My Mavic fell from the sky
2587 18 2017-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans39df542b
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28645 ft
Australia

Can someone explain how I send my flight records to be analysed please? I was flying my Mavic at the beach when all of a sudden it fell from the sky and crashed into the ocean.  Not sure how to send my flight data. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
2017-12-30
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

You should be able to see your flight in the app??
I think for the DAT file you need something like this??
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-12-30
Use props
CA Mavic Pro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639652 ft
Lebanon

Sorry for the crash, hope the data from flight will show what happened
2017-12-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, you should sync the flight records on the APP first, then provide your DJI Account email and the date this occurred to the DJI Support, they'll start a case for you, here is a link for you to contact them. https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2017-12-30
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

Did you recover the drone or was it lost at sea?
2017-12-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

There are two types of logs that can be helpful: one (TXT file) is written by the Go app and stored on your mobile device for each flight, and the other (DAT file) is recorded on the Mavic itself while it's powered on. Like 4WDaus, I'm not clear as to whether you recovered the drone or not, though from your description I'm guessing you didn't, in which case you'll only have access to the flight's TXT file stored on your mobile device. The instructions for retrieving it are available on the PhantomHelp web site that Simmo1 provided a link to, and if you'd like someone outside of DJI to look at the log then post a link to it in this thread after you've uploaded it to PhantomHelp. DJI will want you to provide it to them by syncing your flight records with their server through the Go app instead, though, so you should do that instead of or in addition to uploading to PhantomHelp, as it's ultimately going to be DJI that decides your fate.

If you did retrieve the aircraft and are still able to power it on to retrieve the DAT file, then you should also look at the instructions for retrieving it that are found here. Good luck.
2017-12-30
Use props
fans39df542b
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks for all the tips guys. I did retrieve my drone but it had been tumbling around in the surf for about 20 minutes before we found it and has quite a bit of sand in it. We have tried to get rid of most of it but there may still be some in it. What worries me is that the drone was fine before I updated the firmware yesterday. I wonder if this has contributed to the crash somehow? I’ve had over 50 flights and know it didn’t hit anything and it wasn’t pilot error. What are the chances the firmware update stuffed it or as it just dropped out of the sky would it be covered by warranty as it sounds like a malfunction.
2017-12-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans39df542b Posted at 2017-12-30 13:26
Thanks for all the tips guys. I did retrieve my drone but it had been tumbling around in the surf for about 20 minutes before we found it and has quite a bit of sand in it. We have tried to get rid of most of it but there may still be some in it. What worries me is that the drone was fine before I updated the firmware yesterday. I wonder if this has contributed to the crash somehow? I’ve had over 50 flights and know it didn’t hit anything and it wasn’t pilot error. What are the chances the firmware update stuffed it or as it just dropped out of the sky would it be covered by warranty as it sounds like a malfunction.

My recommendation is to let it dry thoroughly and then try to extract the DAT file, preferably using a different battery. In the meantime, you should go ahead and open a case with DJI, after which they'll tell you to send the drone back to them for analysis. If you're able to access the DAT file, then post a link to it here and I'll take a look, but if you can't then you're going to be at the mercy of DJI's analysis of what happened, which is usually -- but not always -- accurate. Retrieving the DAT file before you send it back to them is particularly important if you don't have Care Refresh, because DJI will declare it a total loss and will only offer you a (refurbished) replacement at full cost even though the invoice will describe it as a "repair".

P.S. Some may try to convince you that it can be salvaged by rinsing it with distilled water and then drying it out, but even if you could get all the sand out -- which is unlikely -- the reality is that it will succumb to the salt water damage sooner or later; that's why DJI won't even attempt a repair.
2017-12-30
Use props
4WDaus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1187257 ft
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-12-30 13:40
My recommendation is to let it dry thoroughly and then try to extract the DAT file, preferably using a different battery. In the meantime, you should go ahead and open a case with DJI, after which they'll tell you to send the drone back to them for analysis. If you're able to access the DAT file, then post a link to it here and I'll take a look, but if you can't then you're going to be at the mercy of DJI's analysis of what happened, which is usually -- but not always -- accurate. Retrieving the DAT file before you send it back to them is particularly important if you don't have Care Refresh, because DJI will declare it a total loss and will only offer you a (refurbished) replacement at full cost even though the invoice will describe it as a "repair".

P.S. Some may try to convince you that it can be salvaged by rinsing it with distilled water and then drying it out, but even if you could get all the sand out -- which is unlikely -- the reality is that it will succumb to the salt water damage sooner or later; that's why DJI won't even attempt a repair.

Agree - the oxidation of components only takes a few hours. Impossible to remove moisture from inside the case fast enough.
2018-1-11
Use props
fans39df542b
lvl.1
Australia

An update on my case. I received numerous photos from DJI shieing me there was water damage to my drone. Well, we already knew that because it fell into the ocean.
The flight data shows the drone taking off and responding to my commands until 54secs into the flight when the recording just stops. No record of it landing because this would be when it fell out of the sky. They’ve offered me a 30% discount on a new drone because they “cannot determine what happened afterward”.  Pretty gutted with this response. The crash was totally not my fault. I’ve asked them to review my case so hopefully it will be replaced under warranty. Fingers crossed! Thank you to everyone for your input so far.
2018-1-29
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

Seems to be a common problem. 100% power drop. 100% DJI fault. However they will tell you, "there is no record of DJI malfunction." That is only because 100% power drops lead to no video, no error warrnings, but a perfect excuse from DJI. Just another disgrace from DJI.
2018-1-29
Use props
fans39df542b
lvl.1
Australia

I’m gutted they’re not replacing the unit with a new one. They’ve now offered 50% off a “new” one but the crash was not my fault in any way. The flight data clearly shows the aircraft did not land. Not happy. Why should I have to pay for a new machine when it was not my fault? It was only 2 months old. It should be replaced under warranty. Consumer Affairs here we come.
2018-2-8
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

Good luck.  
2018-2-8
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

And this is the reason why I have State Farm insurance. Hope it all works out for you.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans39df542b
lvl.1
Australia

Insurance or no insurance they still can’t tell me why it fell from the sky. It should be replaced under warranty.
2018-2-8
Use props
TDU7146975
lvl.2
Flight distance : 936240 ft
United States

I also had my Mavic fall out of the sky.  I am curious if you ever got a resolve from DJI, I am still going back and forth and been offered the same BS 30% off.
2018-6-10
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Good Luck!
2018-6-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
Netherlands

fans39df542b Posted at 2018-1-29 01:03
An update on my case. I received numerous photos from DJI shieing me there was water damage to my drone. Well, we already knew that because it fell into the ocean.
The flight data shows the drone taking off and responding to my commands until 54secs into the flight when the recording just stops. No record of it landing because this would be when it fell out of the sky. They’ve offered me a 30% discount on a new drone because they “cannot determine what happened afterward”.  Pretty gutted with this response. The crash was totally not my fault. I’ve asked them to review my case so hopefully it will be replaced under warranty. Fingers crossed! Thank you to everyone for your input so far.

I received numerous photos from DJI shieing me there was water damage to my drone.

Was that ever helpful of DJI repair...   Not!

How convenient of DJI to use ''cannot determine what happened afterward'', along water damage to drone.

Time to file complaints.

2018-6-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hope you get this sorted soon
2018-6-11
Use props
Advanced