Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Mobile + iPhone 8
3963 11 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Hi,

i was researching for some info on the combo Osmo Mobile + iPhone 8 before i bought it, and i found some quite mixed reviews. Finally i still went for it, so let me share my experience with you here :-)

I took some test videos this afternoon. Handheld smooth pan videos from my nice iphone camera is something that i wanted for a long time. Impossibe without gimbal, even though the new iphones have optical stabilisation. The osmo does this quite well. After the video i noticed that the stick can be set to "slow speed", which probably makes the slow panning much easier.

I also tried walking with the Osmo Mobile, the resuting videos were not satisfying. I stil have some hope, some videos on Youtube show the "magnet trick", where a small magnet locks the optical stabilisation of the iPhone. I will try this asap. Some indoor tests show me that on the non-OSI front camera of the phone, the walking videos do work quite well. So it is possible.
2017-12-31
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Nice! Where's the snow?
2018-1-1
Use props
Illmaticz
lvl.1

Canada

Wow, its butter smooth.
2018-1-1
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-1-1 08:37
Nice! Where's the snow?

Hi! Warm weather is melting all my cinematic snow away, so i went into town for some test shots :-/

But the snow is coming back tonight
2018-1-1
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Illmaticz Posted at 2018-1-1 08:50
Wow, its butter smooth.

Yes, for this particular application its a great combo. The original iPhone 4K 60fps looks incredible, Youtube doesn't do it justice actually.

Still its very sad that the Osmo mobile + iPhone 8 combo cant be used for walking shots. Im really thinking about getting an iPhone SE or 6s only for the Osmo.

But first i will try the magnet trick.
2018-1-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Johnnie, nice footage.
Did you try the Ninja Walk? No matter what mobile device you attach, the vertical movement still needs to be controlled.
Please refer to the tutorial video below to use Osmo Mobile properly.

2018-1-1
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I had exactly the same worry, Johnnie.  I found that walking does get a bit bouncy.  I'd love to hear more about the magnet idea.  I also heard that you get some improvement if you use Filmic Pro.   Lastly, walking backwards while shooting seems to be as effective as the Ninja walk.  But what really shocked me (but made the Osmo a great tool for me) is that it IS VERY smooth on horseback - at not only a walk, but even when the horse is trotting.   Check out this one I did today:
2018-1-1
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-1 20:15
Hi Johnnie, nice footage.
Did you try the Ninja Walk? No matter what mobile device you attach, the vertical movement still needs to be controlled.
Please refer to the tutorial video below to use Osmo Mobile properly.

Hi Mindy,

thanks for your response!

yes, i tried that and of course it helps.

Nevertheless, the optical stabilisation on iPhones likes the 7plus, 8 or X cannot be turned off or be locked. A really simple test is to compare the front and back camera footage. The non-stabilised front camera delivers much smoother results for walking.

2018-1-2
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-1 21:19
I had exactly the same worry, Johnnie.  I found that walking does get a bit bouncy.  I'd love to hear more about the magnet idea.  I also heard that you get some improvement if you use Filmic Pro.   Lastly, walking backwards while shooting seems to be as effective as the Ninja walk.  But what really shocked me (but made the Osmo a great tool for me) is that it IS VERY smooth on horseback - at not only a walk, but even when the horse is trotting.   Check out this one I did today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnFnbWx4eMI

Hi, thats a really nice video!

Makes me wanna get back into horse-riding, used to do this many years back. Great sport.

What phone did you use?
2018-1-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

JohnnieTheCache Posted at 2018-1-2 00:40
Hi Mindy,

thanks for your response!

Johnnie, unfortunately, the OIS function seems cannot be disabled in iOS devices, we are also keeping optimizing our product, please use Ninja Walk to get more stable footage, thanks for your understanding.
2018-1-2
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

JohnnieTheCache Posted at 2018-1-2 00:45
Hi, thats a really nice video!

Makes me wanna get back into horse-riding, used to do this many years back. Great sport.

iPhone  8+.  I had kept my iPhone 6 to use with the OSMO, but the battery on that old one discharged really really quickly.  I had read about problems with the iPhone 8, but when I hooked it up, it worked perfectly.  Same thing with my Mavic Pro.
2018-1-2
Use props
JohnnieTheCache
lvl.4

Germany

Awesome, thats great news.

I sold my old iPhone 6 when i bought the iPhone 8, which i regret a bit now. Then again the battery was weak, so i guess i would have had the same issues.

I will keep testing a bit more. Either way there are many things the Osmo + iPhone8 combo does really well, so it was worth buying it. Getting perfectly stable footage while walking is maybe too much to expect.
2018-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules