Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
So I Decided To Give DJI Another Chance
1768 11 2015-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JATO
Second Officer

United States

The new DJI Phantom 3 is out and I know a number of people are going to update. Well I decided to give DJI another chance. Yep that's right. except I taking a different route. I fly the Phantom mostly for fun and while the FPV is aslo fun I looking for a challenge. So I decided to build a 470 sized helicopter using a NAZA-H controller.
The helicopter will function similar to the Phantom but not exactly. Like the Phantom it will have 3 opereating modes. GPS, ATTI and manual, but those modes operate differntly than the Phantom.  The big plus the stop and hover if transmitter signal is lost (no RTH) and hover stability in GPS including wind (hands of hover). The heli still have to be taken off and landing manuallly and it also needs the compass dance like the Phantom.

Wish me luck as I have ordered the parts. No idea how long it will take to complete the build or when it will actually fly but it will have the Trackimo on board when it does in case it flies away. The heli is a scale model build based on an AH-1W Army attack heli. If this build goes well and flies well the plan is to build a larger heli at least 700 scale heli with NAZA stabilization. But that will be bit later as the expense of that build is about 3X the cost of the 470 series build.
2015-4-19
Use props
jtrjr
Captain
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Jato,

Certainly sounds like a heck of a challenge! Good luck! Looking forward to seeing it when it's done.

Jerry
2015-4-19
Use props
gil
Captain
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Seeing as how I have no clue what "470 size" means in English I had to do a google search to try and get a mental picture of how big that would be.  That particular scale model turns out to be 850 millimeters or 33.47 inches (at least the one I looked at)

I also had no idea of how big those suckers can get, a 700 scale is something like 1500mm or almost 5 feet!  Dang, you could put weapons on something that big!
2015-4-19
Use props
JATO
Second Officer

United States

Yeah they can get big. My son wants me to build a 800 series turbine! Talk about size and cost! My current largest is just over 2 feet but that doesn't include the rotor.
2015-4-19
Use props
JATO
Second Officer

United States

So I have to start over. The company I ordered my stuff from called today and told me the heli stuff is out of stock and won't be available for a few months. I ask for my money back.
2015-4-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-4-21 10:48
So I have to start over. The company I ordered my stuff from called today and told me the heli stuff ...

Does that come with LAWS rockets?
2015-4-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
Captain

Canada

Nope...Scuds!
2015-4-20
Use props
JATO
Second Officer

United States

Ha, as a matter of fact it does Gerry. The only problem is that they are plastic and don't work. That is why I wanted to get into scale stuff because of the detail. I'm really bum'in as I want to build a this thing.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-4-21 22:39
Ha, as a matter of fact it does Gerry. The only problem is that they are plastic and don't work. The ...

You can always put in 1 more channel and fire bottle rockets.
2015-4-21
Use props
JATO
Second Officer

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-4-21 22:45
You can always put in 1 more channel and fire bottle rockets.

Yeah but that's how I get in trouble. You know me Gerry, sometimes take things to excess One day it's bottle rockets...then you'll be seeing me on the news with a jacket over my head.
2015-4-21
Use props
Gerry1124
Captain

United States

JATO Posted at 2015-4-21 22:49
Yeah but that's how I get in trouble. You know me Gerry, sometimes take things to excess One day i ...

We had industrial grade dynamite 30 years ago when my friend was working heavy construction.  We wired up a 12 inch stick of dynamite in an ESTES rocket with a battery and blasting cap and launched them at 2 or 3 am.  Wake up the whole town.  
2015-4-21
Use props
JATO
Second Officer

United States

Sounds kinda fun  Not all things people see on the news are evil and sinister, sometimes they are just fun on a bigger, louder, and much cooler scale
2015-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules