Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark gets hot
5772 12 2018-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WacoJohn
lvl.1
United States

I have had my Spark for 2 days.  I am just learning about it and not getting very far.  I have a million questions, but the main thing is how hot is it supposed to get?  
Trying to do this, do that, do this do that, it has spent a lot of time sitting on a table top with its lights flashing ... while I tried different 'set up tasks'.  I have yet to see a motor spin, .. and during that time, the aricraft gets surprisingly hot to the touch ... at least in the area of the utmost top surface.  

This is after I have precharged batteries fully on a "3 hole" flat charging device, then installed a charged battery into the Spark ... and "precharged" the controller.  

Sooo, ... "how hot does it get?" you say?  Uhhhm, . maybe 90F or more(?)

While I am at it ... I am getting nowhere with what to do.  To my surprise, there doesn't seem to be a step by step procedure ... some in a PDF user guide, some in a tutorial, some here, some there.  That's OK ... I just don't want to damage this product.  

Seems there are 3 major components ... the airship, the controller, and my Android phone.  So far, I fail to get how they work together.  I am supposing the airship can be flown with controller, ... for those who do not HAVE a cellular phone, ... OR, without a controller but WITH a phone.  So, is there a circumstance where it is flown with BOTH the phone and controller??  Must be, because the controller has a tray to hold the phone.  Sounds awesome, but I don't yet get each componenent's major role.

I knew I was in trouble when I opened the box ... the 'booklets' are impossible to read, and I have not yet found the USB charging device ... uhm,.. the little box that plugs into a 110 socket and usb cable.  That charger did not come in the box .. which was factory sealed.  Fortunately, I have several of those lying around.  

I have since downloaded 'guides' ... and now, I have the controller in my lap, airship on table top, laptop computer open to the PDF guide, and cell phone in my shirt pocket .... wondering how to at least see a motor spin.  I DID read in the SIMULATOR (which doesn't seem to be working .... yet) to remove rotors, ... so since then, have left 'em off ... until I get some of this initialization accomplished.

Like I said, . VERY new to this.
2018-1-3
Use props
Zbig
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349 ft
Poland

Keep in mind that the Spark packs some serious computational horsepower under its tiny hood. Like any powerful computer, it gets a bit toasty and that's why it has an internal fan to cool its head off. The fact that it doesn't seem to be doing much while just sitting  powered on on your desk, doesn't change much in that respect. In short: it's perfectly normal for it to get warm.
2018-1-3
Use props
Brambleman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20627 ft
United States

Zbig Posted at 2018-1-3 17:12
Keep in mind that the Spark packs some serious computational horsepower under its tiny hood. Like any powerful computer, it gets a bit toasty and that's why it has an internal fan to cool its head off. The fact that it doesn't seem to be doing much while just sitting  powered on on your desk, doesn't change much in that respect. In short: it's perfectly normal for it to get warm.

Yup, 24 processing cores in that little package gets pretty toasty for sure! I haven't read any reason to worry, though I do know quite a few people who point a fan to blow on it while it is sitting on but not moving. That should help dissipate that extra stagnant heat.
2018-1-3
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Mine gets warm just sitting too, I think it's normal as stated above.

If you bought the fly more combo, the charging bits are inside the fly more carry bag if I remember correctly.

The phone is actually pretty important to use with the RC as it will give you the live video feed, battery remaining, aircraft status, and speed/direction information among other things.

Again if you bought the fly more combo, the aircraft should already be bound to the RC, so with the phone you will be connecting to the RC's WiFi. Turn on aircraft, turn on RC, connect to RC's WiFi with phone, open DJI Go 4 app and do any requested updates. After that you should be good to go.
2018-1-3
Use props
WacoJohn
lvl.1
United States

Firehawk989 Posted at 2018-1-3 17:51

If you bought the fly more combo, the charging bits are inside the fly more carry bag if I remember correctly.

WOW .. what great and friendly replies.  I feel much better now, .. will put a fan blowing on the craft when sitting.  Great idea.  I also learned something.  I was kinda terrified to ask, .. because I knew just from the weight this is NO TOY.  I can easily perceive there is a TON of power in this system.  Thank you all.

I noticed the aircraft has its ssid and the controller has its own.  I have not connected any WIFI except to the aircraft ... maybe that's one of my fundamental problems.  Back to the user guide.  Thank you all again.
2018-1-3
Use props
WacoJohn
lvl.1
United States

Firehawk989 Posted at 2018-1-3 17:51

WOW .. what great and friendly replies.  I feel much better now, .. will put a fan blowing on the craft when sitting.  Great idea.  I also learned something.  I was kinda terrified to ask, .. because I knew just from the weight this is NO TOY.  I can easily perceive there is a TON of power in this system.  Thank you all.

I noticed the aircraft has its ssid and the controller has its own.  I have not connected any WIFI except to the aircraft ... maybe that's one of my fundamental problems.  Back to the user guide.  Thank you all again.
2018-1-3
Use props
WacoJohn
lvl.1
United States

WOW .. what great and friendly replies.  I feel much better now, .. will put a fan blowing on the craft when sitting.  Great idea.  

Yes, ... I have the fly more combo.  I checked everything including the bag .... and no charging device.  Not a big problem though.

I also learned something.  I was kinda terrified to ask, .. because I knew just from the weight this is NO TOY.  I can easily perceive there is a TON of power in this system.  Thank you all.

2018-1-3
Use props
Firehawk989
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

If both the aircraft and the RC are showing SSIDs then likely they are not paired anymore. When the RC is paired to the AC, the AC's SSID should disappear. You may have to re-bind the RC to the AC.
2018-1-3
Use props
WacoJohn
lvl.1
United States

Firehawk989 Posted at 2018-1-3 18:31
If both the aircraft and the RC are showing SSIDs then likely they are not paired anymore. When the RC is paired to the AC, the AC's SSID should disappear. You may have to re-bind the RC to the AC.

Ah!!  That's why I never saw an SSID for whichever one it was to connect to.  They were paired.  Thank you.
2018-1-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

WacoJohn Posted at 2018-1-3 18:49
Ah!!  That's why I never saw an SSID for whichever one it was to connect to.  They were paired.  Thank you.

Hi, sir. When spark's temperature become higher, its internal fans will improve its speed to cool down your spark. Please do not feel worry about it if the fan works well. Have a nice flight!
2018-1-3
Use props
John Robertson5
New

United States

You should join the Facebook page for the DJI spark. I see comments all the time, including one just from the last couple of days about the same issue. So, yes, the spark can be flown with the controller and a smart phone or small tablet, but the Wi-Fi of the smart device has to be set to connect to the spark and not do any other nearby Wi-Fi.
2021-9-1
Use props
WacoJohn
lvl.1
United States

John Robertson5 Posted at 9-1 15:53
You should join the Facebook page for the DJI spark. I see comments all the time, including one just from the last couple of days about the same issue. So, yes, the spark can be flown with the controller and a smart phone or small tablet, but the Wi-Fi of the smart device has to be set to connect to the spark and not do any other nearby Wi-Fi.

Confessions, confessions.  I have not touched this great product since the last time I posted here ...YEARS ago.  Between all that has happened since, I had to abandon the hobby.  Would love to resume.  Unfortunately, Facebook is not an option to me but thank you for the tip.  I have looked at the product in sadness for a couple of years now.  Just been too busy for it.  Will try to revive the effort.  Thank you all for the tremendous help.
2021-9-1
Use props
WacoJohn
lvl.1
United States

John Robertson5 Posted at 9-1 15:53

Confessions, confessions.  I have not touched this great product since the last time I posted here ...YEARS ago.  Between all that has happened since, I had to abandon the hobby.  Would love to resume.  Unfortunately, Facebook is not an option to me but thank you for the tip.  I have looked at the product in sadness for a couple of years now.  Just been too busy for it.  Will try to revive the effort.  Thank you all for the tremendous help.
2021-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules