Remote Identification
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've been following the 'discussion' on the need to login to ones account to be able to fly the DJI Aircraft.

I haven't found it to be intrusive, so I was happy enough to log into my account the once as required.

What surprises me is that the 'Remote Identification', which recently appeared, is not being discussed more. Because it is very likely that when the registrations and tests are law that having to utilise the latest technology will be embedded in that.
At some point it may become mandatory to transmit 'Remote Information', or perhaps switched on and off using GEO control. There might come a time when not to transmit this information when flying may become an offence, either civil or criminal.

For those that haven't seen the 'Reomote Idendification' option I've attached a couple of screen snapshots from DJI Go 4 V4.1.20 running on my iPad Pro 9.7. Using all the latest versions of everything else.

Remote Identification.PNG
Remote Identification Menu.PNG
2017-12-31
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

If this is put into the laws as requirement it would make a monopoly of DJI drones, not going to happen just like that.

Happy New Year.
2017-12-31
Use props
zimou13
lvl.1

Algeria

A serial numbered transponder built into the drone’s receiver electronics would work nicely. FRSky receivers already downlink telemetry from attached sensors to the RC transmitter controller, and a transponder module would be quite easy to place on the same bus. This would be independent of the autopilot electronics and would retrofit easily with any existing system from DJI or 3D Robotics, but may require replacing the original radio receiver. With enabling registration legislation, the FAA could require this of all existing and new drones. An easy technical solution.
2018-2-24
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 started a discussion about this a while back, found here I recall reading that when the Geo System was first added to the firmware, there was a switch in the settings that allowed you to disable it. That has been done away with. I feel the same about this as Dirty Bird mentions in post #10 of the thread I linked to, "Odds on how long before that toggle disappears all together?"

Jeff
Edit: BTW, I've added my personal information to it and enabled it. Seriously, if I cause all hell to break out because I'm doing something stupid flying my P4P I'd rather they just come take me away.
2018-2-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

What amazes me about these measures is that DJI do not appear to see any need to inform or consult with the owners about them. No explanation either, really bad form.
2018-2-24
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-12-31 07:01
If this is put into the laws as requirement it would make a monopoly of DJI drones, not going to happen just like that.

Happy New Year.

Do you imagine DJI had this in mind? Pretty slick move really. Underhanded, but slick if it was their intent.

Jeff
2018-2-24
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-24 14:46
Do you imagine DJI had this in mind? Pretty slick move really. Underhanded, but slick if it was their intent.

Jeff

Yes i have no doubt about their intentions with some of those implementations, same with the Geo fence system.
I have nothing against this UUID transmission system but as long as i don't get any information on my display showing me other flyers nearby i really can't see the value of it.
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules