Idea for MAVIC2 - integrated GPS tracker (or as Accessory)
1409 15 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shobull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5420 ft
Slovakia

Hello - i would like to propose an idea (or possible inovation) for Dji drones (possible mavic 2) - we often hear of flyaways or crashes, when you cant find your drone, or it runs of the battery. Some pilots are using GPS trackers - but as we were informed in previous topic by admin - dji is prohibiting using third party GPS trackers and it may void your warranty. LINK
So why dji does not provide official DJI tracker as acessory or it could integrate it in new generations of drone like MAVIC2.
It could have independent battery, sim card for data connection or just for sending SMS with GPS coordinates or via data connection last route of drone when connection with RC was disconnected. Simple phones does not have very heavy batteries and can be on standby for days - when you send SMS to your drone - it activates the GPS and sends you the coordinates. Everything oficialy from DJI as acessory or integrated.

2018-1-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Mavic Pro has GPS module, but you might not able to track when the drone is disconnected. Thank you for bringing us the attention, will forward this idea to our engineers. Appreciate your suggestion.
2018-1-3
Use props
BRIDEL
lvl.2
United States

Good call !!!.
2018-1-24
Use props
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

It's a good idea. Seconding it!
I currently have a loc8tor tag attached to my Mavic. It's not a GPS tracker, but rather a directional tag with a range of about 100m. Handy when you know the approximate location and are doing a search patter.
And official independently-powered GPS tracker would be far better.
2018-1-24
Use props
BRIDEL
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-3 19:16
Mavic Pro has GPS module, but you might not able to track when the drone is disconnected. Thank you for bringing us the attention, will forward this idea to our engineers. Appreciate your suggestion.

After the 12 months care refresh and warranty are over . So until  DJI finds a good solution to integrate  the track system, I think  the tracker  option is good  decision  to  find  the drone.
Now there are two top option The trackimo and the Marco Polo. If you look amazon trackimo has 24% very bad reviews.  Nothing is perfect but 24% makes me think twice.
2018-1-24
Use props
Chriswood718
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22198 ft
United States

Good Idea prevent flyaways
2018-1-24
Use props
BRIDEL
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-1-3 19:16

Thor, pls help me to understand all this about trackers o not trackers
Got a mavic pro with crystalsky monitor.
If i am in a remote area , NO wifi, BUT with gps satellites ,  Does not the Crystalsky record the fly waypoints    ?.  
I am really concern installing a tracker device  and calibrating  it up every time i am going to fly , plus the potential issues by installing it near where the drone antenna is.
Thanks in advance for your advise and comment
2018-1-26
Use props
BillTheDroneRev
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1211427 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a great idea but it's probably too late as the Mavic Pro II will be out sometime this year.
2018-1-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

BRIDEL Posted at 2018-1-26 20:04
Thor, pls help me to understand all this about trackers o not trackers
Got a mavic pro with crystalsky monitor.
If i am in a remote area , NO wifi, BUT with gps satellites ,  Does not the Crystalsky record the fly waypoints    ?.  

It is okay flying without the internet connection. The drone itself has GPS module, if the pilot flies the drone in a location with fine GPS signal, the flight path will be recorded and all functions should work properly (except live stream and map cache etc.).
2018-2-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One thing to keep in mind is that many of the GPS trackers rely on a SIM card and mobile phone cell system to operate and relay the GPS co-ordinates to your mobile. Out in the wilds mobile cell signals can be very poor to non existent.
2018-2-5
Use props
BRIDEL
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-5 03:21
It is okay flying without the internet connection. The drone itself has GPS module, if the pilot flies the drone in a location with fine GPS signal, the flight path will be recorded and all functions should work properly (except live stream and map cache etc.).

Please let see if I am following you well:
1. I have my mavic pro with the crystalsky monitor.
2. I have downloaded all the maps
3. If i have good number of  satellites in a remote location, NO WIFI
then
4 all function should work
BUT you said  
A - NO live stream why ?
B - NO map cache why if i had downloaded the maps

Thanks
2018-2-8
Use props
BRIDEL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-5 11:50
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the GPS trackers rely on a SIM card and mobile phone cell system to operate and relay the GPS co-ordinates to your mobile. Out in the wilds mobile cell signals can be very poor to non existent.

I have these question, please help to understand
1. I have my mavic pro with crystalsky
2. What would happen with the gps tracker  if I fly in a remote area with good number of satellites  ?  may be a dumb question. Sorry..
2018-2-8
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BRIDEL Posted at 2018-2-8 11:05
I have these question, please help to understand
1. I have my mavic pro with crystalsky
2. What would happen with the gps tracker  if I fly in a remote area with good number of satellites  ?  may be a dumb question. Sorry..

"2. What would happen with the gps tracker  if I fly in a remote area with good number of satellites  ?  may be a dumb question. Sorry.."

The GPS tracker I refer to would be a separate unit that you attach to the aircraft, and is not related to the GPS receiver in the aircraft.

If you had an external GPS tracker fitted, and you needed to use it where the aircraft perhaps got caught in a strong wind and drifted away beyond range of the RC. Then the GPS tracker would be aware of where it was (a good number of satellites),  but it then needs to relay that information back to you, which is done using a cellphone sim card to transmit a message with its position. However if there is no cellphone reception where the aircraft and GPS tracker have come down, then the tracker has no way of transmitting this information to you.

2018-2-8
Use props
BRIDEL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-8 11:16
"2. What would happen with the gps tracker  if I fly in a remote area with good number of satellites  ?  may be a dumb question. Sorry.."

The GPS tracker I refer to would be a separate unit that you attach to the aircraft, and is not related to the GPS receiver in the aircraft.

Thanks for your feedback, but I got more confused
1. I  satellites number OK in a remote area
2. Mavic pro loaded with trackimo tracker
3. NO wifi, no cellulars at all
4. Drone fly with GPS and downloaded maps plus crystalsky monitor

Why do i need cellulars or wifi
Unless
RC / crystalsky can not provide the fly path ?
Trackimo tracker can not provide the fly path if there is not wifi ? Is the trackimo uselless if tthere is no wifi  availability ?
thanks , so hard to understand this, sorry

2018-2-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BRIDEL Posted at 2018-2-10 10:15
Thanks for your feedback, but I got more confused
1. I  satellites number OK in a remote area
2. Mavic pro loaded with trackimo tracker

"Is the trackimo uselless if tthere is no wifi  availability ?"

No, But the tracker is no use without cell network.
2018-2-10
Use props
BRIDEL
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-10 11:48
"Is the trackimo uselless if tthere is no wifi  availability ?"

No, But the tracker is no use without cell network.

Thanks for your feedback
Let's see, if i have a GPS ( garmin ) i do not need to have wifi to go back and follow the tracks
I think the trackimo is same like garmin gps, but i may agreed with you , there will be a need to get some wifi device  capability to follow the tracks.  Is that what you are saying ?
Now on the there are other tracker like marco polo, it has a device you can follow the tracks with NO need  of Wifi , I think so or may be I am wrong. no sure.
2018-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules