123Next >
3834 95 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pepere
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2792 ft
United States

While the input from all participants is very helpful, I have noticed some inconsistency, and sometimes overt avoidance, on the part of Administrators who frequent forum. Other than “OTG is not supported”  and “engineers are working on it” what has been put out there regarding OTG vs WiFi and the latest DJI Go 4 update? It seems that there are serious problems with WiFi but these have not been fixed despite recommendations to NOT use alternative
2018-1-3
Use props
Jetje200
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14006 ft
Netherlands

good question i am querios to
2018-1-3
Use props
Pauxier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is the confusion that makes it bad and even dangerous
2018-1-3
Use props
Pepere
lvl.2
United States

Pauxier Posted at 2018-1-3 07:49
It is the confusion that makes it bad and even dangerous

Elektra? Thor? Grace?
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It seems strange that otg not supported does not give enough clarity, I know what it means it’s a very simple statement it explains itself very clearly.
Do we really need a much longer statement to tell us otg is not supported?

Otg was basically a hack that worked through the dji hardware, the connection was there to run with goggles and future crystalsky. That fact that it was hacked may have meant dji need to try to protect their equipment by either trying to outlaw the use of otg or come up with a solution to make it adaptable and safe for use with spark, I think the latter is being investigated, whether it will be implemented is something you or I will not know until it is, the fact that some mods have continually said that engineers are working on trying to get it sorted would lead me to believe they are trying to come up with something that will favour all. In the past dji have never been forward in telling customers what is coming down the line until it arrives and I suspect it will be the same with otg.
2018-1-3
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422149 ft
United States

Otg was not a hack, it was never officially supported but it worked since the inception of the spark up until the last couple of upgrades in November for android and December for iOS

It’s even the number #1 requested feature on forum polls.

Dji could end this confusion if they put a sticky post at the beginning of the forum - with the official position and future support or non support - to stop these countless threads and posts requesting info about otg.
2018-1-3
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Man I hate that word "hacked".  I think initially it was just an oversight by DJI.
2018-1-3
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 08:18
It seems strange that otg not supported does not give enough clarity, I know what it means it’s a very simple statement it explains itself very clearly.
Do we really need a much longer statement to tell us otg is not supported?

Don’t worry about hallmark - we all know how he feels with full page responses - but he is not an official dji spokesperson so his opinion is as much as anyone else’s
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-3 08:32
Man I hate that word "hacked".  I think initially it was just an oversight by DJI.

Well hacked in the sense that it was discovered after the release of spark by a guy on you tube, in the release notes for connection now being used to connect directly to your device there was mention of connection use for goggles and future use of crystalsky, there was no mention in either manual or release notes of connection being used for connection to other devices on the contrary since first use of this dji have come out and said it was not supported and so far this is still the case, they have since developed further firmware and software and it looks like otg was not considered when doing this so we had the problems of it coming and going working and not working.

One of the strangest things I find is how little sparks have been returned because they are not preforming as they should I know if it was mine I would have returned it until I got one that worked properly.

I am just back from Sweden where I have been flying for the last ten days and using spark in both 2.4 ghz and 5.8ghz with no problems with transmission or distance so I know it’s possible to achieve, but at the same time obviously some are having problems.
2018-1-3
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

"One of the strangest things I find is how little sparks have been returned because they are not preforming as they should I know if it was mine I would have returned it until I got one that worked properly."

I agree, though we can't truly base the number of returns strictly on forum posts.  I for 1 had owned 2 Sparks  which were intended for my nephews, but after realizing how unreliable they were I decided to sell 1 and keep the other until some issues (i.e. WIFI) are resolved.
2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I first of all would wish that users would take more time reading the forum (including the many official DJI statements that OTG support will come soon) before opening a new thread on the same topic again and again. How many of them do we have now on OTG? I have given up counting...
2018-1-3
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-3 09:17
I first of all would wish that users would take more time reading the forum (including the many official DJI statements that OTG support will come soon) before opening a new thread on the same topic again and again. How many of them do we have now on OTG? I have given up counting...

Good-luck with that happening.  The Spark Pilots forum has the same, 30% of all posts are OTG related.
2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Tviscomi Posted at 2018-1-3 09:20
Good-luck with that happening.  The Spark Pilots forum has the same, 30% of all posts are OTG related.

Then let them do it in the Spark Pilots forum ;-)
2018-1-3
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

Let's face facts. Spark was obviously designed to support OTG cable. How do I know ? The fact that they are offering OTG cable for Spark and DJI Googles in DJI store (specially for Hallmark https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-micro-usb-otg-cable) speaks for everything . Otherwise they would have to recall all drones for hardware upgrade.

The fact that spark worked with the OTG cable from the beginning only supports that conclusion. It still does work, you can fly with it even now. The only difference is that through software update they scrambled the output it sends to the DJI GO app (this I call a real hack and a nasty one). The timing of that action (shortly before the christmas) and the long time it takes them to fix it, pushes me to think it was made deliberately to boost the sales of Mavics (really stupid decision since in my case it had a completely different effect, I will not buy products from a company that is crippling them after a release). It's my oppinion, feel free to disagree.

Hopefully they release a new version that fixes it soon so we can forget about it and move on ....
2018-1-3
Use props
Pepere
lvl.2
United States

I first of all would wish that users would take more time reading the forum (including the many official DJI statements that OTG support will come soon) before opening a new thread on the same topic again and again. How many of them do we have now on OTG? I have given up counting...

Captain:
  As a newbie I have respected and do respect your opinion based on experience
My point, as the OP, was that I don’t think that “OTG not supported, coming soon” is sufficient. I have read most of the posts on this and it sounded like many believed that v.22 would solve the problem of unreliable WiFi and/or restore full functionality to OTG. I will reiterate: the major problem is that WiFi is not reliable, and the workaround is recommended against
Thank you
R/
Metts
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-3 09:27
Let's face facts. Spark was obviously designed to support OTG cable. How do I know ? The fact that they are offering OTG cable for Spark and DJI Googles in DJI store (specially for Hallmark https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-micro-usb-otg-cable) speaks for everything . Otherwise they would have to recall all drones for hardware upgrade.

The fact that spark worked with the OTG cable from the beginning only supports that conclusion. It still does work, you can fly with it even now. The only difference is that through software update they scrambled the output it sends to the DJI GO app (this I call a real hack and a nasty one). The timing of that action (shortly before the christmas) pushes me to think it was made deliberately to boost the sales of Mavics (really stupid decision since in my case it had a completely different effect, I will not buy products from a company that is crippling them after a release). It's my oppinion, feel free to disagree.

One simple question why is there nothing in release notes or manual referring to its use to connect device and why is it being continually said it is not supported.
It sounds like your making things up as you go along.
2018-1-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Pepere Posted at 2018-1-3 09:29
Captain:
  As a newbie I have respected and do respect your opinion based on experience
My point, as the OP, was that I don’t think that “OTG not supported, coming soon” is sufficient. I have read most of the posts on this and it sounded like many believed that v.22 would solve the problem of unreliable WiFi and/or restore full functionality to OTG. I will reiterate: the major problem is that WiFi is not reliable, and the workaround is recommended against

What else could they state in your opinion other than that they are working on it and that it will come when ready?
Yes, people have believed it would come with version .22 and I had hoped for it too. But it never had been promised for that version. So it will come with another one, whenever it will be ready for release. Recent statements suggest that it might be soon but we'll see. Just repeating the same again and again really doesn't help anyone I believe.
If you have read the other threads you also know what the solution for the time being is (version .15) and it works perfectly well.
2018-1-3
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 09:31
One simple question why is there nothing in release notes or manual referring to its use to connect device and why is it being continually said it is not supported.

Hallmark, for one time, put aside your arrogance and focus on the subject. Click on that link and use your brain ..... how do you want to support an OTG cable for DJI Goggles without a support for an OTG cable ?

goggles.jpg
2018-1-3
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 09:04
Well hacked in the sense that it was discovered after the release of spark by a guy on you tube, in the release notes for connection now being used to connect directly to your device there was mention of connection use for goggles and future use of crystalsky, there was no mention in either manual or release notes of connection being used for connection to other devices on the contrary since first use of this dji have come out and said it was not supported and so far this is still the case, they have since developed further firmware and software and it looks like otg was not considered when doing this so we had the problems of it coming and going working and not working.

One of the strangest things I find is how little sparks have been returned because they are not preforming as they should I know if it was mine I would have returned it until I got one that worked properly.

How was your trip to Sweden? When are you going to post some photos and videos, or did I miss them? I always enjoy your work.
2018-1-3
Use props
Pauxier
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... ack-airborne-drones

May be related to this?
2018-1-3
Use props
dansmar
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 09:31

Don’t mind hallmark and watchberger they are self appointed forum trolls and subvert threads they don’t agree with.

Bottom line it is a perfectly reasonable question that dji can answer, hallmark and watchberger are not affiliated with dji and their opinions are just as meaningless as all the other users and just blind speculation. If they are tired of seeing so many threads about this they don’t have to read them.

only dji can answer this - if dji doesn’t want to have countless threads about OTG then they can always a fix a sticky post and explain the position and future plans for otg.

People aren’t going to sort through endless threads and forums to find a one sentence statements - nobody wants to waste their time etc.. so expect many more threads about this topic - and to top it off otg is the number #1 requested feature in a poll on this forum!
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-3 09:44
Hallmark, for one time, put aside your arrogance and focus on the subject. Click on that link and use your brain ..... how do you want to support an OTG cable for DJI Goggles without a support for an OTG cable ?

Again your first quip is to try and insult, I will put this down to your nature. If you had bothered to read my posts you will see I mentioned both goggles and Crystalsky, but another case of you shooting off your mouth before your brain is in gear.
2018-1-3
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pauxier Posted at 2018-1-3 09:46
https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-unveils-technology-to-identify-and-track-airborne-drones

Yeah that must be the reason
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-1-3 09:45
How was your trip to Sweden? When are you going to post some photos and videos, or did I miss them? I always enjoy your work.

I will soon just arrived back last night, good trip mostly family stuff very short days in Sweden at the minute.
2018-1-3
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 09:50
Again your first quip is to try and insult, I will put this down to your nature. If you had bothered to read my posts you will see I mentioned both goggles and Crystalsky, but another case of you shooting off your mouth before your brain is in gear.

How about we let the others to decide which one of us tells the truth and who is trying to insult the others ? ;)
2018-1-3
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

The fact that spark worked with the OTG cable from the beginning only supports that conclusion. It still does work, you can fly with it even now. The only difference is that through software update they scrambled the output it sends to the DJI GO app (this I call a real hack and a nasty one). The timing of that action (shortly before the christmas) and the long time it takes them to fix it, pushes me to think it was made deliberately to boost the sales of Mavics (really stupid decision since in my case it had a completely different effect, I will not buy products from a company that is crippling them after a release). It's my oppinion, feel free to disagree.

...there are more DJi Spark users in eu that have no problems flying on wifi! I never owned OMG!! cable. As i have posted screenshots before reaching 500m or more on wifi 5.8g, i won't post them again.
I use as well iOS on iphone7, as Android on Crystalsky.
All DJi updates have always been done since the first moment, when i go out to fly i searchs for the faults in the environment.
Just have to go out to test the latest.22 app version, but stormy weather.

So i have the Spark that i have ordered..!
2018-1-3
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

JMR58 Posted at 2018-1-3 10:05
...there are more DJi Spark users in eu that have no problems flying on wifi! I never owned OMG!! cable. As i have posted screenshots before reaching 500m or more on wifi 5.8g, i won't post them again.
I use as well iOS on iphone7, as Android on Crystalsky.
All DJi updates have always been done since the first moment, when i go out to fly i searchs for the faults in the environment.

The only reason why you are able to fly that long via WiFi in Europe is because Iphone uses FCC standards, not European CE (essentialy, you are breaking a law). Don't know whether it is possible but if you forced an Iphone to CE standards, you would have the same problems as the rest of us .
2018-1-3
Use props
xfirf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-3 09:49
Don’t mind hallmark and watchberger they are self appointed forum trolls and subvert threads they don’t agree with.

Bottom line it is a perfectly reasonable question that dji can answer, hallmark and watchberger are not affiliated with dji and their opinions are just as meaningless as all the other users and just blind speculation. If they are tired of seeing so many threads about this they don’t have to read them.

And the 4738347283 thread about this topic will surely reveal whatever the issues are and when they will be fixed.

I understand that otg support would be great (again :-D) but flossing the forum with more threads instead of replying on others about the same topic is not constructive.
It’s trolling and flaming.
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-3 09:59
How about we let the others to decide which one of us tells the truth and who is trying to insult the others ? ;)

I think that would be just fine, seen as you still can’t answer the question.
2018-1-3
Use props
Filip3rd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39390 ft
Iran

Have you recognized that most of  “I get a error ... Spark sucks” then after a day or two they say oh by the way I was using OTG  - are newbies? (My 5 years sons does the same thing. How broke the toy? I don’t know it was broken when I got it ) And they just got the Spark and are experts on OTG and how it should be engineered!!!
2018-1-3
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 10:10
I think that would be just fine, seen as you still can’t answer the question.

Which question would that be ? Since DJI obviously supports the OTG cable to send the flight data and video to DJI Goggles, it is apparently able to do so with DJI GO 4 app in a phone as well (you can't deny it as it works in older versions even now). This is pure logic you are totally ignoring.
2018-1-3
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

Is obvius that hallmark and watchberger they are trolls or masked employees of Dji.
They play the part that the Dji communication office orders and repeatedly do not even know what they're talking about.
Please stop this farce
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-3 10:16
Which question would that be ? Since DJI obviously supports the OTG cable to send the flight data and video to DJI Goggles, it is apparently able to do so with DJI GO 4 app in a phone as well (you can't deny it as it works in older versions even now). This is pure logic you are totally ignoring.

Exactly but show me where it says it is supported or instructed to do so while using monitor device, you can’t but we can show you where it is not supported.
If it’s logic why is it not working and why don’t you send your drone back because it’s faulty.
2018-1-3
Use props
web_parrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

dansmar Posted at 2018-1-3 09:49

IBID :-)
If I could add a "feature" to this forum it would be something like that offered on MavicPilots or SparkPilots.... It allows me to " ...Ignore... " certain posters (or posers) when I find myself tiring of their words.  Until then, on this forum, I'll use the "page down" key.  :-)
2018-1-3
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Czechia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 10:41
Exactly but show me where it says it is supported or instructed to do so while using monitor device, you can’t but we can show you where it is not supported.

Look. It is pointless to argue about it. I am an IT worker. I see the hardware, I see the software, I see the same OTG cable you can use for both DJI Goggles and the phone. The Goggles and the phone are essentially the same (for this purpouse), a hardware with a display and a DJI app that uses the SAME flight data and video. When it works on one device, it must work on the other (unless you intentionally/accidentaly screw it up like in the last two or three releases of DJI GO 4). This is an engineering point of view, marketing will keep telling a different story if it helps boost the sales of larger and more expensive drones.

Also an update for JMR58, please read the following thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-121396-1-1.html. The important part begins in the middle of a second page. A confirmation for you and the others in Europe that if you are able to fly spark as far as you are, it's due to a fact that your phones are violating the CE standards used in Europe. Hopefully this will be resolved soon as well.
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Vyborny83 Posted at 2018-1-3 10:55
Look. It is pointless to argue about it. I am an IT worker. I see the hardware, I see the software, I see the same OTG cable you can use for both DJI Goggles and the phone. The Goggles and the phone are essentially the same (for this purpouse), a hardware with a display and a DJI app that uses the SAME flight data and video. When it works on one device, it must work on the other (unless you intentionally/accidentaly screw it up like in the last two or three releases of DJI GO 4). This is an engineering point of view, marketing will keep telling a different story if it helps boost the sales of larger and more expensive drones.

Also an update for JMR58, please read the following thread https://forum.dji.com/thread-121396-1-1.html. The important part begins in the middle of a second page. A confirmation for you and the others in Europe that if you are able to fly spark as far as you are, it's due to a fact that your phones are violating the CE standards used in Europe. Hopefully this will be resolved soon as well.

Well as I said why not return your drone because it’s suppose to have otg working, surely that’s the right thing to do it’s faulty so return, or is it because you work in IT that somehow your stuck with it.

The thread asked what is dji official position on otg, and that is it is not supported , that’s what they call plain simple English.
2018-1-3
Use props
Raz Taz
lvl.4

Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-1-3 11:03
Well as I said why not return your drone because it’s suppose to have otg working, surely that’s the right thing to do it’s faulty so return, or is it because you work in IT that somehow your stuck with it.

The thread asked what is dji official position on otg, and that is it is not supported , that’s what they call plain simple English.

You are a pathetic troll
2018-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Raz Taz Posted at 2018-1-3 11:05
You are a pathetic troll

Is that the best contribution you have to offer. Who am I trolling .

If your struggling to answer or post a question in this thread then I would consider that trolling.
2018-1-3
Use props
Mildman
lvl.4

United Kingdom

The fact that spark worked with the OTG cable from the beginning only supports that conclusion. It still does work, you can fly with it even now. The only difference is that through software update they scrambled the output it sends to the DJI GO app (this I call a real hack and a nasty one). The timing of that action (shortly before the christmas) and the long time it takes them to fix it, pushes me to think it was made deliberately to boost the sales of Mavics (really stupid decision since in my case it had a completely different effect, I will not buy products from a company that is crippling them after a release). It's my oppinion, feel free to disagree.

Great speech...totally agree.
2018-1-3
Use props
Pepere
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-1-3 09:42
What else could they state in your opinion other than that they are working on it and that it will come when ready?
Yes, people have believed it would come with version .22 and I had hoped for it too. But it never had been promised for that version. So it will come with another one, whenever it will be ready for release. Recent statements suggest that it might be soon but we'll see. Just repeating the same again and again really doesn't help anyone I believe.
If you have read the other threads you also know what the solution for the time being is (version .15) and it works perfectly well.

As an admitted newbie, maybe the veterans can better speak to how long OTG/WiFi has been an issue in relation to the Spark

Does DJI condone use of OTG with v.15?

In my opinion what DJI should say is something definitive: would they endorse a statement such as ; ‘DJI is aware that there are significant issues controlling the Spark with WiFi connection, but this is our recommended mode of piloting. DJI assumes all responsibility/liability for any incidents which occur in this mode. OTG is not supported in the current versions of DJI Go 4. We do (or do not) condone the use of OTG cable with v.15.’
                                               - OR-
There is currently no safe method to pilot the Spark. The entire Spark fleet is grounded until this issue is rectified
2018-1-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules