Can I take my Mavic Drone to Italy?
20912 23 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bysara.co
lvl.1
Portugal

Hey

I'll be travelling to Venice (Flying from Lisbon) then heading to Bolzano.

I've heard horror stories about security confiscating people's drones at the airport. Is this the case in Italy?

Please let me know.
And if you can, tell me where I can't take the drone in the world- For future reference...

Thank you so much guys!
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, you can fly drones in Italy.
2018-1-3
Use props
Bysara.co
lvl.1
Portugal

A CW Posted at 2018-1-3 11:58
Yes, you can fly drones in Italy.

Thanks. Whats the best way to take it on the plane? Carry-on?
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bysara.co Posted at 2018-1-3 13:13
Thanks. Whats the best way to take it on the plane? Carry-on?

Definitely the batteries as carry on - preferably placing them in lipo safety bags with connector covers. Check with the airline if OK and how many you're allowed - do NOT put lipo's in the main luggage. As for specific flight restrictions in Italy you can read their CAA website.
2018-1-3
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Travelled a fair bit with my drones this year, always in carryon never had a problem at European airports, Dubai, Sri Lanka, Maldives or Iceland.

Nobody even asked. Carried lipo batteries in the same backpack not an issue at all. All transported discharged..
2018-1-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-1-3 13:20
Travelled a fair bit with my drones this year, always in carryon never had a problem at European airports, Dubai, Sri Lanka, Maldives or Iceland.

Nobody even asked. Carried lipo batteries in the same backpack not an issue at all. All transported discharged..

Exactly - always take the batteries as carry on
2018-1-3
Use props
Kermit68
lvl.3
Flight distance : 443753 ft
Italy

You can take the drone in Italy without any problem. For flight regulation you should check Enac website (Italian equivalent of FAA) but I fear that it could be in Italian only.
Probably is going to be easier if you install on your phone "Italian airspace lite" and check where you can fly and where you can't.  It's in English and it's pretty straightforward to use.

Have fun
2018-1-3
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

1) yes you can bring it in Italy.. none will confiscate it LOL
2) take it with you carry on bag !
3) do NOT fly in downtown ( like in Rome) is forbidden ... but if they don't see you ;)
4) have a look at my youtube channel
2018-1-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

You can learn the drone regulations of the country which you are going to. BTW, check the location to see if it is a No Fly Zone previously might also be a part of the preparation. http://www.dji.com/flysafe
Have a nice trip!
2018-1-3
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

https://www.uavsystemsinternatio ... y/italy-drone-laws/
2018-1-3
Use props
keiser08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 446355 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went to Italy last year. No problems bringing the drone. Most of the places that are popular like Rome, Venice, Florence pretty much ban drones. I mean you can fly them and I've seen other peoples footage but make sure you don't get caught or or don't crash your drone on top of tourist or else be ready to go to prison. One thing you can do though is to fly at sunrise where there is less people. I only flew my drone at Positano because I didn't want to risk it, I wished I had flown though. Good luck!
2018-1-3
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-1-3 13:20

Did you visit Sri Lanka last year, and did you do all registration? I will go there next april and would bring my Mavic, but registration and getting a permit  seems to be a horror.
2018-1-4
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

I would ask the airline, most airlines no problem. Just discharge the batteries (not completely) and store them in safetybags.
2018-1-4
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Italy is one of the best places to fly. When I was there in Tropea nobody even cared. Awesome experience.

2018-1-4
Use props
José Orlando
lvl.1
Brazil

Bucefalo Posted at 2018-1-3 16:06
1) yes you can bring it in Italy.. none will confiscate it LOL
2) take it with you carry on bag !
3) do NOT fly in downtown ( like in Rome) is forbidden ... but if they don't see you ;)

Ciao, vado in Italia in ottobre e vorrei portarlo con me, il mio drone.
Grazie per la tua informazione
Potresti dirmi se ho bisogno di un'assicurazione? È obbligatorio?
Grazie!
saluti
2018-7-23
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Italy generally yes but not in lots of tourist areas.  Venice they're banned and people have been fined 10s of thousands of euros.  Same for rome.  So always check.
2018-7-23
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

José Orlando Posted at 2018-7-23 13:18
Ciao, vado in Italia in ottobre e vorrei portarlo con me, il mio drone.
Grazie per la tua informazione
Potresti dirmi se ho bisogno di un'assicurazione? È obbligatorio?

Jose puoi portare il tuo drone in italia ! ma in alcuni grandi città il drone NON puo' volare ! al centro di Roma è illegale!
se ti trovano a far volare il drone c'è il sequestro e una multa molto alta !
Lontano dalle grandi città non ci sono molti problemi !
2018-8-26
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You can fly it in *ITALY* but NOT fly it in Venice or Rome (Amongst other areas).
They can and have issued large fines for people caught.
2018-8-26
Use props
alexmbraMav
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

Turists are not even allowed to sit down in Venice. rsrsrsrsrs

https://www.theepochtimes.com/to ... -rules_2666610.html
2018-9-29
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can carry on the batteries and check in the drone itself for far less drama.
2018-9-29
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i pack everything in my carry on.  my drone stuff including batteries are all in overhead with me..   never had an issue with it yet..  infact i usually leave it in my backpack and toss it threw x ray after removing anything else they ask for.. run into no issues yet.   i rather not even tell them i have a drone or batteries because even if they dont have bad intentions, lot of under trained staff working in TSA/airport security around the world who may not know and just easier to say no and not take any risk or embarrassment of seeming like they dont know. but sadly, also alot of crooked staff too that have sticky fingers and take things..
2018-9-29
Use props
José Orlando
lvl.1

Bucefalo Posted at 2018-8-26 16:13
Jose puoi portare il tuo drone in italia ! ma in alcuni grandi città il drone NON puo' volare ! al centro di Roma è illegale!
se ti trovano a far volare il drone c'è il sequestro e una multa molto alta !
Lontano dalle grandi città non ci sono molti problemi !

Grazie, Bucefalo. Userò il Drone in Costiera Amalfitana in zone disabitate.
2018-10-1
Use props
José Orlando
lvl.1

gnirtS Posted at 2018-7-23 13:42
Italy generally yes but not in lots of tourist areas.  Venice they're banned and people have been fined 10s of thousands of euros.  Same for rome.  So always check.

Grazie, gnirtS!
2018-10-1
Use props
djiuser_0d7Wttz21jBw
New

United States

So let's say I wanted to take a drone shot of the colosseum as long as I'm away from a populated area I can fly it straight up where I am from and take videos/photos from where I'm at of the colosseum as long as it's not over it?
2018-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules