P4P now or wait for P5 ?
1089 9 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mbre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32454 ft
Canada

Hesitating to hit the order button for a P4P now with free second battery or to wait for the rumoured P5.
I won't be using the P4P much for a few months in eastern Canada - the temperature where I am is -24C right now !
Any advice or guesses on when the P5 will be available?

Also, I was considering ordering the RE goggles instead of the standed DJI goggles, so I could use them with my other RC equipment.  Any advice?

Lastly, do I need to separately order a cable to connect my Original iPad air (lightning) to the P4P controller?

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if it is before UTC -8 tonight 31 December!

2017-12-31
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

since they released the obsidian, dont think a P5 will be releasing soon. Yes you will need buy a cable separate to connect your Orginal Ipad Air
2017-12-31
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Unless you're a hardcore RC hobbyist there's not much of flying time in Canada anyway, 5 months max. Do not expect anything revolutionary with P5 either, which may hit the market before Summer 2018 perhaps. This is just an assumption based on typical DJI marketing strategy, not on official announcement.

Are you sure goggles is the way you want to go? Not that there's anything particularly wrong with this concept, but you may consider CrystalSky monitoring as more comfortable way of controlling P4P.

Bottom line: P4P will give you amazing flying dynamics and picture quality for the money, absolutely the best in this class for good 2-3 years ahead. Anything significantly better will rise price bar much higher, i.e. Inspire 2 class. Go for this deal now, IMHO.
2017-12-31
Use props
mbre
lvl.2
Canada

Bago and Matthew - thanks for your very timely and useful input.  That decides it - I hit the order button, but for now without the goggles.
Thanks guys.
2017-12-31
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

mbre Posted at 2017-12-31 13:41
Bago and Matthew - thanks for your very timely and useful input.  That decides it - I hit the order button, but for now without the goggles.
Thanks guys.

Welcome to the drone club, cant wait to see your photos
2017-12-31
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I would definitely recommend the RE goggles for sure. I have the original goggles and they're magnificent, but I already wish I'd gotten the RE version because I have a bunch of older copters running on 5.8ghz analog SD that I'd like to use on the big screen.
As for the P4P, DJI did cripple the firmware when it comes to using the goggles with it - you have to initialize the aircraft on a tablet first to unlock the silly 30-meter restriction, then unplug and plug in the goggles. So it's a little bit of a hassle to use the goggles with it. But the video downlink is fantastic especially at 1080p. So it's definitely worth it.

I wouldn't wait, if you need the phantom now it's a pretty good ship despite the busted firmware.
2017-12-31
Use props
Ericmacfan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 233927 ft
United States

Just ordered a P4P+ obsidian black to replace my P3 4K. Cannot wait ! Where in canada are you ? I am in Montreal
2018-1-1
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'd look at the Mavic Pro Platinum and save some money, my P4P barely gets any use now since I got the MPP.

The MPP is less cumbersome, much quieter and less obtrusive, it  draws less attention to itself
It's easier to pack and carry and has equal or better the flight performance in standard conditions.
2018-1-2
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go for it. When and if there will be a P5 could be a long wait. Yes you will need a cable for your iPad.
2018-1-2
Use props
mbre
lvl.2
Canada

I ordered a P4P in early 2018 but decided to cancel the order when a friend told me about the upcoming Mavic 2.  
It was a long wait - I ordered my M2P (+RE goggles and Flymore combo) in the autumn of 2018, but boy I am happy with the outcome.
What an amazing piece of kit - and a never ending learning experience.  Certainly the evolving drone regulations in Canada have complicated matters, but I have my Canadian drone pilot’s license and registered my drone/planes, even if it turned out not to be necessary with the MAAC (Canadian equivalent of US AMA) exemption from the regulations.

I am having sooo much fun with this thing, but I have to admit it is a money pit with post-editing software and potential PC upgrades!
2019-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules