Registering a drone in Thailand - any success?
1056716 1056716 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
travelrikk
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

So this is not really mavic related, but I wasn't sure where to post it.

Anyway, in a few days time I'm flying off to Thailand for a month and I'd like to bring my mavic with me. I know I have to register it at the NBTC office, in order to be able to fly legally but some people say it takes ages to get a permit and others said it was a pretty easy/straight-forward proccess.

Has anyone been there recently and managed to register it or not? Would like to hear your stories.

Thanks
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I’ve read that the process is quite comprehensive and takes around 2 months. There are also many flight restrictions as to where and how you can fly in Thailand such as max altitude at 300’ AGL, maintaining VLOS being imperative, keep away from national parks, crowds and don’t fly over cities, villages and 5 miles from an airport and WELL AWAY from any Royal palace etc. The authorities Confiscating your drone and destroying it will be the least of your worries if you don’t fly by the book in Thailand...  
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And you also need one million baht worth of public liability insurance to fly a UAV with a camera at the time of applying for your permit. Thats around £25,000
2018-1-3
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-1-3 03:54
I’ve read that the process is quite comprehensive and takes around 2 months. There are also many flight restrictions as to where and how you can fly in Thailand such as max altitude at 300’ AGL, maintaining VLOS being imperative, keep away from national parks, crowds and don’t fly over cities, villages and 5 miles from an airport and WELL AWAY from any Royal palace etc. The authorities Confiscating your drone and destroying it will be the least of your worries if you don’t fly by the book in Thailand...

I'v read all about those rules and I'm willing to abide by them. I only intend to fly in rural areas away from people.

Would love to hear people's experience if anyone has recent went through the registration.

Thanks.
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Given that it takes TWO MONTHS to process and that you’re leaving in a few days for one month I think you’ve missed the boat mate!
2018-1-3
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-1-3 08:29
Given that it takes TWO MONTHS to process and that you’re leaving in a few days for one month I think you’ve missed the boat mate!

I've heard stories where foreigners where able to get accepted on the same day..that's why I'm asking. two month for locals but tourists could probably get accepted more easily since it's only for a short period of time.
2018-1-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

travelrikk Posted at 2018-1-4 04:33
I've heard stories where foreigners where able to get accepted on the same day..that's why I'm asking. two month for locals but tourists could probably get accepted more easily since it's only for a short period of time.

I see - thats good to know. Let us know how you get on
2018-1-4
Use props
fanse8a551c9
New
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-1-4 05:44
I see - thats good to know. Let us know how you get on

So I have read for both, that little over two months you can get processed but also if you go to the police department you can get validated same day.

My plan originally was to send off the forms earlier and then have a copy with me and explain that I will submit it the police station. The thing is, the cheapest worldwide insurance I can find is 265 USD for 1 year coverage with IDRA racing. So you can roll the dice and bring it with you, make sure you have all the forms and try with the police station. Because I think the only people who can confiscate it from you would be local police. Unless you get screwed by the military, well than, you're just screwed.
2018-1-4
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

A CW Posted at 2018-1-4 05:44
I see - thats good to know. Let us know how you get on

Will do, this could go both ways - either I manage to get a permit and get some awesome shots or else I would end up carrying the mavic in my bag for a whole month. I'm willing to take that risk for a slight possibility of some unique shots...anything for the shot ;)
2018-1-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good for you
2018-1-5
Use props
fans3ae61046
New
United States

travelrikk Posted at 2018-1-5 15:14
Will do, this could go both ways - either I manage to get a permit and get some awesome shots or else I would end up carrying the mavic in my bag for a whole month. I'm willing to take that risk for a slight possibility of some unique shots...anything for the shot ;)

I'm headed to Thailand in a few weeks as well.  Let me know how your experiences go and if you feel comfortable/are able to get your Mavic out
2018-1-7
Use props
swagmama
New

United States

did you get it into thailand and get the permit?
2018-1-22
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

fans3ae61046 Posted at 2018-1-7 16:33
I'm headed to Thailand in a few weeks as well.  Let me know how your experiences go and if you feel comfortable/are able to get your Mavic out

I managed to apply for a permit and also got drone insurance for about 150-200e, permit valid for 2 years and insurance 1 year. This way I'm able to fly legally wherever it's possible. Met a lot of people who fly without a permit but I wouldn't risk it personally as there are park rangers on watch ready to fine you and possible even jail you. You should apply 2 months before going for the permit to be issued on time but even if you don't you will have an official stamp that you applied for a permit and that's always better than nothing I can send you the company I did it if you'd like but there are a few around Bangkok I think.
2018-1-26
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

swagmama Posted at 2018-1-22 18:38
did you get it into thailand and get the permit?

I did manage to get a permit ..check my reply above ^^
2018-1-26
Use props
fans728fdb62
lvl.1
Spain

travelrikk Posted at 2018-1-26 10:22
I managed to apply for a permit and also got drone insurance for about 150-200e, permit valid for 2 years and insurance 1 year. This way I'm able to fly legally wherever it's possible. Met a lot of people who fly without a permit but I wouldn't risk it personally as there are park rangers on watch ready to fine you and possible even jail you. You should apply 2 months before going for the permit to be issued on time but even if you don't you will have an official stamp that you applied for a permit and that's always better than nothing  I can send you the company I did it if you'd like but there are a few around Bangkok I think.

Hi mate, similar situation to yours here. Traveling to Thailand in to weeks, could you please let me know step by step how do you manage  to get your permission?.

I would really appreciate your help.
2018-1-27
Use props
fans027c805c
lvl.1

Canada

travelrikk Posted at 2018-1-4 04:33
I've heard stories where foreigners where able to get accepted on the same day..that's why I'm asking. two month for locals but tourists could probably get accepted more easily since it's only for a short period of time.

Hey, I'm in the same boat!
Just trying to understand your post and to clear something up,, so you went into Thailand and got your registration and permission there at the police station? And got the stamp there? And you haven't had any problems so far
We are too late to register online as we are leaving in 4 weeks!
2018-1-27
Use props
ZeroGravity
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5928881 ft
Thailand

Done already a simple 24 hour proses, just hand the forms into a police station and collect the permit 24 hours later.

For Thailand a simple and painless process.
2018-1-27
Use props
fans728fdb62
lvl.1
Spain

ZeroGravity Posted at 2018-1-27 22:04
Done already a simple 24 hour proses, just hand the forms into a police station and collect the permit 24 hours later.

For Thailand a simple and painless process.

Which ensurance did you hired?
2018-1-28
Use props
ZeroGravity
lvl.4
Thailand

fans728fdb62 Posted at 2018-1-28 06:01
Which ensurance did you hired?

Insurance and Thailand don't go together!!

2018-1-28
Use props
fans728fdb62
lvl.1
Spain

ZeroGravity Posted at 2018-1-28 06:22
Insurance and Thailand don't go together!!

So, you manage to have a permission with no insurance?
2018-1-28
Use props
MissjFoxx
New

United States

Hi,

I am going to Thailand in 3 weeks i can just go to the police station correct? i'm only going on vacation and planning to use it only on phi phi islands and maybe Phuket  completely away from city parks and attractions.  did you get the insurance from the police station as well or just the permit?

Happy flying
2018-1-28
Use props
ZeroGravity
lvl.4
Thailand

MissjFoxx Posted at 2018-1-28 16:18
Hi,

I am going to Thailand in 3 weeks i can just go to the police station correct? i'm only going on vacation and planning to use it only on phi phi islands and maybe Phuket  completely away from city parks and attractions.  did you get the insurance from the police station as well or just the permit?

I am resident here so things very different to a tourist.

Maybe a lot easier for you if you just fly discretely, applying to the police station  was easy, but in a tourist area may be a different and "expensive" experience.
2018-1-30
Use props
ZeroGravity
lvl.4
Thailand

fans728fdb62 Posted at 2018-1-28 09:45
So, you manage to have a permission with no insurance?

Yes, no insurance was required
2018-1-30
Use props
JT-SkyHigh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 319662 ft
Australia

ZeroGravity Posted at 2018-1-30 20:37
Yes, no insurance was required

Thanks for the info - were the forms you had to submit to the police station the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Registration Application and Consent to the Disclosure of Personal Information?

I'm going to Khao Lak in a few weeks and trying to work out what to do so I can fly my Spark.
2018-2-1
Use props
ZeroGravity
lvl.4
Thailand

JT-SkyHigh Posted at 2018-2-1 21:48
Thanks for the info - were the forms you had to submit to the police station the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Registration Application and Consent to the Disclosure of Personal Information?

I'm going to Khao Lak in a few weeks and trying to work out what to do so I can fly my Spark.

check out this guys website, it will help you a lot

http://www.richardbarrow.com/201 ... -drone-in-thailand/
2018-2-2
Use props
JT-SkyHigh
lvl.2
Australia

ZeroGravity Posted at 2018-2-2 06:14
check out this guys website, it will help you a lot

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2017/10/how-to-register-your-drone-in-thailand/

Awesome, thanks!
2018-2-2
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

JT-SkyHigh Posted at 2018-2-1 21:48

Insurance is required in order to register. I've go insurance from back home but it doesn't include liability insurance!! It's important to have in case you hurt someone, not worth risking thai jail.

I got mine from a company called drone thai insure on facebook. Super helpful and friendly company, they even train people how to fly drones professionally. It's cheap for an extra $100 I would definitely do it. There's a lot of similar companies but that's the one that replied straight away and I went with them. Now I have a permit valid for 2 year and insurance which is valid for a year.
2018-2-5
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

fans027c805c Posted at 2018-1-27 19:58
Hey, I'm in the same boat!
Just trying to understand your post and to clear something up,, so you went into Thailand and got your registration and permission there at the police station? And got the stamp there? And you haven't had any problems so far
We are too late to register online as we are leaving in 4 weeks!

Sorry for the late reply but I was abroad. I went with drone thai insure from facebook. Awesome company would recommend.
2018-2-5
Use props
marz
New
Flight distance : 103727 ft
Finland

Can Drone Thai Insure be trusted to make valid permits? Everything on the site in Thai. These Thai regulations are way too complicated. I don't have the time to start finding out what to do or to find a random police station somewhere. Where they probably don't have a clue about any drone related issues. I need a permit to fly for like 15 minutes at a friends wedding next week. Argh...
2018-2-6
Use props
travelrikk
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

marz Posted at 2018-2-6 01:25
Can Drone Thai Insure be trusted to make valid permits? Everything on the site in Thai. These Thai regulations are way too complicated.  I don't have the time to start finding out what to do or to find a random police station somewhere. Where they probably don't have a clue about any drone related issues. I need a permit to fly for like 15 minutes at a friends wedding next week. Argh...

They are thrustworthy. They have good reviews on facebook and I used them personally and they sent me  all the permits via email and then you can collect them from their offices in Bangkok.
2018-2-6
Use props
Emilie Jayne
lvl.1

Canada

Hi Travelrikk, where did you go to get your permit and how did you get it so fast?
I just got my insurance through drone insurance- found them on Facebook,they have been super helpful and fast.
I'm leaving on march 29th, just sent my CAAT forms tonight. Thai drone told me to wait until Feb 13th to send out my NBCT forms as apperently they may change some rules?
2018-2-7
Use props
lanz
New

Hi, just joined this forum and am traveling to Malaysia and Thailand first week of May ... so no time to register two months in advance. Been doing some research and can's even get on the caat website to file a registration. Any advice in my predicament?
2018-3-25
Use props
rikk08
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

lanz Posted at 2018-3-25 11:46
Hi, just joined this forum and am traveling to Malaysia and Thailand first week of May ... so no time to register two months in advance. Been doing some research and can's even get on the caat website to file a registration. Any advice in my predicament?

Sorry I'm afraid I can't help you there as I've never been to Malaysia...kindly check online about current laws and regulations
2018-3-25
Use props
Fabi.ger
New

Philippines

So I will be going to Thailand in 2 weeks.

Im okay with not using it there.
But not willing to get an insurance for 150-200 USD that I don’t need, nor want.

I can’t not bring my drone to Thailand, since I will be arriving from another country that is not my home country.

Do i have to register at the gov sites and get an insurance in and case?? Even if I don’t want to use it?
I will be flying several times in Thailand, eventually some one way flights. So leaving it at the airport would not be a good option.

What is my best option now? Sending it home via post? Give the batteries to my friend and this was pretend that I am not even able to fly the drone?

Or is it okay to arrive in the airport, bringing the drone without registration and insurance, if you are not going to fly?
2018-3-29
Use props
rikk08
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

Fabi.ger Posted at 2018-3-29 23:34
So I will be going to Thailand in 2 weeks.

Im okay with not using it there.

If you're flying with a mavic, you shouldn't have a problem with it at airports. I've had 3 internal flights and no one ever even asked to see the mavic. Not sure for other, bigger drones though but you shouldn't have any problems with customs just tell them the truth that you do not plan on flying in Thailand
2018-4-1
Use props
JT-SkyHigh
lvl.2
Australia

I've just been to Thailand with my Mavic Air in my carry on and didn't get asked once what was in my bag. I did buy a DJI Lipo Safe bag to carry the batteries in as an extra precaution but as I said no one blinked twice that it was in my bag.
2018-4-4
Use props
djiuser_N2fkzb83L9Ab
New

I guess we will leave ours at home due to conflicting information.

1. Several media sites say you can register in one of 3 places - CAAT, NBTC or police station.
2. Bloggers post conflicting info - some saying it takes 2 months through CAAT others saying go to police station.
3. Drone Thai Insurance says you must register at both CAAT for flight and NBTC for radio frequency on their FB page, their website is in Thai.
4. CAAT documentation appears to place our small drones in the hobby category but because they have cameras they are in another category - but does camera mean a separate GoPro on a gimble like the infographic or an onboard one? Is photography referring to hobby like what we do or "big media" commercial photography like the other two categories of film or television program?

Unfortunately we don't plan trips until about a month before so a 2-month process isn't something we would be able to do. Best to play it safe and leave them at home then.
2018-4-23
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

Yeah I've come to the same conclusion that I won't bother flying it in my week trip in Thailand. Plus insurance of $100usd or so seems silly.
2018-4-23
Use props
rikk08
First Officer
  • >>>
Malta

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-4-23 14:59
Yeah I've come to the same conclusion that I won't bother flying it in my week trip in Thailand. Plus insurance of $100usd or so seems silly.

I had to pay 150eur in total to be able to fly legally cause I went through a company and they did the whole permit thing for me really easy. Spent a whole month there and while it is expensive (imo) to pay so much money it's definitely worth it.
Visiting Namibia in September and I need to pay 85eur for the permit and 25eur for insurance for 2 weeks and I can't even fly inside the national parks (the whole trip will be spent almost in national parks - don't plan on flying above wildlife)...
why can't they just let us fly responsibly for fun? :?
2018-4-23
Use props
James D J I
New
United Kingdom

Hi i need a bit of help

i sent my application off in February as at the time web was saying 12 weeks to register

i fly on monday but heard nothing back

2018-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules