Question about the motors
946 13 2018-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zsolti
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

Hi. I've noticed the other day while I was inspecting the motors that there's some kind of paste looking thing in the motors. Is this normal or are the motors developing some issues? I'd appreciate if some of you guys would check if yours has the same or not since I didn't find any close up pictures of the motors on google to compare with mine.

IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG
2018-1-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

There was somebody on the other site that had posted some photos like this yesterday but I can't find the thread now...

As I remember, most advised to replace the motor(s), but nobody seemed to know for sure what had melted...
2018-1-1
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Just looks like the epoxy used to seal the cable winding ends to me.
2018-1-1
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-1-1 06:49
There was somebody on the other site that had posted some photos like this yesterday but I can't find the thread now...

As I remember, most advised to replace the motor(s), but nobody seemed to know for sure what had melted...

here:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-127089-1-2.html
2018-1-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Well done, sir.
2018-1-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

MerlinL14 Posted at 2018-1-1 09:45

Are you saying the epoxy melted, or are you saying that's the way it came new... ?  Do you think it's good the way it is?  Thanks
2018-1-1
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My thought would be some kind of thermal paste to dissipate heat. They use a similar thing in high end pc components. Just checked my P4A and Sparky with a torch and nothing as noticeable as your images. How old is your drone ??
2018-1-1
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Romania

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-1-1 06:49
There was somebody on the other site that had posted some photos like this yesterday but I can't find the thread now...

Yes I saw that thread too, but mine doesn't look fried, it looks like hot glue to me and it is visible in all motors. I wonder if anyone else has it, maybe it is some kind of epoxy... well I hope it is
2018-1-1
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Romania

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-1-1 10:45
My thought would be some kind of thermal paste to dissipate heat. They use a similar thing in high end pc components. Just checked my P4A and Sparky with a torch and nothing as noticeable as your images. How old is your drone ??

I hope it's just that, I would hate having to send it back again after it spent 3 months in the service last summer for a faulty camera and cracked shell. The drone is one year old
2018-1-1
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Romania

MerlinL14 Posted at 2018-1-1 09:45

Can you guys please check yours with a torch or something, I'm really hoping it is normal for all Phantoms
2018-1-1
Use props
G Davidson
First Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Zsolti Posted at 2018-1-1 11:17
Can you guys please check yours with a torch or something, I'm really hoping it is normal for all Phantoms

I have something similar on my P3A - I agree with Merlin... I suspect it's epoxy resin to secure the motor windings where the leads exit the motor. i.e. where the enamelled wire leaves the bobbin/stator and needs support to stop it fatiguing through vibration.

The blob size probably varies from motor to motor depending how much was applied.
2018-1-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

So we're thinking it's nothing to worry about... ?
2018-1-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wouldn't worry about this - it's def epoxy - perhaps a little too much has been applied on your motors but it won't cause issues
2018-1-1
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Romania

Thanks guys
2018-1-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules