Motor Obstructed - Can I fix it myself?
4900 6 2018-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
whannah
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14026 ft
United States

I already contacted DJI about this and haven't heard back yet, but I'm curious what others have to say about this.

After changing a cracked propellor on my spark I tried to launch, and after a few seconds the spark seemed to lose power and tumble. Unfortunately, I had flown off the edge of a tall deck and it came crashing down onto concrete. It seemed ok, but then when trying to re-launch it gave me a message about the motor being obstructed.

Looking closely at the motors, it seems that the propellor shaft has been pushed down on the two left-side motors, which is what hit the ground first. This got me thinking that it might be a simple fix where I just pop the propellor shaft back into place. I looked at a dissaembly tutorial, and getting to the bottom of the motor seems like a trivial process with the right screwdriver, but I'm worried that this would invalidate my warranty.

Does anyone have experience with this issue?

thanks,
Walter
2018-1-2
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I am pretty sure that crashes that crack a propeller or impact a motor shaft void the warranty.  Your options would be to send it to DJI for repair, replace the motor for a new one from Amazon or ebay (I think it is soldered), or fiddle with trying to press the motor shaft back.   I think you can find brushless motor disassembly videos on the internet.  My bigger airplane motors have shafts that can be positioned with allen screws to protrude out the base or out the can to support mounting in either direction.  I am not sure these tiny Spark motors have that feature.
2018-1-2
Use props
whannah
lvl.1
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-2 09:42
I am pretty sure that crashes that crack a propeller or impact a motor shaft void the warranty.  Your options would be to send it to DJI for repair, replace the motor for a new one from Amazon or ebay (I think it is soldered), or fiddle with trying to press the motor shaft back.   I think you can find brushless motor disassembly videos on the internet.  My bigger airplane motors have shafts that can be positioned with allen screws to protrude out the base or out the can to support mounting in either direction.  I am not sure these tiny Spark motors have that feature.

I know some crashes can be fixed under warranty, depending on the flight log. If the crash was not operator error then the warranty might cover it. I'm more interested in whether the disassembly will void the warranty. I want to take it apart just to check if the shaft can be put back into place. I'm sure I can do this without breaking anything, but its definitely not worth it if it affects the warranty.
2018-1-2
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

whannah Posted at 2018-1-2 09:47
I know some crashes can be fixed under warranty, depending on the flight log. If the crash was not operator error then the warranty might cover it. I'm more interested in whether the disassembly will void the warranty. I want to take it apart just to check if the shaft can be put back into place. I'm sure I can do this without breaking anything, but its definitely not worth it if it affects the warranty.

Yeah, in that case you would need to use DJI care or make a claim under warranty and send it to them.  Too easy to mess up the motor or reconnect it so it turns backwards after you repair it.  DJI doesn't allow users to do any disassembly.  
2018-1-2
Use props
whannah
lvl.1
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-1-2 09:56
Yeah, in that case you would need to use DJI care or make a claim under warranty and send it to them.  Too easy to mess up the motor or reconnect it so it turns backwards after you repair it.  DJI doesn't allow users to do any disassembly.

ok, that's what I figured. I'll just wait till I hear back from them then. thanks.
2018-1-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

whannah Posted at 2018-1-2 09:47
I know some crashes can be fixed under warranty, depending on the flight log. If the crash was not operator error then the warranty might cover it. I'm more interested in whether the disassembly will void the warranty. I want to take it apart just to check if the shaft can be put back into place. I'm sure I can do this without breaking anything, but its definitely not worth it if it affects the warranty.

Hi, sir. Sorry to hear that you crash your drone, I would recommend you send it back for repair: http://www.dji.com/support. Thanks for your support.
2018-1-3
Use props
Arcicorsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 235892 ft
Czechia

It is not worth repairing the old engine .. Buy a new one is not expensive: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Origina ... :g:HgQAAOSwi5RaOLWe
2018-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules