Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drain batteries down completely?
2537 9 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

It seems I read somewhere you are supposed to run your batteries down completely once in a while.  Is this true?   If this is needed do you just leave it on until it's fully drained? I have a Spark and a Phanom 3 4K
Thanks

2017-12-31
Use props
Illmaticz
lvl.1

Canada

I don't know the science behind this. With lithium ion batteries its good to get a full charge cycle once a month or so.
2018-1-1
Use props
Steve2017Newbie
lvl.2
United States

Illmaticz Posted at 2018-1-1 08:49
I don't know the science behind this. With lithium ion batteries its good to get a full charge cycle once a month or so.

You use to do it with camera batteries. It erased the batteries memory. But with the modern batteries, you don't need to do it anymore  
2018-1-2
Use props
VenomousSVT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5492 ft
United States

with LiPo batteries you do NOT want to run them down below 3.0v per cell.. us having a 3 cell battery would mean not less than 9v total.

It damages the cells to drop below 3v per cell.  I would imagine 0% on the sparks battery would actually be limited with a lipo cutoff meaning the lowest it will allow voltage to drop would be roughly 3v per cell.
2018-1-8
Use props
MedicFL1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4358570 ft
  • >>>
United States

Discharge to 5% every 20 flights  (or cycles) is what I've been doing and they work just fine.
Warranty is for 200 cycles in general.
I fly to 10% where it will try to force land, then hold left stick up accordingly to discharge the remainder, down to 5%.
Let them "rest" before re-charging .
Data on batteries health can also be seen on some apps, like airdata.com  .
2018-1-13
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Must to add to the mayhem...

Apparently, from what I've read in forum posts, the more-modern DJI batteries are set up so that 0% is not actually 0%.  This makes it very difficult to get your battery down below the catastrophic 3.0v cell level.  This also explains how sometimes you might read that 5% is an appropriate deep discharge level, whereas it used to be 8% a few years ago.

2018-1-14
Use props
N9IWJ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28973 ft
United States

No do not run them dead dead it harms them good videos on YouTube on this with drone valley
2018-1-20
Use props
Dorset_Horn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Kind of a side-issue to the OP's, but am I right in thinking if you haven't flown in a week or so (we've cr@p weather here for a few weeks), you should re-charge batteries/RC etc?
2018-1-25
Use props
luciens
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-1-14 07:01
Must to add to the mayhem...

Apparently, from what I've read in forum posts, the more-modern DJI batteries are set up so that 0% is not actually 0%.  This makes it very difficult to get your battery down below the catastrophic 3.0v cell level.  This also explains how sometimes you might read that 5% is an appropriate deep discharge level, whereas it used to be 8% a few years ago.

this seems to be true. I usually take my batts down to about 35-30% as it's reported in the telemetry, but the cells are around 3.8v resting. On a LiPo, that normally corresponds to a little over 50% total capacity left in the batt.
On all my other regular LiPos, I put in just under half of the stated mah-capacity of the batt if I run them down to 3.8v.

So yes the smart logic in the DJI batts probably gives more of a usable-without-destroying-me percentage left rather than the total capacity period. I've only gotten down to about 10% one time and the resting voltage was still around 3.7v, which is fine....
2018-1-25
Use props
Easy Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41414 ft
United States

nicely done - thanks for sharing.
2018-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules