Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why OTG is a MUST on Spark (Proof Video - Delay and Disconnects)
12Next >
4245 46 2017-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FelBRax
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132717 ft
Brazil

There is not much to say, watch the video and you will understand why we(Spark users) are afraid that DJI removes support to OTG.
If they are really planning to remove OTG connection, we need a better app with REALLY stable WiFi connection.

App version 4.1.22 (28/12/2017) Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.0900 Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0400

A lot of stuff is not working in the most recent app with OTG
  • No battery info
  • Quick Shots not working (Only Dronie with 40mt setting, nothing else)
  • No height info
  • No Vertical Speed

PS: sorry for the shaky video, GoPro has in my head ...
My cellphone is a Moto Z2 Play, There was no other apps running on the cellphone.
2017-12-28
Use props
Perdomo
New
United States

I want to use OTG but for some reason if I’m plugged in it says Week Image Transmission Signal, but when I hook up with WiFi it doesn’t say that. Anyone else got that problem too?
2017-12-28
Use props
S.J
Captain
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

very nice info...great work !        I think DJI now must come up with a very good solution for the OTG concern...
2017-12-28
Use props
Mario_b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 977103 ft
Germany

Great Video and reflects exactly my experiences - and by the Fequenz Rules in Europe this is more Important for OTG fully work. For me it is working with DJI GO 4.1.14 and actually Firmware. All with OTG going bad if you use newer APPs.

In total it means for me the Spark isn't for the European Market:
a) WIFI still problematic
b) OTG didn't work in newer Version
c) No European Film Modes like 24 fps, 25 fps - only American 29,97 fps norm (Resulting Problems in using Spark Films in European Projects, as all other Cameras have different FPS and problems with Light Flickering)

Good thing, DJI seem to be working on the OTG Connection - hopefully they will also fix that fps problem of the Videos.
2017-12-28
Use props
Rjrolyn
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the video and info. Now, from across other forums, Yes IOS / Android users prefer OTG feature. It all breaks down OTG is needed to many that wants stable video feed that requires OTG and while DJi reps will say " OTG is not Supported " and must use Wifi.  This video clearly shows how the new FW 4.1.22 Features:

All-new Homepage and UI
Near Real-time HD Image Transmission
Camera Settings Adjustment
Updated playback interface
Updated Editor with improved UI
More templates and music tracks in Editor
Convenient video downloading, editing and sharing
Integrated live streaming
Near real-time flight data recording

* Battery Info missing
* No Height info
* No Speed Info
*** Nice work DJI

DJi, I think its time for you to REALLY listen to what your customers want and what could work for many, Just my 0.02
2017-12-28
Use props
Conrod
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Excellent work, illustrating the video lag issue perfectly. The other key need for OTG support is to address the problem that Android phones in Europe can't see the 5GHz bands, leading to all the other issues raised on this forum.

DJI - an official statement on this, other than the standard "OTG is not currently supported on the Spark", would be very much appreciated by everyone on this forum. It seems to me that the overwhelming demand and evidence must surely eventually result in official support of OTG on the Spark in a future release. Formal confirmation of this, with an indication of the timescale, would certainly reduce the current tensions being expressed by your understandably frustrated customers.

Alan

2017-12-28
Use props
Mario_b
lvl.3
Flight distance : 977103 ft
Germany

DJI has stated already (in other Threads to OTG) that they working on the OTG Feature
2017-12-28
Use props
rimza
Captain
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Good video FelBRax. you are correct it should be the primary connection recommended between device and RC.

Similarly as DJI FPV goggles intended connection to RC for Spark is by USB cable I gather.
2017-12-28
Use props
Noikmeister
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72598 ft
Australia

Great video. Really good depiction of my experience.
2017-12-29
Use props
heliman
First Officer
Denmark

The wifi link in the video is disturbed by a close wifi hotspot. That’s not fair.
And the phone is not on the compatibility list.
About 6 months have passed, with serious wifi issues on many android devices.
That’s not fair either.
2017-12-29
Use props
djiuser_pVzOCZc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120361 ft
Australia

good clear demonstration, It's a bit hard to describe the problem to people that are not having it, but the video shows the the issue quite well.

There is also a fair amount of inconsistency in the issue.  ie. rebooting the AC, RC and phone sometimes clears it up and the issue is noticeably worse on some devices.  Quite odd..
2017-12-29
Use props
fans28c124b0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57677 ft
United Kingdom

Great video, explains the problem with WiFi we are experiencing.

I'm just afraid that some "clever" admin will step in and advise to buy iOS device.
2017-12-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

S.J Posted at 2017-12-28 23:03
very nice info...great work !        I think DJI now must come up with a very good solution for the OTG concern...

You really think, DJI isn't knowing that?
'Please use a device from our tested list'!
2017-12-29
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Mario_b Posted at 2017-12-28 23:40
DJI has stated already (in other Threads to OTG) that they working on the OTG Feature

Indeed!
And they did definetely on androids Go4 between 4.1.15 and 4.1.18
2017-12-29
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very good depiction of the issue
2017-12-29
Use props
Sjd666 1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3785020 ft
United Kingdom

Spot on video all the symptoms I’m getting with my CS and spark. Hardly any telemetry from the aircraft.
2017-12-29
Use props
Phuong Do
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

I think you just need to be patient. As one of the early member of this forum, I have learnt how slow DJI is in terms of problem solving. For example, the "Spark falls out of the sky" case.  DJI took nearly 2 months to come up with the battery firmware that fixed the issue. After the battery firmware, no more sudden fall (But during that 2months, DJI did not say anything to customers like: "Please do not fliy and wait for us to fix", " Or this is our fault and we will compensate if your Spark fall",... They chose to be silent).
So, this OTG matter seems to be the same. I am sure they know OTG is more reliable (Wired connection is always more reliable than wireless), but DJI engineers are just so slow on fixing the matter...
2017-12-29
Use props
Peter Powers
lvl.1
Flight distance : 113773 ft
Germany

heliman Posted at 2017-12-29 00:09
The wifi link in the video is disturbed by a close wifi hotspot. That’s not fair.
And the phone is not on the compatibility list.
About 6 months have passed, with serious wifi issues on many android devices.

I can attest to having similar issues outdoors with no Hotspot nearby.

When I bought my spark it also didn't say runs only with specific phones on the box, it said ios and Android with a minimum version requirement.

And yes after half a year the issues have not been addressed, and the known workaround (OTG) has been broken.

My original intent was to buy a phantom 4 pro for Christmas, but the way Dji has been dealing with this has made me decide to save the money for now, I can't justify throwing money at them anymore.
2017-12-29
Use props
Mildman
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-12-29 06:41
I think you just need to be patient. As one of the early member of this forum, I have learnt how slow DJI is in terms of problem solving. For example, the "Spark falls out of the sky" case.  DJI took nearly 2 months to come up with the battery firmware that fixed the issue. After the battery firmware, no more sudden fall (But during that 2months, DJI did not say anything to customers like: "Please do not fliy and wait for us to fix", " Or this is our fault and we will compensate if your Spark fall",... They chose to be silent).
So, this OTG matter seems to be the same. I am sure they know OTG is more reliable (Wired connection is always more reliable than wireless), but DJI engineers are just so slow on fixing the matter...

What?   OTG was working (Although not supported), patience was not required, why didn't just leave it alone?
2017-12-29
Use props
FelBRax
lvl.3
Brazil

Mildman Posted at 2017-12-29 07:47
What?   OTG was working (Although not supported), patience was not required, why didn't just leave it alone?

Exactly, that's why I am using 4.1.15, everything is working perfectly with this version and OTG. I just hope they don't make any new firmware not retro-compatible with version .15, because that's the version I will be using until they "fix" OTG
2017-12-29
Use props
BROLL
lvl.3
United States

Just got this response on the official DJI Spark Facebook page from an Admin.

Screenshot_20171229-111243.png
2017-12-29
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BROLL Posted at 2017-12-29 08:22
Just got this response on the official DJI Spark Facebook page from an Admin.

Ah...he's not a DJI employee, thus not official
fb.JPG
2017-12-29
Use props
BROLL
lvl.3
United States

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-12-29 08:35
Ah...he's not a DJI employee

Oh ok thanks. That's my fault. Thought he was. Thanks for the clarification.
2017-12-29
Use props
Raploc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22598 ft
Netherlands

BROLL Posted at 2017-12-29 08:37
Oh ok thanks. That's my fault. Thought he was. Thanks for the clarification.

No not your fault. Its THE official DJI Facebook page. You would expect the admins there to be at least instructed by DJI marketing what they can and cannot say. I mean these aren't volunteers, I hope....
2017-12-29
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Raploc Posted at 2017-12-29 08:52
No not your fault. Its THE official DJI Facebook page. You would expect the admins there to be at least instructed by DJI marketing what they can and cannot say. I mean these aren't volunteers, I hope....

I believe that just because its named "Official"  doesn't infer that DJI sponsors it...does it?  I assume I could create the "Official" Mustang page or something like that.
2017-12-29
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Disregard all my prior posts Ken Booth is a DJI employee.  He's actually Blade Strike over on the RC Groups forum
2017-12-29
Use props
The Quadfather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 439026 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Why even think of removing the OTG support DJI - Does it disturb any of your marketing plans? The Spark is NOT working sufficient enough on Wi-Fi  and removing support for a cable is just ridicules
2017-12-29
Use props
Gulfstream Greg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 176024 ft
United States

I've had my spark for 4 days. I have updated to the very latest firmware and   the very latest DJI GO 4 app on 28 Dec 2017.    I have a controller and I use a Moto G5 phone. The Go 4 app frequently   disconnect while the spark is in flight.    It happens regardless of the distance.    I have this serious problem while hovering just 4 feet away and I also   experienced this frightening problem while flying at altitude.   The disconnect happens when I have a full battery charge on all--the Spark, the   controller and my phone.
2017-12-29
Use props
Raploc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22598 ft
Netherlands

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-12-29 08:57
I believe that just because its named "Official"  doesn't infer that DJI sponsors it...does it?  I assume I could create the "Official" Mustang page or something like that.

Nope, you will be shutdown so fast it'll spin your head. You could set up a "Mustang Fan" page or "Mustang meetup' page but nothing remotely official without Ford. Facebook is a marketing tool for a lot of companies.
2017-12-29
Use props
mtnstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 222621 ft
United States

Felbrax, well done!  
2017-12-29
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Raploc Posted at 2017-12-29 09:32
Nope, you will be shutdown so fast it'll spin your head. You could set up a "Mustang Fan" page or "Mustang meetup' page but nothing remotely official without Ford. Facebook is a marketing tool for a lot of companies.

Thanks for the info...not really a FB user.
2017-12-29
Use props
Gabto
Captain
Flight distance : 33202 ft
Argentina

FelBRax... you're my new IDOL!!!! Greatest video ever uploaded to the forum!!!
2017-12-29
Use props
Sjd666 1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

From dji support this evening

Hello Steve,

We understand your inquiry about the usage of OTG cable for your DJI Spark, rest assured that we will do our best to clear this out for you.

As of the moment, usage of OTG cable is not supported by DJI Spark. It was remove by using a firmware update as there seems to be a lot of issues with this connection and it's now on the process of being tested for compatibility and should be included on the future updates that will be released for DJI Spark.

I do hope that I was able to provide you the best customer service possible and clear this out for you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DJI Europe Support, Mon-Fri 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM (UTC+1)
2017-12-29
Use props
FelBRax
lvl.3
Brazil

Gabto Posted at 2017-12-29 09:53
FelBRax... you're my new IDOL!!!! Greatest video ever uploaded to the forum!!!

So glad to hear that.
I really wanted to explain visualy the issues that some users are experiencing with the spark and it's WiFi connection to the controller.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of not having to use OTG (as we all know, this drains the controller battery) and use the only the WiFi connection, BUT for some users, WiFi is not reliable at the moment.

My tip for anyone who wants to use OTG atm (and maybe have EVERYTHING working like: Bat. Info; Height; Quickshots, etc) is: Download DJI Go 4 4.1.15 apk and give it a try.

This version (.15) works PERFECTLY for me. (Moto Z2 Play)

Thank you all for so many replies to this post, I know DJI is probably woking on a solution right now,
but, the thing is: OTG was working better on .15, "idk, just improve that apk variant, maybe?"

2017-12-29
Use props
Conrod
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sjd666 1 Posted at 2017-12-29 11:30
From dji support this evening

Hello Steve,

This sounds encouraging Steve, but did your query to DJI Support relate specifically to your CrystalSky?

DJI clearly plan to support an OTG connection for CS, but the key question (especially in the light of the earlier reported remark from DJI regarding iOS) is whether they also plan to support it on generic Android devices. That is, of course, the $64,000 question!
2017-12-29
Use props
CabinPete
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

"It was remove by using a firmware update as there seems to be a lot of issues with this connection"

That right there is interesting.
All the threads on this topic had two views: on purpose or by accident.
If post 33 is a quote from DJI it will put that debate to rest.
2017-12-29
Use props
Laszl0
lvl.1
Poland

"App version 4.1.22 (28/12/2017) Aircraft Firmware: V 01.00.0900 Remote Controller Firmware: V 01.00.0400

A lot of stuff is not working in the most recent app with OTG

No battery info
    Quick Shots not working (Only Dronie with 40mt setting, nothing else)
    No height info
    No Vertical Speed"

I confirm. Still no telemetry in 4.1.22 app. And also there is an error when updating drone software. It reaches 5% and after few minutes there is an error.
2017-12-29
Use props
Sjd666 1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Conrod Posted at 2017-12-29 14:08
This sounds encouraging Steve, but did your query to DJI Support relate specifically to your CrystalSky?

DJI clearly plan to support an OTG connection for CS, but the key question (especially in the light of the earlier reported remark from DJI regarding iOS) is whether they also plan to support it on generic Android devices. That is, of course, the $64,000 question!

Hi conrod

I did ask the question and I was told that the CS wasn’t on the latest firmware as they are still working on it. But no release date.
2017-12-30
Use props
Sjd666 1
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CabinPete Posted at 2017-12-29 14:46
"It was remove by using a firmware update as there seems to be a lot of issues with this connection"

That right there is interesting.

Hi cabinpete
That was the email I received via email. Now it’s just a waiting game, I’m lucky as it’s winter in the UK so no real flying for me
2017-12-30
Use props
JCPEREIR
Second Officer
Portugal

FelBRax Posted at 2017-12-29 11:41
So glad to hear that.
I really wanted to explain visualy the issues that some users are experiencing with the spark and it's WiFi connection to the controller.

Hi,
i cant isntall DJi go 4 4.1.15 it says cant conet server connect  how to solve?
2017-12-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules