify local law enforcement.  Don't whine to the rest of us who obey FAA regulations and "fly with respect" and safe operation.

Yeah, it looks more like 10-12 meters high to me. Also cannot tell if it is out over the water or over the beach there. As long as the pilot is not being overtly 'creepy', what's the problem? Especially if out over the water and not over the crowd.
2017-12-29
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Philippines

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-12-29 15:54
Yeah, it looks more like 10-12 meters high to me. Also cannot tell if it is out over the water or over the beach there. As long as the pilot is not being overtly 'creepy', what's the problem? Especially if out over the water and not over the crowd.

The photo looks like its over the water to me too.  If its one thing I've learned from working with a homicide detective for 7 years, its that people will EXAGGERATE and even lie when they complain about something.
Nobody complains about people filming with their iPhone or a go-pro on the beach, but then when someone shows up with a quadcopter, they call it "invasive".  Some people should just stay at home if they can't cope with advancing technologies.
2017-12-29
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Defo higher than 2-4m. Prefer to fly early morning before everyone else is up. Saves getting nagged and gives me some peace. Can also spot the best sunbed spots.......
2017-12-30
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Kuya Kano Posted at 2017-12-28 18:36

Kuya Kano I agree with you very strongly on this. I would lose my PfCO if I was found flying like this. Having said that, over here I doubt the police would even be bothered or come out,  A lot of restrictions now on what they will come for. They do not investigate house alarms any more, and I believe that they will not be bothered about robberies where the value is less than £200.
2017-12-30
Use props
Kuya Kano
Second Officer
Philippines

embayweather Posted at 2017-12-30 04:56
Kuya Kano I agree with you very strongly on this. I would lose my PfCO if I was found flying like this. Having said that, over here I doubt the police would even be bothered or come out,  A lot of restrictions now on what they will come for. They do not investigate house alarms any more, and I believe that they will not be bothered about robberies where the value is less than £200.

UAVs are something new to society.  And often, new things are perceived with suspicion and mistrust... just because its new.  Furthermore, many aren't use to the sound of a Phantom 4 buzzing by, so it can be startling to them.  That much is understandable, but every once in a while you get those who react like its the "end of the world" or "its out to get me", when really, the operator is just trying to have fun and capture some beautiful scenery.
Give it time.  UAVs are becoming more common, and like those cancer-causing devices that we now call "cellphones", reality and common sense will eventually replace such skepticism.
2017-12-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

embayweather Posted at 2017-12-30 04:56
Kuya Kano I agree with you very strongly on this. I would lose my PfCO if I was found flying like this. Having said that, over here I doubt the police would even be bothered or come out,  A lot of restrictions now on what they will come for. They do not investigate house alarms any more, and I believe that they will not be bothered about robberies where the value is less than £200.

They only come now if there is blood on the scene...
2017-12-30
Use props
dayviduk
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Well that Drone is definitely fixed on someone , i have studied the photo for a least 5 mins and the drone didnt move .
2017-12-30
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

dayviduk Posted at 2017-12-30 11:18
Well that Drone is definitely fixed on someone , i have studied the photo for a least 5 mins and the drone didnt move .

That made me laugh.
2017-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules