Do you fly with Gimbal cover on?
18696 13 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1005049 ft
United States

I’m assuming that the gimbal cover isn’t meant for flying. But it begs the question, why make it so clear if it isn’t meant for flying?  Why not integrate the lock into it?  And why provide an opaque silicone cover for the cover?

I’m thinking it might be useful in dusty areas or as a protector for the way more expensive gimbal. It’s probably awful when facing the sun, but it seems clear enough for other uses.

So, do any of you fly with it?
2017-12-31
Use props
Zamboon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1332844 ft
Zambia

Some folk do with seemingly no effect. I like to take it off so as not to obstruct the airflow for cooling.
2017-12-31
Use props
Vandesande
lvl.2
Flight distance : 115640 ft
Belgium

I believe that the gimbal cover blocks some air intake. It the colder days it will make less influence, I guess.
I had the same idée as you (clear, silicone cover,...) but covering the ventilation made me reconsider...
2017-12-31
Use props
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
United States

Googling finds that this is a pretty common question. And hotly debated!

Apparently, DJI says you can fly with it in to protect the gimbal and camera. Most people hate putting a cheap price of plastic in front of the camera and some think that the cover will block airflow to the camera electronics.

The final conclusion seems to be: your choice.
2017-12-31
Use props
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
United States

mz-in-norcal Posted at 2017-12-31 01:57
Googling finds that this is a pretty common question. And hotly debated!

Apparently, DJI says you can fly with it in to protect the gimbal and camera. Most people hate putting a cheap price of plastic in front of the camera and some think that the cover will block airflow to the camera electronics.

This is where the DJI comment comes from: https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... om=search-result-v2

"Protects gimbal and camera from collision, dust and water during transportation and in flight."
2017-12-31
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agreed it’s a personal choice.
2017-12-31
Use props
rolling56
First Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I take it off as i get enough lens flare as it is. Never thought about ventilation but will now next time i look at it. I haven't flown in close to a month so just keeping an eye on the controller batt and RC batts
2017-12-31
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2017-12-31 05:30
I take it off as i get enough lens flare as it is. Never thought about ventilation but will now next time i look at it. I haven't flown in close to a month so just keeping an eye on the controller batt and RC batts

+1  Depending on the lighting conditions the lens flare can really be intrusive on some shots.
2017-12-31
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

i remove mine, i also purchased one that has an integrated gimbal lock in it for transporting the mavic
2017-12-31
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I take it off all the time, no need for my flying and videos.
2017-12-31
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

Flying in snow, like yesterday it’s on, all other times off.
2017-12-31
Use props
mz-in-norcal
lvl.2
United States

My ten minutes of recording under clouds with no direct sunlight, has an arc shaped reflection on one side.

While the camera is stabilized, the reflection is not!  :-)
2018-1-2
Use props
Koia Koia
lvl.2
Flight distance : 772867 ft
United States

The gimbal cover has a slit in it that likely provides adequate air flow. However I only fly with it on in high winds or snow to help protect the gimbal.  
2018-1-2
Use props
wzr
New

Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGtdTibE21o This guy tested for 10 minutes with and without gimbal cover and the temp difference is zero.
2019-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules