Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying with Spark in EU from a drone novice point of view
722 1 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jukov
lvl.3
Flight distance : 38563 ft
Slovakia

As a landscape photographer and a platonic flying lover, I was amazed by the birthday gift I've received this year - DJI Spark. What a wonderful piece of technology, what a joy to fly it! And how many new ways how to try to capture the beauty of nature and the world around us.

As a landscape photographer, I’m making videos and photographs and I’m selling my works through some agencies. I’m very satisfied with the quality of footage from Spark, both video and photo. Spark has a small chip, but I think DJI is able to manage its limitations very well

I have got just 14 starts on my belt, so there are just a few experiences from a novice point of view. Every time I'm flying Spark it is like an adrenaline trip. It is very easy to lose connection.

I’m living in Slovakia, an EU country with standard mobile networks and wifi regulations

When you are flying without RC controller, just with mobile and drone, you should not go out without “beginner’s mode” ON - so or so you will lose signal if you would fly more than 30 meters from your mobile phone (in my case Moto G5, an android phone)

With RC controller you can triple your destination, but you can lose connection from 70 m abruptly, so be ready to hit Return to home as soon as it occurs.

Next is just my explanation and I may be very wrong here. The problem is, that RC controller and mobile phone are connected in 2.4 GHz (I think) so the drone – controller connection is on 5.8 GHz. There is no way how to switch these settings via DJI GO4 app. The only way should be to connect RC controller and mobile phone with OTG cable. Sadly, the actual version of firmware does not support OTG connection, but it is testing (by DJI), and I hope it will be in the next update.

I hope that OTG cable should again triple the reachable distance, somewhere around 250 – 300 meters. That should be much better. I’ve ordered that signal extender, will be here in next week / very eager to see, if it will work.

Flying time is around 10 minutes with 20% reserve, it is around zero Celsius at this time of year. I have got two batteries now, not enough, so I'm thinking about buying portable power pack.

Hope not to lose my drone until updated firmware or extender will be at here. I love to work with it.

sur2.png

SUR, a wetland near Bratislava, Slovakia

DJI_0016s.jpg

Liptov, a Northern part of Slovakia

2018-1-3
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Looks like a beautiful place
2018-1-3