Taking drone to Dubai without registering it
23511 17 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sky1200
New

United Kingdom

Hi,

I am travelling to Dubai in January and on my way back I am going to stop over in Dubai. I would like to take my Mavic Pro drone with me but I know there are strict rules in Dubai for using a drone and I don't want to use it there at all.
Question is do I need to register my drone in order to be able to come through airport security without having my drone confiscated even though I will not use my drone in Dubai, it will be in my bag for the entire stay? The problem is that in order to register, I need to have a certificate of my skills which I do not have. I would like to take the drone with me however, as I am visiting another country as well where I can freely use the drone.

I would appreciate your advise on this matter.
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I do believe that if you stay within the airport then you'll be fine as you are not legally 'entering' the country. However, if you pass customs then thats a different matter and you need to comply with the laws of the land. I believe drones are not permitted in Dubai without having it registered before arrival and drone laws are very strict. Whether you're staying there for one-night with no intention of flying or one-year to fly everywhere makes no difference. You can check with the consulate.
2018-1-3
Use props
DxbDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1436332 ft
United Arab Emirates

Only if you are entering the country. You need to register the drone through www.dcaa.gov.ae if you are coming from Dubai airport.
if you have skills certificate it will be much easier to register your drone , if you don't have it just attached your flight booking with other required details and in remarks DONT forget to mention Tourist traveling with drone .if any issue They will contact you if they need more info or clarification. Usually it take around 7 - 10 days.
Just print the certificate and if asked at customs show them thats it.

If you are still in doubt just mail them or give them a call

DCAA -- Dubai Civil Avaition Authority

email safety@dcaa.gov.ae

Call Center  800 83222 Overseas: +97147770000​
2018-1-3
Use props
sky1200
New

United Kingdom

That's indeed very helpful. Thank you for your advice!
2018-1-5
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Who are you flying with?

We are off to Dubai soon and while I wanted to bring my Mavic, Emirates policy is that the drone DOES NOT go in the cabin with you.....it must go in the hold. Batteries must go in the cabin with you. I dunno about you lot, but I would rather bring both in the cabin.

Not a fan of throwing a grands worth in the arse of a place for the baggage handlers to juggle with or sell.

I have my Dubai license but this is putting me off bringing it altogether

J
2018-1-5
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jinjur Posted at 2018-1-5 06:21
Who are you flying with?

We are off to Dubai soon and while I wanted to bring my Mavic, Emirates policy is that the drone DOES NOT go in the cabin with you.....it must go in the hold. Batteries must go in the cabin with you. I dunno about you lot, but I would rather bring both in the cabin.

I have travelled with Emirates, through Dubai, four flights in total. Drone & Batteries were in carry on, no problems, no one asked. Its a piece of photographic equipment at the end of the day.

2018-1-5
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Might be a new thing then bud?

https://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/239030/what-is-the-policy-for-transporting-dangerous-goods

"Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage

For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage."

2018-1-5
Use props
DxbDrone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1436332 ft
United Arab Emirates

Something new I always used to carry on hand luggage
drone and batteries at 30 Percent Charge.
Maybe they Changed their policies.
2018-1-13
Use props
brillantesg
New

United States

Just flew into Dubai (DXB) yesterday with my p4p as my carry on and mavic in the check in. All batteries were in my bag and flew in from LHR on Virgin Atlantic. Passing through customs I briefly did get stopped and asked why I brought the p4p. I am flying to Japan in a few days so I told them I needed the drone there, but since I didn't register the drone with the DCAA I assured them I would not fly it while in Dubai. I was not stopped for the mavic, which didn't go through customs check.
2018-5-18
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Jinjur Posted at 2018-1-5 06:21
Who are you flying with?

I travelled with Emirates last april to Sri Lanka with a transit in Dubai, so I did not pass customs.

I had my Mavic stored in checked luggage. Only store your Mavic very well, this is what happened (luckily it survived twice):

https://forum.dji.com/thread-146421-1-1.html

2018-5-18
Use props
fanscc244f12
New
Flight distance : 20331 ft
South Africa

Hi, but I really don't understand that registration process at all. I've got forwarded to the page but then it wants you to out their own ID and numbers etc ..so if you are a traveller you don't have option how to fill in  that compulsory I formation?!
Does not make sense at all. :/

2019-1-2
Use props
jostinroshan
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

I was recently flying back from India and was cought at Dubai Customs coz i was carrying DJI Spark in my luggage.  I was asked follow an officer to his office to show my passport and stuff like that. When i showed them my Registration card they let me go without any further question.  SO i suggest, it is better to register a drone to be hassle free.
2019-1-16
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

jostinroshan Posted at 1-16 02:49
I was recently flying back from India and was cought at Dubai Customs coz i was carrying DJI Spark in my luggage.  I was asked follow an officer to his office to show my passport and stuff like that. When i showed them my Registration card they let me go without any further question.  SO i suggest, it is better to register a drone to be hassle free.

are you living in Dubai ?  Registering a drone as a tourists is almost impossible and expensive.  They ask you to get a AED480 one day training...
2019-4-15
Use props
fans783fc9a7
New
Flight distance : 595755 ft
France

Hello.
Is the drone training certificate really mandatory? can I still get the autorization without it?
Thanks
2019-7-20
Use props
djiuser_5lu7K4TI1Y0w
New
United Arab Emirates

Hello,I have recently registered my hobby drone (DJI mavic mini) weight 249 grams to GCAA app and have received the certificate as well. Do i have to register the same to DCAA as well if i am not planning to fly the drone in Dubai ? For other emirates do my GCAA reg will work? Also for my flight coming to/from Dubai do my GCAA certificate will be enough i i carry my drone in my checked in luggage ? Thank you in advance to clarify my abov doubts
2019-11-25
Use props
djiuser_Nv6Juu9t7wrI
New
Poland

Concerning Mavic Mini, I've asked the GCA about registration (I'm not a UAE citizen), and this is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting the GCAA.

Kindly be informed that there is no need to register drone weighing below 250 grams with the GCAA.  When using the drone ensure flying it in the fly zone area only (follow the UAE flying zone map).

Please refer to CAR PART IV CAR-RUA-RECREATIONAL UNMANNED AIRCRAFT - ISSUE 01 which is available in the GCAA Website for the conditions of operating Unmanned Aircraft.

Note: you need to contact the airport to learn about the rules applicable to travelers with drones.

Still, it's not clear for me where can I see the UAE flying zone map (the app that provides that requires UAE mobile phone number), and not sure about the "rules applicable to travelers with drones."

2020-1-23
Use props
djiuser_itubX6EdoMvZ
New

Netherlands

jostinroshan Posted at 2019-1-16 02:49

Would you tell me is that possible to register your drone in more than 2 countries or just in 1 or 2?

And  does registered drone means you can fly your own through that contry and there does need no other permission?
Thanks
2020-3-18
Use props
djiuser_JGDftU5BCuLq
New

United Arab Emirates

Hi
My mavic mini was captured by Dubai customs when I came to Dubai last month 3rd of feb ... They gave me a form and forced me to sign over that form which says that my drone is gonna destroy by Dubai customs ... Now my question is there any way to get back my drone?
2020-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules