Unable to set WiFi channel
1341 12 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rhamphorhynchan
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Since I'm in the UK over Xmas, I have the crap range associated with the WiFi settings here (about 100 feet seems to be the practical limit before serious dropouts start). Dji suggest choosing a quieter WiFi channel to improve matters, so I've been trying that. However, I've not had any success. I choose a custom WiFi channel in the app and it says the setting will be applied after a WiFi reset, but the remote's WiFi SSID doesn't reappear.

If I turn everything off, then turn on the remote by itself I see the SSID and can connect to it. If I then turn the spark on, I lose the WiFi connection to the remote and the SSID disappears from the list of available networks. The only way out of this state is to reset the spark and the remote (9 second power button hold on both) then rebind them. That gets me back to square one with an auto selected WiFi channel and 100 foot range.

Any suggestions on if things can be improved? I'm aware of the otg controversy.
2017-12-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd use the OTG if I were you.
2017-12-31
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

Welcome to the EU nightmare. Unlike the US here in the EU we have much more strict regulations of the strenght of a WiFi signal (somebody wrote 25mW vs 600mW in the US for 5,8GHz). Also, in here, the phones are unable to use the 5,8GHz band which totally ruins the Spark experience for everybody.

If you have an android phone you can downgrade the DJI Go 4 app to 4.1.15 which still supports the OTG cable (unoficially) and that should improve the range of the spark considerably (I have 50m via WiFi vs 400m via OTG cable).
2017-12-31
Use props
Rhamphorhynchan
lvl.1
United Kingdom

OTG had worked with my old (micro USB) phone, but never worked with my new (USB c) phone. Haven't tried the hacky versions yet. Was hoping I was doing something wrong with the channel selector because I will probably need it to work at home too...
2017-12-31
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

Rhamphorhynchan Posted at 2017-12-31 05:45
OTG had worked with my old (micro USB) phone, but never worked with my new (USB c) phone. Haven't tried the hacky versions yet. Was hoping I was doing something wrong with the channel selector because I will probably need it to work at home too...

Well, I have Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom that has USB C as well and OTG works just fine. The combination I use is micro USB cable to USB (OTG) that I plug into the remote and then a regular USB to USB C cable. Also I always have to wait till the remote fully starts up before plugging in the OTG cable (I usually wait till it connects with the Spark). I have also tried an USB C OTG cable but that did not work.
2017-12-31
Use props
rimza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Probably some cables or dongle are sold as OTG cables but actually only charging capable so this could hamper the communication between RC and device.
2017-12-31
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Vyborny83 Posted at 2017-12-31 07:27
Well, I have Asus Zenfone 3 Zoom that has USB C as well and OTG works just fine. The combination I use is micro USB cable to USB (OTG) that I plug into the remote and then a regular USB to USB C cable. Also I always have to wait till the remote fully starts up before plugging in the OTG cable (I usually wait till it connects with the Spark). I have also tried an USB C OTG cable but that did not work.

you are very lucky if OTG comm works ...
2017-12-31
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

S.J Posted at 2017-12-31 09:51
you are very lucky if OTG comm works ...

Lucky and also using DJI Go 4 4.1.14 and FW 01.00.0600 ;). Anything newer than 4.1.15 and OTG will become useless .
2017-12-31
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Vyborny83 Posted at 2017-12-31 09:57
Lucky and also using DJI Go 4 4.1.14 and FW 01.00.0600 ;). Anything newer than 4.1.15 and OTG will become useless .

Just ensure that you save a copy of the old software in your folders.  DJI is tuning up with the old app files to include more restrictions.
2017-12-31
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Rhamphorhynchan Posted at 2017-12-31 05:45

Sir, please tell me the model of your device. Some Android phones do not support 5.8 G channel. Please keep us updated.
2018-1-18
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

You have a PM for a solution
2018-1-18
Use props
SuperMario5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131070 ft
Poland

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-18 02:11
Sir, please tell me the model of your device. Some Android phones do not support 5.8 G channel. Please keep us updated.

My Galaxy A5 and S7 Edge support 5GHz and work perfectly with the home WiFi network 5Ghz (channel 100) but do not work with RC SPARK, because RC broadcasts on channels higher than 140 which in the EU are not allowed! That's how it looks in my opinion. (sorry for my poor English)
2018-1-18
Use props
marikello
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59537 ft
Ireland

I'm in the same boat. Once u choose wifi chanell, the whole rc and drone thing becomes useless....  
2018-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules