Support for Android is typically awful from DJI
1640 8 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wanstronian
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Got my Osmo today, fired it up with my Google Pixel phone. The Osmo itself seems fine, but the app is, to be blunt, utter cr*p.

There are no resolutions listed under the camera icon - it just shows a blank "list."

Triple-clicking the trigger turns the camera off. It won't turn back on again. Then the app crashes.

Reinstalled app a few times, behaviour is consistent.

It's unforgiveable that DJI neglect the world's no.1 mobile OS. Their devs should be ashamed of themselves. This app is not fit for use.

It's the same thing with their drones - they just don't give a damn about Android users. Android made up 80% of 2017 new mobile OS worldwide, not sure what business model DJI must be following. Perhaps next they'll release the app on Windows phone? Or Nokia 3210?

Can anybody advise whether the Filmic app works ok on Pixel phone on Osmo? Before I spend £12.

2018-1-3
Use props
wanstronian
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ha! It goes from bad to worse. I reinstalled yet again, accepted all the permissions, now when I press "Record" it says I need to give access to the microphone. So I check and guess what! It has the permission set. So I restart the app - same (mis)behaviour.

Oh - and also, it won't connect to an Android phone if an iPhone is in range with BT switched on. Shocking.

This app simply can't have passed basic testing. Please DJI, there are thousands of forum posts complaining that the Android app doesn't work. Why aren't you doing something? Do you really not care at all about your customers? Please explain to us all.
2018-1-3
Use props
triplemike
New

United States

wanstronian Posted at 2018-1-3 12:57
Ha! It goes from bad to worse. I reinstalled yet again, accepted all the permissions, now when I press "Record" it says I need to give access to the microphone. So I check and guess what! It has the permission set. So I restart the app - same (mis)behaviour.

Oh - and also, it won't connect to an Android phone if an iPhone is in range with BT switched on. Shocking.

I'm also having this issue on my Google Pixel 2. The DJI Go app says it needs permission to use the mic, but it already has permission. Osmo won't let me record. Very frustrating. Please help.
2018-1-3
Use props
fans31a348ce
lvl.2
United States

I've been going through all the Posts on this forum and the only solution I've found is to enable beautify mode and use 720p but app will still crash in selfie mode.
DJI doesn't seem to care much about Android. they seem to give IOS priority. The issue is not with pixel phones it's with Android 8.0 and higher.
I am seriously thinking about getting rid of my Osmo mobile and getting the EVO Shift. Their app looks exactly like the DJI app but performs better and has way more options.lets face it the DJI hardware is only motors and buttons with out the software.
2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Wanstronianour, you have sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience with our APP, please allow us to help with your issues one by one.
1. There are no resolutions listed under the camera icon - it just shows a blank "list."
There are two positions which can select resolution:
Camera icon:
GTScreenshot_20180106_152801.png GTScreenshot_20180106_152820.png
Setting icon on the upper right coner:
GTScreenshot_20180106_152851.png

2. Triple-clicking the trigger turns the camera off. It won't turn back on again. Then the app crashes.
May we have the crash log which can be exported in mobile device/SD card/DJI/dji.pilot/LOG/CRASH for further analysis if possible?

3. When I press "Record" it says I need to give access to the microphone.
We have been aware of this issue and our engineers are working on it, hope the issue will get sorted out soon, thanks for your patience.

4. It won't connect to an Android phone if an iPhone is in range with BT switched on.
No matter what mobile device you are using, the Osmo Mobile may fail to be detected if other Bluetooth has been turned on, pleaser make sure other Bluetooth has been turned off when use Osmo Mobile.

We do care about customers' feedback and experience with our product, since there are many Android devices keep updating and being released, we are also working on keeping improving our product to make it compatible with more devices and make customers have a better experience with us. We appreciate your understanding.

2018-1-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

triplemike Posted at 2018-1-3 19:43
I'm also having this issue on my Google Pixel 2. The DJI Go app says it needs permission to use the mic, but it already has permission. Osmo won't let me record. Very frustrating. Please help.

Mike, we have been aware of this issue and our engineers are working on it, I believe it will get sorted out soon, appreciate your kind patience.
Temporarily, we suggest to use HID function, which means when you connect to Osmo Mobile's Bluetooth, you can also use the stock Camera APP in your phone for shooting, Osmo Mobile could just to a stabilizer. The shutter and video buttons in the handle can be used to control the volume button in your phone, thereby to trigger the video and picture taking.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your patience.
2018-1-5
Use props
fans07509e3c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 101978 ft
France

Yeah i agree bad support for android still no 4k resolution on samsung note8 with osmo mobile as many custumer complaining since more than 4 month ! Too bad !
2018-1-6
Use props
Anunaki
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1522346 ft
  • >>>

I just received my osmo mobile 2 and currently using it with my Galaxy note 8. As mentioned above the compabilty with android is a joke, I dont even have the option to use slow motion.

Have I known this discrimination towards android I would never have bought the osmo mobile.

Very strange I must say.
2018-5-26
Use props
Hurley1718
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I was in the same boat when i first got my OM2 to use with my LG v30. When it finally arrived it did not support 4K or 60fps in a higher resolution on my device. I know from reading other posts that DJI has not been able to test every Android on the market for compatibility and that in turn frustrates us as consumers. It's also hard when Android has a ton of different OS's for each new generation of phone. This also adds to the difficulty of testing.

For me it makes no difference between iOS or Android. I had the ability to swap my device out for an iPhone 8+ and now everything on the OM2 works as i had hoped. Maybe something will be fixed by DJI on the Android side but if their focus is on drones then the gimble devices might be on a slower development track. Hope you get it worked out.
2018-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules