Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is this motor in need of replacement? Please help!
2565 19 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

i recently got into an accident with my Phantom 3 pro where it hit a wall, flipped over, and produced a loud squealing noise. i quickly ran to shut it down and notice a little puff of smoke coming from one of the motors. i then let it cool down, did a few tests, and everything seems to be working fine. I am hesisitant to take it up to high altitiudes in fear that the motor will fail. By the looks of the image below, can someone tell me if it need to be replaced or is it still safe to fly.

IMG_7625.JPG
IMG_7626.JPG
IMG_7627.JPG
motor.JPG
2017-12-31
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

I wouldn't trust that motor - it looks to have cooked the enamel on some of the windings. It may fail (short) in flight and give you crash damage to deal with too

The motor ESC might not take to kindly either if it does short.
2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

G Davidson Posted at 2017-12-31 11:56
I wouldn't trust that motor - it looks to have cooked the enamel on some of the windings. It may fail (short) in flight and give you crash damage to deal with too

The motor ESC might not take to kindly either if it does short.

Thanks for the advice! Is it wise for me to replace it myself or send it back to DJI?
2017-12-31
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

J.Rose Posted at 2017-12-31 12:05
Thanks for the advice! Is it wise for me to replace it myself or send it back to DJI?

That's a tough one... if under warranty you'd invalidate the warranty. If out of warranty it all depends on your skill and confidence in doing it. I have heard stories where getting the enamel off the motor wires where they solder to the ESC/main board has been challenging.

I've not had to do this myself on a Phantom but others here may be better able to give advice from experience

P.S. I'm hoping the motor did not get hot enough to melt/distort the plastic arm beneath it.
2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

G Davidson Posted at 2017-12-31 12:14
That's a tough one... if under warranty you'd invalidate the warranty. If out of warranty it all depends on your skill and confidence in doing it. I have heard stories where getting the enamel off the motor wires where they solder to the ESC/main board has been challenging.

I've not had to do this myself on a Phantom but others here may be better able to give advice from experience

okay, thanks! and no, the arm is perfectly fine, when i went to touch the motor after it went down it was cool enough for me to tough but too hot for me to keep my finger on it. everything else on the drone is in great shape! by the way, do you happen to know how long it take for repairs to be done with DJI?
2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

Is this motor in need of replacement? Please help!

i recently got into an accident with my Phantom 3 pro where it hit a wall, flipped over, and produced a loud squealing noise. i quickly ran to shut it down and notice a little puff of smoke coming from one of the motors. i then let it cool down, did a few tests, and everything seems to be working fine. I am hesisitant to take it up to high altitiudes in fear that the motor will fail. By the looks of the image below, can someone tell me if it need to be replaced or is it still safe to fly.

2017-12-31
Use props
G Davidson
Captain
United Kingdom

J.Rose Posted at 2017-12-31 12:24
okay, thanks! and no, the arm is perfectly fine, when i went to touch the motor after it went down it was cool enough for me to tough but too hot for me to keep my finger on it. everything else on the drone is in great shape! by the way, do you happen to know how long it take for repairs to be done with DJI?

You're very welcome I've been fortunate in not having needed a repair so can't speak from experience. However someone else here may have a rough idea - from what I have read, a few weeks is not uncommon.
2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

2017-12-31
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, the copper motor winding is fried... Time for a new motor...

Did up you get it caught while the motor was still trying to turn?

RedHotPoker
2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-12-31 12:32
Yes, the copper motor winding is fried... Time for a new motor...

Did up you get it caught while the motor was still trying to turn?

yes it did get caught
2017-12-31
Use props
Phantom One
Captain
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

I would definitely replace.  Although I have not changed out a motor yet; I will be replacing them myself if or when that time comes..
2017-12-31
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never done it myself, but this guy makes it look do-able.

2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

Phantom One Posted at 2017-12-31 12:49
I would definitely replace.  Although I have not changed out a motor yet; I will be replacing them myself if or when that time comes..

thanks for the help!

2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-12-31 15:16
I've never done it myself, but this guy makes it look do-able.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SiochD3K4

thanks for the vid, really appreciate the help!
2017-12-31
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

J.Rose Posted at 2017-12-31 15:19

Motor replacement is absolutely doable and there's tons of YT video showing how to take the shell apart an so. Certainly you must be skilled DIY dude, since just re-soldering power wires is a challenge in this case. I did shell replacement recently, been there, did that ...
2017-12-31
Use props
Siambuddhas Gro
First Officer
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

See smoke just change it.. safety reasons for yourself n othere
2017-12-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Rose, there might be potential threaten and the performance can not be ensured. I'd suggest to start a case and send it in for fully repair: https://www.dji.com/support
2017-12-31
Use props
J.Rose
lvl.1

U.S. Virgin Islands

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-12-31 22:25
Hi Rose, there might be potential threaten and the performance can not be ensured. I'd suggest to start a case and send it in for fully repair: https://www.dji.com/support

thank you so much!
2017-12-31
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

J.Rose Posted at 2017-12-31 15:19

Aloha J,

See the wires from the motors in the video?  You do not have to solder the new motor wires on to the ESC/Mainboard.  You can optionally just crimp or solder the new motor wires to the old motor wires coming off of the ESC/Mainboard, midway in the arms, where you have a lot of room to work.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-1-1
Use props
adam
New

Pakistan

The motor looks like it overheated due to some issue and melted the epoxy. I wouldn't trust that motor.
You can check our website for replacement parts.

Adam - Technical Advisor at Dronerr Parts, the place to buy all your drone replacement parts.
https://Dronerr.co.uk

2018-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules