is mid air crash possible?
1500 28 2018-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4b6ff2a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48927 ft
United Kingdom

I have read in the user manual that a combination of stick controls can cause your motors to stop in emergency

ie sticks held in same position as rotor start, both sticks held for 1.5 seconds.

I had seen on a you tube video that this is not true and does not work but i am really concerned about this.

What if i wanted to perform a combination of reducing altitude and going backwards left?  its not a move i may plan but may perform inadvertantly. motors stopped and no recovery.

Can anyone verify if the manual is correct, if so, isnt this a wee bit crazy?

any one tried this or fallen foul of it?

2018-1-2
Use props
Cookster670
lvl.4
Australia

A work colleague had this happen on his Phantom 3.   A friend was flying it, was doing some strange stick movements and it fell out of the sky and was destroyed.   DJI support confirmed it was because it invoked the emergency motor stop
2018-1-2
Use props
fans4b6ff2a4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-1-2 15:20
A work colleague had this happen on his Phantom 3.   A friend was flying it, was doing some strange stick movements and it fell out of the sky and was destroyed.   DJI support confirmed it was because it invoked the emergency motor stop

oh blimey that is not good.

2018-1-2
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Yup, Combination Stick Command (CSC) is totally possible on the Spark mid flight. It is scary, but necessary in an emergency situation. I'd rather CSC an out of control aircraft than chop someones face up or break a car windshield and deal with a lawsuit.
2018-1-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, sir. We would not recommend users use CSC unless your drone is in emergency. And it may cause crash using CSC in the mid air.
CSC.JPG
2018-1-2
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Since when is the CSC back on, on Spark?
I thought, did read about, 3 or 4 month ago, it got disactivated.
Who has ever tried it for 1.5 or more seconds in a height, that could get the result?
Also I have really trouble to see any reason,aside wanting to perform a CSC, to fly a downyawright-backwardsleft maneuver.
But that is only me, perhaps!
2018-1-2
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

I just think the CSC must add 1 logic condition, CSC if aircraft already on the ground,  then stop motor.
2018-1-2
Use props
S.J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

ASEPK Posted at 2018-1-2 20:26
I just think the CSC must add 1 logic condition, CSC if aircraft already on the ground,  then stop motor.

i can second that statement but with a little change.

Shut down aircraft with a larger delay say 5 seconds instead of 1.5 seconds but then if it is for emergency, the delay becomes invalid !!
2018-1-2
Use props
Mario_b
lvl.2
Flight distance : 977103 ft
Germany

It is one more Point where DJI have no fluent/consistent communication and informations . There are Posts saying it is not implemented any more, some Videos on Youtube trying to do it confirm that it not happend. On the other hand DJI here tell us, it is still there. On other Threads there was a time ago a discussion ends up in "it is removed".

It is one of the main Problem of the Spark: No clear Informations what is implemented, how it works. Many things are a guessing bassis ...

For me it is not clear if it is in and how it works. 1.5 Seconds in one position, why should this be a an abnormal command - i have a fear to take the next time my remote controll - maybe i touch accidently that command ;-(
2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

We have had this discussion recently and other times before. There are diverging views on whether this feature is useful or not. What I can assure because I have tested it myself is that it does not work in normal flight situations and it cannot be invoked accidentally. According to DJI the CSC will only work in emergency situations when Spark is facing serious errors. We have however no precise information what these situations would be.
2018-1-3
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Oh right, that was the point in my reading:
DJI  "said", the App will decide, if or if not CSC is a thing to shut down the engines in flight.
So if you see a helicopter coming your way, or a Cessna, you better 'Sport' full and down or up, cause I doubt the app will see that comin'
All test, that I have seen of a Spark CSC (videos), none where somehow in a situation (height), that it could be sucessful, methinks.
Not like the test with the mavic, which was some 100 feet up and even restarted (no tilt failsafe!!) mid air, no one really wanted to risk his Spark to get chrashed.
I wouldnt do that, too. But trying it from 2m, or 5, over no hard compound, will only initiate a spiral down. And a hard 'I safe my drone' reaction soon after.
As long noone give it a chance, for 5 or 10 seconds, .... ;-)
Who's first?
2018-1-3
Use props
Mario_b
lvl.2
Germany

"There are diverging views on whether this feature is useful or not."
Sure - isn't my point at the Moment.

"What I can assure because I have tested it myself is that it does not work in normal flight situations and it cannot be invoked accidentally. "
But there are reports that it could happen.

"According to DJI the CSC will only work in emergency situations when Spark is facing serious errors. We have however no precise information what these situations would be."
And this is exactly my Point "no precise information" ... it is like Ford tells you "Well if you break very hard, it could happen that the Brake will break all the time also when you get the feet of the pedal but we didn't tell you when this will happen" Suprise

We had this Discussion often is also only about the Fact "no precise Information" ... Customers will be lost in some fog and hope everything will go right. Great Strategy "Security through obscurity"

2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Mario_b Posted at 2018-1-3 05:00
"There are diverging views on whether this feature is useful or not."
Sure - isn't my point at the Moment.

There are no reports where it has happened.
2018-1-3
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

It wouldn't shut off in mid flight unless there's critical error and CSC is activated
2018-1-3
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-1-3 05:44
It wouldn't shut off in mid flight unless there's critical error and CSC is activated

And how could the app decide, that flying in the path of  a (p.ex) Black Hawk Chopper could be  a 'critical error'? ;-)
That would be p.o.v of the pilot, methinks.

Nevertheless, I totally support the idea that the user of this product need to know, what a critical error with a CSC option is.
Because otherwise you have to something different, but not after trying CSC for 5 seconds or such!
2018-1-3
Use props
nixuspix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Watch this video please:
2018-1-3
Use props
fans4b6ff2a4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Mario_b Posted at 2018-1-3 01:46
It is one more Point where DJI have no fluent/consistent communication and informations . There are Posts saying it is not implemented any more, some Videos on Youtube trying to do it confirm that it not happend. On the other hand DJI here tell us, it is still there. On other Threads there was a time ago a discussion ends up in "it is removed".

It is one of the main Problem of the Spark: No clear Informations what is implemented, how it works. Many things are a guessing bassis ...

My Thoughts exactly Mario b. a newbie especially might do this accidentally. what can't they add it somewhere else on the controller, i.e. the other function button.

if i drop out of the sky because of this i will claiming on DJI for a replacement
2018-1-3
Use props
fans4b6ff2a4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-3 05:11

see 1st reply in this thread
2018-1-3
Use props
fans4b6ff2a4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-3 05:11

2018-1-3
Use props
fans4b6ff2a4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

nixuspix Posted at 2018-1-3 06:20
Watch this video please:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCgcGXXMq0M

so this conflicts with the manual. i would have thought that the official manual would be correct. Come on DJI. please give us  a definitive answer on this one.
2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

fans4b6ff2a4 Posted at 2018-1-3 13:59

You should read it better. It's about a Phantom 3 which is a totally different device. Try CSC with your Spark yourself as I have done, then we can continue the discussion, ok? ;-)
2018-1-3
Use props
LouisP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I worried about doing that move by accident for about 10 seconds when I first got my spark.. but then I realized that it would never happen.. decending at full speed while yawing to the right  AND traveling backwards and to the left AND maintaining that weird input for over 1 1/2 seconds.. it is just not going to happen in real life.
2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

LouisP Posted at 2018-1-3 14:11
I worried about doing that move by accident for about 10 seconds when I first got my spark.. but then I realized that it would never happen.. decending at full speed while yawing to the right  AND traveling backwards and to the left AND maintaining that weird input for over 1 1/2 seconds.. it is just not going to happen in real life.

Exactly, I have tested it for much longer. It will enter in a stable helix downwards that can be controlled or stopped at any time. Nothing else will happen.
2018-1-3
Use props
fans4b6ff2a4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-3 14:06
You should read it better. It's about a Phantom 3 which is a totally different device. Try CSC with your Spark yourself as I have done, then we can continue the discussion, ok? ;-)

good point and reassuring, thank you captain.
2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

fans4b6ff2a4 Posted at 2018-1-3 14:51
good point and reassuring, thank you captain.

You are most welcome! :-)
2018-1-3
Use props
Mario_b
lvl.2
Germany

If we assume that this will not happen under normal Flight Conditions, it nothing change on my point: We didn't know if it will ever happen and under which conditions because DJI is us not telling, under which conditions it will happen.  
2018-1-3
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

Watch this video please:

Yes, but it is in VPS height control
Otherway it would have touched the ground sooner or later, after a couple of secs
Here it would make a lot of sense, in my eyes ,not to have a CSC option!
Has anyone tested it 'real'? ;-)
Like here for the Mavic?
2018-1-3
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

For the Mavic, there's a setting to enable CSC even when there's no error. I don't see that option on the spark
2018-1-4
Use props
ASEPK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35515 ft
Indonesia

Watch this video please:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCgcGXXMq0M

Thanks for your sharing
2018-2-13
Use props