Mavic Platinum Pro - jello effect on videos
4339 23 2018-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ropate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 856847 ft
Australia

hi all, i have just purchased a mavic platinum pro and right out of the box, when accelerating in any direction, there is a few seconds of jello like distortion on my recorded video.

this is both on the mobile device and on the sd card!

i have seen all of the youtube videos explaining the gimbal mount that sometime comes out and causes this, however my gimbal is fine!

see the short clip at 1:47 here:

any help appreciated.
2018-1-2
Use props
Range925
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Wow! though there is a flaw, great video! Awesome share!!!
2018-1-2
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

Range925 Posted at 2018-1-2 16:11
Wow! though there is a flaw, great video! Awesome share!!!

many thanks mate!!!  it's all about the subject, couldn't mess up when you're shooting something so gorgeous.

no idea regarding the weird jiggly effect?
2018-1-2
Use props
Jason WAI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

great video! nice place to visit !
2018-1-2
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Mavic is infamous for this effect, yours looks to be relatively minor, it may have just been some wind effecting the Gimbal, if it persists I would try an IMU calibration followed by a Gimbal calibration then a camera reset. This may cure the problem. My MP is plagued with jello, my only fix for the problem was to use Polar Pro Filter to get rid of it. I always fly with a filter on anyways so not a big enough deal to send it back and wait for the repair.

This is a video with the Motors off sitting on the ground.

2018-1-2
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

Jason WAI Posted at 2018-1-2 16:16
great video! nice place to visit !

thanks!! Here's an earlier one from the same trip

2018-1-2
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

QuadKid Posted at 2018-1-2 16:18
Mavic is infamous for this effect, yours looks to be relatively minor, it may have just been some wind effecting the Gimbal, if it persists I would try an IMU calibration followed by a Gimbal calibration then a camera reset. This may cure the problem. My MP is plagued with jello, my only fix for the problem was to use Polar Pro Filter to get rid of it. I always fly with a filter on anyways so not a big enough deal to send it back and wait for the repair.

This is a video with the Motors off sitting on the ground.

wow, thats really pronounced!!  and with motors off too, odd.  i have ordered the PP filters already as i normally fly with them.  just seems odd that DJI wouldn't fix this issue before releasing the platinum version
2018-1-2
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

ropate Posted at 2018-1-2 16:21
wow, thats really pronounced!!  and with motors off too, odd.  i have ordered the PP filters already as i normally fly with them.  just seems odd that DJI wouldn't fix this issue before releasing the platinum version

Yeah, but like I say it's not worth the time & effort for DJI to fix it and make me wait who knows how long and 99% of the time you get a refurbished unit. Luckily I have an authorized DJI service center about 200 miles from where I live, 1 day to ship it, 3 days to repair it (if required), 1 day to ship it back, well worth the $69 diagnosis fee (deducted from repair bill if they do the repairs) to know I am getting MY drone back not one with a whole other set of problems.
2018-1-2
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

QuadKid Posted at 2018-1-2 16:27
Yeah, but like I say it's not worth the time & effort for DJI to fix it and make me wait who knows how long and 99% of the time you get a refurbished unit. Luckily I have an authorized DJI service center about 200 miles from where I live, 1 day to ship it, 3 days to repair it (if required), 1 day to ship it back, well worth the $69 diagnosis fee (deducted from repair bill if they do the repairs) to know I am getting MY drone back not one with a whole other set of problems.

true!!!  was about to sell it a few days in, and go for the phantom 4 - but sticking with it for now.   just so damn small and convenient.
2018-1-2
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

ropate Posted at 2018-1-2 16:29
true!!!  was about to sell it a few days in, and go for the phantom 4 - but sticking with it for now.   just so damn small and convenient.

That's the only reason I got one, just to have with me under the seat of the car, I use my trusty P3P for recreational/commercial use, & the P4P for the real discerning clientele. P4P is a superb aerial Photo/Video platform.
2018-1-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just to verify, did you fly the drone in Sport mode, or did you? And how about the wind speed around, is there a gusting wind? Please do more tests and see if it happens frequently, before the test, please check the anti-drop hooks are mounted properly, make sure that the propellers are in good conditions with no damages, and also, avoid flying when there is a strong wind. Please keep us updated if the issue persists.
2018-1-2
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-2 19:02
Just to verify, did you fly the drone in Sport mode, or did you? And how about the wind speed around, is there a gusting wind? Please do more tests and see if it happens frequently, before the test, please check the anti-drop hooks are mounted properly, make sure that the propellers are in good conditions with no damages, and also, avoid flying when there is a strong wind. Please keep us updated if the issue persists.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXekYjEJA8&index=16&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX&t=12s

hi Thor, thanks for this.  The device was brand new out o the box pretty much as i bought it en route to Tahiti.

There was wind, but nothing significant and in fact was blowing from behind in that footage mentioned above.

Anti drop hoks, i presume you mean the ones that keep the gimbal in?  All 3 are where they should be base don the videos i've seen for that.

And definitely not sport mode, which is just tried and is awesome!

It did happen again on acceleration this morning.  Very odd.  

Have ordered PP filters to see if that helps....i needed them anyway.
2018-1-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ropate Posted at 2018-1-4 17:21
hi Thor, thanks for this.  The device was brand new out o the box pretty much as i bought it en route to Tahiti.

There was wind, but nothing significant and in fact was blowing from behind in that footage mentioned above.

Yes, that's what I said. Please let me know if it happens very frequently, I will forward to our engineers to confirm. Or please try to fly with the gimbal cover. Please keep us updated on this issue. Thank you.
2018-1-6
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-6 02:12
Yes, that's what I said. Please let me know if it happens very frequently, I will forward to our engineers to confirm. Or please try to fly with the gimbal cover. Please keep us updated on this issue. Thank you.

tried with the gimbal cover and it appears to have stopped but didn't really put it to the test.  the only problem thereis obviously the gimbal cover isn't the best to have on.

Tried it again this morning without gimbal cover and at top speed (not sports mode) and happens again...not constant but appears to come in waves...on and off
2018-1-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

ropate Posted at 2018-1-7 21:54
tried with the gimbal cover and it appears to have stopped but didn't really put it to the test.  the only problem thereis obviously the gimbal cover isn't the best to have on.

Tried it again this morning without gimbal cover and at top speed (not sports mode) and happens again...not constant but appears to come in waves...on and off

If it doesn't seem to appear when you fly with the gimbal cover, may I know the average temperature of your place? And also provide me with the details when it happens, like the control of the stick, the wind speed, etc.. Thank you.
2018-1-8
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-8 01:50
If it doesn't seem to appear when you fly with the gimbal cover. May I know the average temperature of your place? And also provide me with the details when it happens, like the control of the stick, the wind speed, etc.. Thank you.

it varies between those original images from French Polynesia and here in Sydney, Australia but it has been quite warm.... i was flying in temps around 27 through 33 degrees celsius.

The wind varied as well....that original section above was virtually no wind.... As it stands now, i have not flown in very strong winds as i am not as confident on the MPP stability conpared to the P3P
2018-1-8
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

my mavic also suffered from jello when i first got it.
However i crashed it after a few days which caused a gimbal overload problem i could not resolve. I sent it for repairs and when i got it back from china - the jello problem was gone.
Until now / until i just saw the video from quadkid i always thought of it as some hardware issue but considering quadkids experiment i now wonder if the jello is not the result of a camera sensor issue.

Having said that i did notice in yr clip between 2.35min and 2.38min that in the top left corner a piece of your drone is visible.
I might expect to see this sometimes when flying in sport mode with strong wind but would not expect to see it on such a calm day as appears during yr flight (flat water and clouds not moving much at all)
What is that thing we can see in your clip - does not look like the angular front plate - looks more round - did you have prop guards on?
2018-1-8
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

That video is pristine compared to mine. I flew my Platinum for the first time Wednesday, and the jello was extreme and nearly constant. The video was unwatchable. I've seen a lot of comments about unbalanced rotors, wind, etc. I know what camera shake looks like, and this ain't it. I bought from Amazon, so it's going back. If the replacement has it, it's going back as well.
2018-1-8
Use props
djiuser_kZQjPma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 605466 ft
United Kingdom

with being on a ship dont rule out ships Radar, VHF transmissions, em radiation from ships systems. As an aside use to have a similar problem with a sony VHS S shoulder cam
2018-1-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Strange it occurred only there.
Nice video btw!
2018-1-9
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-1-8 15:47
my mavic also suffered from jello when i first got it.
However i crashed it after a few days which caused a gimbal overload problem i could not resolve. I sent it for repairs and when i got it back from china - the jello problem was gone.
Until now / until i just saw the video from quadkid i always thought of it as some hardware issue but considering quadkids experiment i now wonder if the jello is not the result of a camera sensor issue.

hey Bekaru, it was one of the props in fact as i was flying diagonally and the camera was pointing relatively high up.  and it was the Phantom 3.  In that particular vid, the first  and last few shots i did with the Phantom 3 as i knew the settings and Polar Pro filter would do the sunset lighting justice.  

Still not confident with the settings on the mavic and didn't want jello with such unique lighting i probably wouldn't get to film in that location again.

As for your jello, the gimbal was all fitted correctly?  i.e. - the clamps were all in the right place as per so many vids out there for major jello effect.
2018-1-10
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

RolandW Posted at 2018-1-8 17:03
That video is pristine compared to mine. I flew my Platinum for the first time Wednesday, and the jello was extreme and nearly constant. The video was unwatchable. I've seen a lot of comments about unbalanced rotors, wind, etc. I know what camera shake looks like, and this ain't it. I bought from Amazon, so it's going back. If the replacement has it, it's going back as well.

hey, did you check that the 3 metal tabs of the gimbal were under the clamps?  one at the back and 2 at the front?  seems to be the cause of most of the major jello effect problems.  that one at the back is hard to get to.

fyi, wasn't an issue with mine
2018-1-10
Use props
ropate
lvl.4
Australia

djiuser_kZQjPma Posted at 2018-1-9 10:50
with being on a ship dont rule out ships Radar, VHF transmissions, em radiation from ships systems. As an aside use to have a similar problem with a sony VHS S shoulder cam

yes, this did present a problem a few ties with the remote/drone connection....but i never flew the MAvic off the ship directly, that was always the Phantom as i was more comfortable flying this
2018-1-10
Use props
RolandW
lvl.2
United States

ropate Posted at 2018-1-10 15:15
hey, did you check that the 3 metal tabs of the gimbal were under the clamps?  one at the back and 2 at the front?  seems to be the cause of most of the major jello effect problems.  that one at the back is hard to get to.

fyi, wasn't an issue with mine

Yes, I did check that, thanks. That's some stunning scenery in your video. Nice!
2018-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules