SD card unknown error
4720 11 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyLuke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25935 ft
Switzerland

This error message frequently pops up. I am using the 16 GB extreme which shipped with the Mavic. Pulling off the card and restarting the drone usually solves temporarily the issue. Yet the videos that are taken during the flight are almost alcorrupted on the card (though preview on my phone is ok).

Just wanted to know if someone already experienced this ? I will replace the card but I fear the card is ok but the Mavic is not. How can I check this ?

Thanks
2017-12-31
Use props
fans25720b1a
New
Flight distance : 2864 ft

Ireland

Are you having any gimbal disconnections?.
2017-12-31
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Before replacing the card, try reformatting it inside the Mavic (not on a computer). You may have just had a bad format and the card may work fine after being properly formatted.
2017-12-31
Use props
SkyLuke
lvl.1
Switzerland

fans25720b1a Posted at 2017-12-31 14:04
Are you having any gimbal disconnections?.

No gimbal disconnections. Just writing to the SD card which seems problematic.
2018-1-1
Use props
SkyLuke
lvl.1
Switzerland

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-12-31 16:36
Before replacing the card, try reformatting it inside the Mavic (not on a computer). You may have just had a bad format and the card may work fine after being properly formatted.

Tried both (computer + inside Mavic). Even when the sd card error is not reported, I get some corruption on the sd card. Tried to take two sequences "on the ground" to check the camera. One is ok; the second is corrupted/unreadable (as if part of the file has been removed).
2018-1-1
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

In my experience mate, you need those U3 cars eh?
2018-1-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

SkyLuke Posted at 2018-1-1 01:21
Tried both (computer + inside Mavic). Even when the sd card error is not reported, I get some corruption on the sd card. Tried to take two sequences "on the ground" to check the camera. One is ok; the second is corrupted/unreadable (as if part of the file has been removed).

How are you reading the data off the card?
2018-1-1
Use props
skyluke9
lvl.1
Switzerland

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-1-1 10:53
How are you reading the data off the card?

Mounting it on my computer, copying the files to the disk. I would normally do this with Lightroom, but as Lightroom complained about corrupted files I also tried to copy the files manually and open them with Windows Media Player. Some of them will parly work (but be shorter than what was previewed in DJI GO), some don't even appear as valid video files (probably the header gets corrupted in that case).
2018-1-1
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

skyluke9 Posted at 2018-1-1 13:20
Mounting it on my computer, copying the files to the disk. I would normally do this with Lightroom, but as Lightroom complained about corrupted files I also tried to copy the files manually and open them with Windows Media Player. Some of them will parly work (but be shorter than what was previewed in DJI GO), some don't even appear as valid video files (probably the header gets corrupted in that case).

Ok, a couple things:

You should always format the card in the Mavic.

I'm trying to rule out corruption that happens when you attempt to transfer files from the card to your PC, as some have reported having problems with slower USB hubs and problematic Windows drivers.

Video on Go 4 is not the same video as what's on the MicroSD card, unless you've manually downloaded the video to Go 4 (and this only works with video resolution formats your smart device can handle, which varies from device to device) -- this is why a downlink video may preview fine on your phone but appear corrupted on the card.

Most smart devices can handle 1080/30 video, so you could try shooting at 1080/30 and then seeing if it can be successfully downloaded to Go 4, and comparing that attempt to directly connecting your PC to the card. If Go 4 download works, but transfer to the PC fails, then you've got a problem in the transfer chain. If Go 4 downloaded video proves to be corrupt, then you might have a bad card or a firmware issue. In that case of the former there are some things you can try:

if you are connecting the Mavic via cable to a USB hub, try connecting it directly to your desktop, bypassing the hub.

If you are connecting the MicroSD card to a card reader that's not integrated into your desktop/laptop and that's not connected to a hub, try a different card reader. If it's connected to a hub try bypassing the hub.

If you have access to another computer that has an integrated card reader, give that a try.

If you can confirm the video is corrupt on the card, and not failing to download because of format compatibility problems with your phone, then if an appropriate replacement card doesn't solve the issue, you can try restoring your Mavic's firmware. I had a problem a few versions back with corrupted image files that I fixed in this way, although it took several passes of refreshing the Mavic to solve the issue.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
2018-1-1
Use props
SkyLuke
lvl.1
Switzerland

Thanks Ex Machina for all these usefull suggestions.

So far I was taking the SD card out of the Mavic and plugging it into a micro SD adapter to the SD card reader of my computer (not of the phone). I tried a few micro SD adapters with no luck. Since the only other micro SD card I had was not fast enough for 4K I switched to 1080/30 as you suggested (also tried reseting camera settings). Worked well so my flow of with the SD card looks ok. I also tried to plug the Mavic through USB and it also worked. Now I switched back to the problematic SD card and made a couple of shoots and it worked.

And there I am lost... The file which I copied on my hard disk yesterday is different from the one I now see on the card (it has some more 30 MB ...) ! So it seems to confirm there was a read error on that card (and now it's gone, don't know why). We can probably exclude that there is some caching in the Mavic which would lead to files not being written properly if you power down the plane too quickly after having stopped the video ? And I don't see reasons either that the SD card would magically work after having plugged the Mavic though USB ? The reset of the camera ? Changing the framerate ?

Anyway, the card still seems somehow problematic in the sense that recording stops after 10 seconds or so, as if it could not follow the datarate (even though it's a SanDisk Extreme). Doesn't look very reliable. Anyway I should have a brand new 64 GB Extreme by tomorrow to continue experiments.
2018-1-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Huh. Powering off the AC before stopping video recording will def result in file corruption -- I've done that a couple times myself. Admins here have suggested that putting the card with the improperly closed file back in the AC and restarting will sometimes fix the problem file; I guess on reboot a filesystem check is performed and fixes applied when possible?

Heads up on your 64GB card, people are reporting weirdness when the card is more than half-full: Photos Not Downloading to Phone and Can't Access Library
2018-1-2
Use props
mario.a.castror
New
Colombia

I have the same issue. My 16GB Sony SD Card that came with the Drone works fine, but recently bought a 32GB Verbatim and the Drone does not recognize it. Can´t format it netiher.
2019-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules