Is My DJI Battery Bad? Quick Video Inside
4783 9 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CraigArtzner
lvl.2
United States

Just got a new battery for Christmas from RobotShop and it won't charge and won't power up my drone. Am I missing something?  Here's a quick video:

2017-12-31
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

If the 1st LED not blinking before the battery shuts down the charging normal but this is not normal. Do you have that issue with your 1st battery or not?
May be anything goes wrong in the electronic(resistor or anything else is possibly broken). May be it´s a charger issue. Check the output voltage of the charger first.
2017-12-31
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

OK ...

That looks like the battery may have gone into Hibernation Mode ...

So try this :

Battery without charger ............. switch on by double press as normal ... ignore lights or no lights ............ DON'T do anything else .... LEAVE it alone for 5 minutes.

At 5 minutes do not touch power button - plug in the DJI charger ... ONLY a DJI original charger ! (Other chargers will not 'bump it into life') ...

Put the battery down and leave it alone - don't touch it at all .... just leave it to wake up. It could take a minute or it could take an hour ... just leave it alone ....

If nothing happens after a couple of hours ......... then contact seller for replacement !!

Nigel
2018-1-1
Use props
CraigArtzner
lvl.2
United States

Ok I’ll try the method described above. And to the previous poster, no my original battery that came with the drone did not have this issue. I’ve never dealt with a battery in hibernation mode nor did I know it existed until reading about it here.
2018-1-1
Use props
AlanHd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I had a new battery do the same, I had to switch the battery on before connecting the charger to get it to charge, after a couple of flight and chargers it started to behave normally.
2018-1-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Its all in the manuals ..................

Cheers and hope it solves the problem ...

Nigel
2018-1-1
Use props
CraigArtzner
lvl.2
United States

Well that didn't work. Battery still acting funny. I tried charging it in both my DJI home charger that came with my drone, and also with my aftermarket car charger, and the battery acts the same way with either one. I've been using both my chargers just fine with my original battery and it works fine. The problem has to be in the new battery. Guess I'll wait until tomorrow to see what RobotShop has to say about it. Thanks for the suggestions.
2018-1-1
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

The main point with waking up a hibernating battery is that the switch on and leave for 5 minutes is the key. That must be done on EVERY attempt before connecting to charger. And it only works with a DJI charger ... I have all sorts of programmable and fancy chargers to do my DJI and other LiPo's - but none will do it ... it has to be the DJI one.

That's about it I think ... talk to seller - try get replacement.

Nigel
2018-1-1
Use props
CraigArtzner
lvl.2
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-1-1 08:36
The main point with waking up a hibernating battery is that the switch on and leave for 5 minutes is the key. That must be done on EVERY attempt before connecting to charger. And it only works with a DJI charger ... I have all sorts of programmable and fancy chargers to do my DJI and other LiPo's - but none will do it ... it has to be the DJI one.

That's about it I think ... talk to seller - try get replacement.

Sorry for the late reply, the seller replaced the battery.
2018-10-28
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

CraigArtzner Posted at 2018-10-28 07:39
Sorry for the late reply, the seller replaced the battery.

THAT is the best solution and good for you ...

Tip : When charging your battery ... switch on first - then plug in charger ... even if the battery is well below default point ...

Why ?

I have noted that charging without switching on first has the charge terminate a slight bit before 100%. Not always - but often I noticed 97 .. 98% quoted in the app on powering up.

Switching on first even when battery is in low charge condition - allowed the battery to get to 100% consistently according to Go App.
I even metered the batterys and I had that last little bit when switched on.

What is this Switch On bit ? The battery control board will not allow charging of the battery if its about 93% and higher. Its some arbitrary factor DJi have programmed in.  But switching on first will over-ride that limit and charger is allowed to charge even when battery is near full.

OK - last tip :

People use the LED's to see how charged the battery is ... UGH !! It's not that good .. Why ? The FULL on LED represents 25% increment ... flashing LED represents 12.5% increment ... so in effect four FULL on LED's does not mean you have 100% charge ... DJI manual states that four full on LED's indicate 87.5% to 100% charge .... WOW !! that's one hell of a gap ...
Only a meter or the APP will give you a reasonable check of actual charge.
It is also why I always reckon to charge up again as close to flight time as possible using the switch on method ... you'll be surprised to see charge even if charged night before !

Nigel
2018-10-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules