2540 16 2017-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi folks, i am seriously toying with the idea of goggles, as to which, i have a choice of 3 and one is the DJI.

With goggles in mind i added the HDMI module to my P4P controller, i thought they were needed for DJI goggles
I also have the NVIDIA Shield K1 that has USB and HDMI

I have read that the HDMI from the controller does not show the telemetry on the DJI goggles, with that in mind, does this render the HDMI module that i paid 80 quid for useless? more so cause i beleive that i can now use the HDMI from the Shield and that will give me 1080 and telemetry? but, still have no control from the goggles, is that correct?

Am i right in thinking that the DJI goggles actually have dji go built in to them? therefore no need to use the tablet? or have i missed something,  because if you are controller usb to goggles then you are not conencted to the table?

Does not appear overly simples to me :/

2017-12-31
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Bashy,

Happy New Year!  Goggles are great but they do have limitations.  The DJI Goggles are an extension of the remote controller and tablet and do not have the app installed in them.  The connection with a Mavic vs the connection with a P4 Pro are very different.  The P4 Pro requires a HDMI cable.  

Telemetry is shown in all goggles unless you disable them or are even able to disable them.  The nVidia  Shield K1 displays are reproduced in goggles as they look on the tablet.  There is no option to include or not include telemetry.  But, the DJI GO 4 app offers a "Full" screen option with a swipe that makes the telemetry disappear on the tablet display.  However, the HDMI module has an option in the DJI GO 4 app that allows you to include or not include the telemetry data.

Unfortunately, the HDMI module for the P3 and P4 series only displays 720p resolution.  The nVivia Shield K1 and CrystalSky displays have HDMI that is 1080p resolution.  The DJI Goggles do not always display 1080p.  If the action is fast, the DJI Goggles will reduce resolution to 720p until the action slows down again.  

Finally, the P4 Pro requires a HDMI cable to the DJI Goggles (or other goggles) and a USB cable to the tablet.  Using the P4 Pro+ (plus) built in HDMI port with 1080p resolution is supposed to be great for the DJI Goggles (again with cable).

I know this can be confusing but there are some underlying principles involved that do simplify things, but you have to really get into it and spend a lot of time on the subject.  Still I get corrected because things change over time on top of it all.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-1-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Cetacean, Happy New Year to you and yours....

Thank you for the informative post, if i understand you correctly,

1, The tablet must be connected to the controller during use with p4p
2, The  goggles (dji) can be connected using either the RC or the K1?
.......if so, is that down to choice or are their limitations to either?
3, Is the HDMI from P4P to Goggles (dji) video only, i.e. you cannot control from the goggles?

Sorry for the questions, i am drawn between DJI, fatshark (HD3) and the Epson Moverio BT-300 (a lot dearer) and i trying to make the best decision that suits me, at present, the DJI are last on the list unless the features can out weigh the need to carry another bag
2018-1-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-1 02:21

Have a read of post 6 on this other thread regarding DJI goggles, it might give you additional information:-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=127040
2018-1-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you Aardvark , and for your reply on their too, it looks like the best route to go is USB then and i will have use of all options and features with the DJI goggles (limitations i do know about too), the only downside is the size factor, i have all my equipment in my Manfrotto D1, no matter how i try, there is just no room for the DJI Goggles in there, so, now its a case of weighing up all the features of them against portability, i am a stickler for wanting everything in one place, Its a shame there is no option to manipulate the top  divider in to such a way as to make it into one large section, this is not possible, the controller sections sees to that even though its removable. Questions answered, questions raised, its certainly a dilly of a pickle....

One last if i may, do you use the in-goggle options a lot or do you find yourself going to the tablet?

2018-1-1
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-1 21:44
Thank you Aardvark , and for your reply on their too, it looks like the best route to go is USB then and i will have use of all options and features with the DJI goggles (limitations i do know about too), the only downside is the size factor, i have all my equipment in my Manfrotto D1, no matter how i try, there is just no room for the DJI Goggles in there, so, now its a case of weighing up all the features of them against portability, i am a stickler for wanting everything in one place, Its a shame there is no option to manipulate the top  divider in to such a way as to make it into one large section, this is not possible, the controller sections sees to that even though its removable. Questions answered, questions raised, its certainly a dilly of a pickle....

One last if i may, do you use the in-goggle options a lot or do you find yourself going to the tablet?

I've not had the chance to get out much recently between the weather and family, so have only used them a few time with P4 and the Mavic. The need for a spotter also plays a part in that :-)

In terms of visibility of display and detail on display the goggles would win every time. Regarding switching control options, I'm comfortable using the swipe (and more comfortable using tablet :-) ). But haven't built up the hands on experience yet during flight using the goggles touch panel.
2018-1-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers chap, i appreciate it
2018-1-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-1 02:21

Aloha Bashy,

The FatShark HD3 is by far over rated.  All the Fatshark Goggles are not even 720p.  But they do have near instantaneous delivery of their sub-HD video.  Junk but fast.  But even then with DJI products, the FatShark goggles have to use an HDMI cable so the cable determines the lag and that will be the same as the other goggles.  For FatShark you are paying for the name, not any decent or necessary performance.

As noted with the FatShark, you have to decide if you want high resolution in your goggles.  In my opinion, high resolution is everything.  I have a pair of Eachine Goggles Two that are 1080p ($140 US).  I put 3 diopter reading glasses (round John Lennon style) in them and get a 20/20 experience.  You are on your own with the Epsons as I have limited experience with them but some on the Forum swear by them.

The DJI Goggles are very interesting but there is much confusion about their use with the Mavic, which they were designed for and the P4P and Inspire series, etc. which they were not designed for.  The manual has a table that shows how that will work.  

Please note that not all functions are currently available but I did read recently that the P4 Pro and Advanced now have head tracking.  The Inspire 1 is not scheduled to ever have head tracking.    Also, only the Mavic has OcuSync for wireless connections with the Goggles (maybe Spark?).

One point of confusion you are dealing with is, "Are they a substitute tablet?"  They are not.  You can directly use the DJI Goggles to initiate certain Intelligent Flight Modes, but they are not a substitute for a tablet.  You need a tablet to take-off and land and access the details of the system you choose to fly with them.  

I see Aardvark has managed many of your questions and he has the DJI Goggles.  I hope my points supplement Aardvark's comments.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-1-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks again for the detailed reply and yes, it helps, now only if you could male them smaller, it looks like i am just going to have to put up with the size and find a small enough bag/case that i can attatch to the D backpack, i cannot edit types, lost mouse on lappy, need to reboot it lol
2018-1-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-2 23:29
Thanks again for the detailed reply and yes, it helps, now only if you could male them smaller, it looks like i am just going to have to put up with the size and find a small enough bag/case that i can attatch to the D backpack, i cannot edit types, lost mouse on lappy, need to reboot it lol

And bear in mind that they work well for watching films & video, and viewing computer games or Applications via the HDMI.
2018-1-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I already have a 50" tv in a small room, not overly sure i would want to sit there for 3 hours watching Smaug with those on me be bonce lol Having said that what would the TV size in comparison be?
2018-1-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 2018-1-3 21:05
I already have a 50" tv in a small room, not overly sure i would want to sit there for 3 hours watching Smaug with those on me be bonce lol Having said that what would the TV size in comparison be?

If you stand about two feet in front of your 50" screen that will give you some idea, the image is quite immersive with an 85 degree FOV. Best thing would be to go to a local supplier (Maplins, John Lewis (2 year warranty)) and ask for a demo, there are some demonstration videos embedded in the firmware. It's a ten second job to power up and switch to demo mode with practice.
2018-1-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Crikey, that is big
2018-1-4
Use props
fans24b30250
lvl.1

United States

I have the white goggles and Mavic Pro. Can someone tell me what the Telemetry readout stands for and can you change it to miles instead of meters? Below are the abbreviations of the telemetry. Pretty sure VS stands for Vertical Speed and HS stands for Horizontal Speed. There's nothing in the manual that explains this.
VPS
VS
HS
D
H
2018-12-31
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans24b30250 Posted at 12-31 04:36
I have the white goggles and Mavic Pro. Can someone tell me what the Telemetry readout stands for and can you change it to miles instead of meters? Below are the abbreviations of the telemetry. Pretty sure VS stands for Vertical Speed and HS stands for Horizontal Speed. There's nothing in the manual that explains this.
VPS
VS

VPS = Visual Positioning System; this displays the height detected by the ultrasonic transducers to the surface below the aircraft.  This will disappear if above VPS limits (which for Mavic Pro is 13m)

VS = Verticle Speed

HS = Horizontal Speed

D = Horizontal distance from home point

H = Verticle distance from home point

Telemetry - Copy.PNG
2018-12-31
Use props
fans24b30250
lvl.1

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-12-31 10:22
VPS = Visual Positioning System; this displays the height detected by the ultrasonic transducers to the surface below the aircraft.  This will disappear if above VPS limits (which for Mavic Pro is 13m)

VS = Verticle Speed

Thanks! Any ideas on how to change to telemetry from metric to Standard (Miles/Feet)?
2019-1-2
Use props
fans24b30250
lvl.1

United States

fans24b30250 Posted at 1-2 04:18
Thanks! Any ideas on how to change to telemetry from metric to Standard (Miles/Feet)?

BUMP... I'd really like to get my telemetry off metric and on Imperial. The controller is on Imperial and my phone is reading Imperial. Why won't the goggles do the same???
2019-1-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules