Osmo Mobile Microphone
7313 13 2018-1-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

The iPhone 8 got rid of the microphone/earbud plug on the bottom edge of the unit.  Only the charging port in the center bottom remains.  With the Osmo Mobile, that remaining port sits tightly against the body of the Osmo, so access to plugging in a device is not possible.  So, has anyone found a microphone that can be used to record audio when using the Osmo Mobile?  I was hoping to find something that would improve the sound quality over and above the phone's microphone.
2018-1-2
Use props
Coco SoulShine
lvl.1
Canada

Belkin makes 'Y' adaptors for iPhone 6, 7, & 8 that have a lighting connection to the phone, and either 2 lightning ports, or  lightning and 1/8 headphone ports. I bought them at the Apple Store, but London Drugs (here in Calgary anyway) sells them in the electronics dept.

An example via the Belkin site:
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/
2018-1-3
Use props
Coco SoulShine
lvl.1
Canada

Belkin makes 'Y' adaptors for iPhone 6, 7, & 8 that have a lighting connection to the phone, and either 2 lightning ports, or  lightning and 1/8 headphone ports. I bought them at the Apple Store, but London Drugs (here in Calgary anyway) sells them in the electronics dept.

The lightning connector is small enough to fit the gap of the OSMO phone bracket to connect to a mounted iPhone.

An example via the Belkin site:
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J198/
2018-1-3
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

Coco SoulShine Posted at 2018-1-3 13:19

The lightning connector is small enough to fit the gap of the OSMO phone bracket to connect to a mounted iPhone.

Thanks for your note.  I don't think it would work in the Osmo Mobile.  The base of the phone is right up against the body of the Osmo, and it must be perfectly balanced in order to work.  If I had to move the phone far enough away from the base to make room for the lightening connector, then it would not be able to be balanced.  Even the cables with a 90 degree connector still need more room than the device would handle.  I hoping that someone has found a wireless (bluetooth?) solution.  Or perhaps a stand alone unit where video and voice could be synced in post processing.
2018-1-3
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.cultofmac.com/482247 ... eful-iphone-videos/

I saw this a while back, and wondered if it would solve this issue. I didn’t try it though, as I purchased Bose wireless headphones rather than iBuds. Apple earbuds don’t fit my ear, so I was worried I’d drop and lose them. The author seems to think they will work for use with a gimbal. If you know anyone that has a set it might be worth a look.

Jeff
2018-1-6
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

BigBlueTsunami Posted at 2018-1-6 20:03
https://www.cultofmac.com/482247/bluetooth-mic-airpods-useful-iphone-videos/

I saw this a while back, and wondered if it would solve this issue. I didn’t try it though, as I purchased Bose wireless headphones rather than iBuds. Apple earbuds don’t fit my ear, so I was worried I’d drop and lose them. The author seems to think they will work for use with a gimbal. If you know anyone that has a set it might be worth a look.

EXCELLENT ! ! This will absolutely solve my problem.  Thank you SOOOOO much!
2018-1-6
Use props
BigBlueTsunami
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Very glad it will work for you. She’s a good blogger for my tech needs. It would be nice if the native Osmo app could include the ability to  use a Bluetooth microphone sometime in a future update... hint hint.

Jeff
2018-1-7
Use props
DigitalJoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 504688 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too would like the ability to use my more professional microphones with my iPhone 8 Plus while using DJI Osmo Mobile. I guess I will have to wait fir Osmo Mobil V 3 or V4 for DJI to re-engineer the mobile so we can use our lightning port.
2018-1-20
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
United States

DigitalJoe Posted at 2018-1-20 17:52
I too would like the ability to use my more professional microphones with my iPhone 8 Plus while using DJI Osmo Mobile. I guess I will have to wait fir Osmo Mobil V 3 or V4 for DJI to re-engineer the mobile so we can use our lightning port.

Yeah, turns out that the suggestion from BigBlueTsunami did not work after all.  The bluetooth earbud worked with the phone, but not when shooting videos.  So I could not use it as a wireless mic with my Osmo Mobile.
2018-1-20
Use props
drnick
lvl.1
United States

BigBlueTsunami Posted at 2018-1-6 20:03
https://www.cultofmac.com/482247/bluetooth-mic-airpods-useful-iphone-videos/

Did the Bose wireless earphones solve this problem as I have the same problem with Apple buds falling out
2018-7-9
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

drnick Posted at 2018-7-9 05:56
Did the Bose wireless earphones solve this problem as I have the same problem with Apple buds falling out

I never tried it. I was only pointing out that according to that blogger, the ear buds did work. When I get home and get the Osmo charged, I'll give it a try with the Bluetooth Bose headphones and report back here.

Jeff
2018-7-9
Use props
drnick
lvl.1
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-7-9 08:08
I never tried it. I was only pointing out that according to that blogger, the ear buds did work. When I get home and get the Osmo charged, I'll give it a try with the Bluetooth Bose headphones and report back here.

Jeff

Appreciate the update - thanks
2018-7-9
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>

drnick Posted at 2018-7-9 08:50
Appreciate the update - thanks

I could not get the DJI Gp app to record audio from the mic on the Bose Bluetooth headphones. With the headphones linked and working, it only recorded from the iPhone mic. The only audio setting I could find was located in the Go app settings, and only turns the mic on and off. I tried turning it off to see if it would switch to the Bose mic, but all it did was stop recording audio.

Jeff
2018-7-9
Use props
Jeff Millard
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-1-20 18:38
Yeah, turns out that the suggestion from BigBlueTsunami did not work after all.  The bluetooth earbud worked with the phone, but not when shooting videos.  So I could not use it as a wireless mic with my Osmo Mobile.

Sorry this is months later, mainly because I didn't monitor this thread and there was no reply to me. But in the video the blogger specifically states that the only app that would allow the Bluetooth mic was Movie Pro (Filmic Pro also works now too) and that was the point of linking to her video. It does work. What doesn't work is the DJI app. Still.

Jeff
2018-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules